“Excellent Ramen...” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night
New Delhi
“Excellent Ramen...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I was flying back from LA on ANA and planned a stop at Tokyo. My son studying in UCLA asked me to try Japanese food. FYI my liking for Sushi is just average and I avoid the fried stuff served in at Japanese places. Saw the reviews about IPPUDO online, and decided to try it. Was a bit difficult to locate the place, came out to be an average small shop, but believe me THIS WAS THE BEST MEAL DURING MY STAY. They had a waiting time of 30 minutes.

My suggestion: Never leave Tokyo without a Ramen @ IPPUDO. Thats what best I can say.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

92% Recommend
Singapore, Singapore
“Superb ramen!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Ordered the Akamaru Special. The server asked if I liked my noodles "hard" or "soft"... I liked my noodles al dente so I chose "hard". I was not disappointed...

The soup base was delicious and the noodles was just right. But the best thing was the pork belly and egg. The pork belly was so "melt-in-your-mouth" tender and delicious! Yummy! The egg was gorgeously done with a soft yolk, slurp!

The free flow of side dishes were fantastic, with the spicy bean sprouts being my fav.

Also ordered some gyozas. They came in a mini size just right to pop one right into the mouth, they were very well done and tasty. This was a dish that complimented the sake that we had!

Soup ladles were used to tastefully decorate the dining area and with warm lighting, made the dining experience a fulfilling one.

Restaurant was also very child friendly, our server delighted our brood with lollies just as we were stepping out into the night!

All in all a fantastic dining experience here in Ronppongi.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Tokyo, Japan
“Best RAMEN in Tokyo!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Japanese are crazy about their Ramen and rightfully so. These delicious bowls of goodness will top off an evening of drinks and ward off any nasty symptoms of an inevitable alcohol induced hangover.

Ippudo, by far, is the best you'll find in the Tokyo area. Sure, there are little shops here and there that serve funked out variations such as Miso Ramen with corn nibblets and crab meat topped off with a creamy slathering of butter but the Ippudo Ramen is what you want.

We'll start off with the soup. It's key, as any Ramen aficionado will attest. It's the base, the life and the flavour of the dish. The Ippudo base is Tonkotsu, or Pork Bone Soup, and it takes over 8 hours of slow stewing overnight to bring out the creamy and hearty deliciousness. Add garlic, ginger, thinly sliced onions and some shiokousho (salt n pepper) for seasoning. Then, splash a bit of sesame oil and grated garlic to infuse more layers. The flavour and taste is simply amazing.

The noodles are a slightly thinner version of the egg noodles that you'll see at other Ramen joints. They appear to have less egg yolks in their version but it's still great with a nice chew to them and match well with the rich soup base.

Next, the toppings. I ordered the deluxe set with チャシュウ/ChaShu (pork shoulder slowly braised in soy sauce), a slice of 蒲鉾/kamaboko (fish cake), spring onions, a perfectly cooked par-boiled egg, wontons and woodear (which I gave to my friend as I don't care for that stuff).

Just in case that's not enough. Ippudo takes it to the next level with the unlimited flow condiments. You have a soy bean dish marinated in spicy oil (mild), a spicy pickled bok choy dish and 紅しょうが (julienne slices of ginger picked in sweet vinegar) for a kick of acid.

What makes Ippudo great is the amazing food, flavour and freebies. What makes Ippudo better than it's fellow Kyushu Ramen purveyor IchiRAN; is it's soup, noodles and atmosphere. The soups are quite similar but I still have to give the edge to Ippudo. Noodles, hands down go to Ippudo as IchiRAN noodles tasty starchy and undercooked. Lastly, the atmosphere. When I go out to eat with friends, I prefer not being segregated from my companions in an ultra-tight little cramped cubical with curtains all around, having to lean back in order to have conversations. IchiRAN's concept is novel but annoying. I'll stick to Ippudo, thank you very much.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Lodi, Italy
“Good pork ramen”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Good tonkotsu ramen under 1000jpy, always line to enter but worth to wait. Next time I'll order kaedama for more noodles.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Malaysia
“Delicious Ramen”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Even though we had tried so many ramen and really convince we can't find anymore surprises in ramen, but my wife prove me wrong.

We are standing in Mori tower, that night is raining nite and we have no idea where is, however, I brave up and ask the customer service in Mori Tower, and we are so lucky the customer service really do know where is Ippudo. Ippudo actually is located on the right hand side direction out from mori tower, walked away about 15 minute till you see a large crossing, cross the road and is hidden behind the same building block of a mini police station.

I have to salute to the extensive knowledge of that customer service !

Back to ramen. I order Shiro 'white' based my wife got the Aka 'red' based. The ramen is amazing, no wonder they won three consecutive first place wins on a nationwide ramen-making competition.

The plus side is, the price is very fair. Even we both order the very 'special' it just cost 1000 & 1050 yen, the basic ramen start from 600 yen. Their gyoza is too taste delicious for a ramen shop standard. :D

• Visited October 2012