“Awesome Seasonal Tasting Menu” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Shanghai, China
“Awesome Seasonal Tasting Menu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

This is one of my favorite restaurants in Tokyo. The seasonal tasting menu is great, offering seven very different courses that allow you to get a sampling of Japanese cuisine. The soba noodles are consistently good (ask for the sesame dipping sauce) and the octopus sashimi was probably the best I have ever had (soft, lots of flavor, not chewy). I would never consider myself a foodie, but would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone traveling to Tokyo.

Visited July 2013

100% Recommend
New York City, New York
“wonderful food, wonderful service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I was very sorry when Honmura An closed in New York five years ago or so, and delighted when I realized that the proprietor had moved back to Tokyo to take over his father's restaurant. I had dinner there twice in the fall (forgot to review at the time), and both meals were exquisite. I had the set menu, and everything was delicious, and the owner and his staff very charming. A real gem.

• Visited October 2012
Singapore, Singapore
“Best alternative”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

We were recommended to this place by a friend, as our favorite soba joint Kanda got burnt down recently. Great soba but I felt the soba texture at Kanda is much better than Honmura. Overall enjoyed our meal and service was good with English menu and english speaking staff. Besides soba the restaurant offered many other choices for non soba fans.

Visited April 2013
bucks
“Fabulous food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I visited honmura an twice while in Tokyo for a weeks break and both times were terrific.
Walking to it the first evening, past an Irish bar and 'seventh heaven', I wasn't too optimistic, but how wrong I was. From the minute we arrived, service was wonderful, with the owner quickly realising that I was relatively new to Japanese food and therefore ensuring that as each course was served, one of his staff would give a very quick set on instructions how best to enjoy.

And so to the food, I will have to admit to being a bit of a foodie, and the food here did not disappoint. From tofu to noodles, through tempura (how light was that batter?) to smelt (small fried fish) everything was delicious, cooked to perfection and served with care.

We returned for our final night dinner..In a city of over 4000 restaurants, in an area that is crammed with eateries and contains lots of the big name hotels, returning says it all.

Great food, good ambiance and a lovely welcome. Please visit!

• Visited January 2013
“What a tasty place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

We went here during the honeymoon. (We have to thank a friend of ours who suggests the We ate a great tempura and for the first time we ate the horse meat! Also the soba was fantastic! I discovered a passion for the ginnan!!! Also the staff is wonderful. A special night in a special place. We love it!! ^_^