“Really lovely food” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Really lovely food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

Went with my boyfriend for our 5 year anniversary. We definitely picked a good place to celebrate- it was very classy! Loved the food they served us. The bill was a lot considering we didn't drink much, but we felt it was well worth it for the experience.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
“Wickedly creative, confronting, playful and divine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

Such a playful approach should be lauded. The bread baked at the table in a hot stone pot was excellent. The use of interesting, if somewhat confronting at times, ingredients was spot on. It was a joyful experience. The food was balanced and the menu told a story at unfolded on the palate. Afterwards, my husband and I could not stop thing about the dishes that we loved. The oyster blackened with a hard shell carrying the feint aroma and taste of yuzu was so wickedly good that I could have eaten 17 more.

Service was flawless. The room was dark enough to be intimate and the kitchen was visible for most of the meal and then a large door was drawn across the window unobtrusively, presumably when the cleaning started.

Certainly a wonderful experience and one that I would gladly repeat. There are so many restaurants we must visit in Tokyo, who knows when we shall return.

• Visited December 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Unique, world calss experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

Chef Narisawa takes one on a unique, mind blowing culinary journey. Each dish is carefully designed and served with care. The wine list represents the best there is. This was rated the 12th best restaurant in the world by San Pellegrino with reason! A must visit in Tokyo. But: go hungry!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
San Francisco, California
“Very Creative Presentation with the Gifts of Nature Theme”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

Went there for lunch however ordered the dinner course. The visual experience was amazing and the service was exceptional. I especially enjoyed the potted plant that was in fact the butter and the use of nature throughout the set course. The only disappointment was the taste. I thought the creativeness did hamper the flavor a bit. I was really looking forward to the Japanese beef however did not live up to my expectations. Overall I did enjoy my experience however for over $600.00 US with no alcohol, I think it is more a once in a lifetime event.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Hong Kong, China
“This is the best restaurant in Asia? Ouch!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

We were pretty hyped up about our visit to this restaurant after it's been rated as "The Best Restaurant in Asia" 2 years in a roll. Japanese are very passionate about food and to be the best in Asia, or even Japan said a lot about this place. Expectation was very high.

The restaurant was fairly easy to find, just a 2-minute walk from the Aoyama Itchome Station. To keep things simple, we ordered the set lunch with an appetizer, main course and dessert. No choice was required.

The first to come was the amuse bouche which was a leave with its root and it tasted exactly like one. It's nice for phototaking but honestly not something I want to put in my mouth. The rest of our lunch also failed to impress. For example, my chicken breast which was slow cooked for one day according to our server, was a bit raw in the inside. The dessert, which was nicely presented, was actually pina colada with passion fruit, mango etc. Enough presentation but what we want genuinely was food that tasted great. Forget about presentation!

Yen 7,000 wasn't a crazy price to pay for a good lunch in Tokyo standard but I would definitely prefer to spend it elsewhere. The usual suspects such as Joel Robuchon at Ebisu, Benoit by Alain Ducaisse etc would be much safer bet.

• 2 of 5 stars Food