“Overbooked. Got transferred to an even shittier place. Didn't stay.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Roppongi Mayflower House

Roppongi Mayflower House
Save Saved
You added Roppongi Mayflower House to your Saves list
Roppongi Mayflower House
4-1-2 Roppongi, Minato, Tokyo Prefecture 106-0032, Japan   |
Ranked #11 of 14 Specialty lodging in Minato
Munich, Germany
“Overbooked. Got transferred to an even shittier place. Didn't stay.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We booked by Hostelz.com and paid 10% in advance. When we arrived got old that they had no room for us. They transferred us to a differnt place which was a real s##thole smelled like cigarettes no light 5th floor no elevator etc. so we didnt accept. They gave us back the 10% but we had to spend half a day of our prcious vacation time to find a different place.

I had read a similar story before but thought it would be just an unlucky incident. I have more the feeling they do it on purpose to rent out the other rooms aswell to helpless tourists.

DONT GO TO MAYFLOWER HOUSE.

Room Tip: Just go elsewhere
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Families
Couples
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Edinburgh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I could write a whole essay on how bad this place is. The price might seem attractive but honestly I wouldn't pay a single penny for that room again. There is no organised reception so you have to call this old guy who runs the place in advance. If you manage to communicate you will get your rat hole. I waited 2 hours to get an ethernet cable. Just horrible. Avoid.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Tokyo, Japan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

This place is: Extremely dirty.
It is RARE seeing mice in Japan, but there I saw 3 times a Giant RAT!
The owner is a grumpy old man, has no respect for his costumers. Also it is very small and it stinks.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Tokyo, Japan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

very dirty
should employ more people for the cleaning, i don't know what the owner are waiting for.
unacceptable for Japanese standard.
the security is not extraordinary too as any body can come in and out.
very bad organisation. very disappointing.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Unknown
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

This place is very badly run. I arrived in Narita airport at 10am, and called to tell them I was on my way. They failed to mention this before, but I wasn't able to check in until 3pm! I was allowed to sit in the lounge until they arrived. The owner seems to be a bit unreliable and unorganized but i found the manager quite accommodating and friendly (I did speak Japanese, that probably helped).

The room I stayed in was so tiny my suitcase barely fit, never mind being able to walk or even put my feet on the ground! It's also unbelievably dirty, which is unexpected for Japan. There were rats, and I doubt the floors were mopped. You have to walk to the shower from your room but not once in my 3 month stay would I risk touching the ground with bare feet, or my socks. I actually avoided touching the walls or table either.

They say they have wireless internet, but they don't. If you have a network cable you can hook it up to a router (if you can find the router). The fridge in my bedroom kept my milk chilled to luke warm, which wasn't the nicest thing when you woke up in 35degrees heat looking forward to a nice bowl of cereal.

The location is incredible, less than 5 minutes from two very central subway stations, as well as the center of nightlife for foreigners. This does make it a little loud at night sometimes but I didn't find it to be too much of a problem.

However, despite how uncomfortable I was there, it was very cheap and was in a prime location. I had an extremely tight budget and location was my number two priority, so it did the job for me. If possible though, I really recommend spending just a small bit more and finding somewhere more reliable.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2010

I booked this hostel via hostelworld.com. I was in Yamagata before Tokyo. Wanted to extend my stay in Yamagata hence I called Mayflower to change 4 nights to 3 nights. The old man who answered couldn't really understand English. So I asked my Japanese friend to email them but no reply from them. When I arrived in Tokyo Roppongi, I found the hostel at a quiet and dark corner. It looked more like an apartment. No reception, no staff and not a single human in sight. I took the elevator and searched floor to floor. On the 7th floor the doors opened to a pitch dark crime-scene-perfect storeroom! Searched the common lounge and no one was there. I was alone (female) and lugging my luggage. What kind of place is this? I asked a passerby to help me call. Same old man answered and said he got no record. The staff apparently work from an office I think. Check in is at 8pm latest. I was there at 8.30pm. So what? If the guests encounter problem after 8pm, who can they look for? And the main gate was open, any psychopath could just walk in! In the end I had to go through the stress of searching for another hostel. Not recommended. Don't be deceived by their website photos.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Edmonton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2009

My friends and I knew it was not going to be a good time once we saw the "reception" area, which was basically like an apartment room but with alcohol bottles and random crap lying everywhere. Our rooms were in another building and it turned out that we had to share the bathroom/shower with some random dude who had been living there for a while. We had to get our own toilet paper, etc, and the doors to the shower didn't even lock. Great. The air con in one room didn't work.

The bonus was when we were in the common room and a giant rat ran across the kitchen. Eww.

Stay away!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Roppongi Mayflower House? Share your experiences!