“Good experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sukiyabashi Jiro Roppongi Hills

Sukiyabashi Jiro Roppongi Hills
6-12-2 Roppongi | Roppongi Hills Keyakizaka-dori 3F, Minato, Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
+81 3-5413-6626
“Good experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

因緣際會臨時去Hills店敲門訂位。
訂到一個禮拜後的週末五點半的位,當天八席櫃檯位未全滿,還有兩個空位。

The sushi is fantastic. But the only one problem is, at that night Takashi san was non stop talking to a regular customer, even we asked him one dish name, he replied: 今さらこんな質問ですか...

To me, the fish is magnificent, but the master is toooo snobbish...
If possible, I rather spent $300 in his father/brother's restro (Ginza).

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Singapore
“Sushi..if you don't understand it do not post here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

Seriously...i can understand that this is not the best sushiya in Tokyo/Japan, but i cannot understand the vitriol some reviewers have directed at this fine establishment. I must that we were initially apprehensive leading up to our meal there. We had heard many stories about the old man and his attitude towards Gaijin. I am happy to report that in this establishment at least, there was nothing but professionalism when it came down to the wire.

The evening started on a slightly sour note, as we were gently chided for not informing the staff prior to our arrival that we spoke no japanese (the reservation had been made by a colleague). So for anyone making a reservation here, please inform them ahead of time.

The evening started with sashimi, and what sashimi it was, fresh, sliced to perfection, delectable morsels. But sashimi is sashimi, we have had good sashimi elsewhere, and were not bowled over by the version here. The selection eludes me, but chutoro, the master's signature hay smoked katsuo and hotate were certainly amongst the offerings

We then moved on to sushi. And what sushi it was. The rice was warm, body temperature actually, and elevated the raw fish to a new level. I highly recommend all visitors to start with sashimi, the elevation of the flavour is simply incredible. Equally a treat is to watch the deft hands of the master at work.

At the end of night i was stuffed. By which time, the master gamely exchanged a few phrases with us in Mandarin, which was a nice surprise. The husband and I even posed for a photo with him. A thoroughly enjoyable meal!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“5 Star Sushi by a Sushi Master!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

We were lucky enough to secure a booking from Australia over the phone before our trip during Easter to Japan. This was for our 2 year anniversary & we had an amazing experience with Jiro's son Yoshi- personally serving us.

I agree with some of the reviewers that you do become quite full quickly. I felt embarrassed that I was not going to be able to finish the courses but I communicated this to the chefs and they understood and gave me the egg dessert dish to finish.
Also in a way I wish that I had the option to refuse the sea urchin and the salmon roe. However my boyfriend thoroughly enjoyed both of these courses.
I also agree with the slight intimidation and nervous experience that comes with dining here as you are in the presence of such well trained sushi chef. I was corrected on my chopstick use but it was to help me enjoy the rest of the courses and not to be a critical insult. If you really appreciate food and sushi in general this dining experience is worth the money for a moment that you will never forget.
Another last tip I would give is to not take the chef's directions too seriously. Enjoy the sushi as if you would normally and use their eating advice to your discretion.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hong Kong, China
“I'm glad I went. But in future, I'm going to Sushi Midori instead...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

This is a small sushi restaurant in the Roppongi Hills area run by the son of the famed Sushi Jiro master.

Pros:
It's obvious to all that the son is just like his dad. An unparalleled master at his art. It is true that you are highly unlikely to ever eat as fine or as tasty sushi ever again.
It's definitely worth coming here and tasting the best sushi that exists on the planet.

Cons:
The meal cost 30,000 yen! This is understandable in view of this man's fame and skill. However when you consider that Sushi Midori (http://www.sushinomidori.co.jp) will serve you a perfectly tasty sushi lunch set (which includes very expensive Chu Toro and the fattiest O Toro) for 2,600 yen (ie. less than 1/10th the price) of eating here. You've got to ask yourself: is it worth it?
Although the food is without equal, the general eating experience is quite stressful. We came as a group and I found the atmosphere nerve-wracking. It was difficult to have a nice simple and relaxing conversation as it seemed to me that we were expected to behave like awe-struck fans watching the great master at work. And sit there slaves to his greatness. I have never had a more unenjoyable or unrelaxing dinner in my life. And to make things worse, this was costing us 30,000 yen for 60 minutes of chef-worship!
To make things worse, the chef STRONGLY encourages you to eat your sushi in one gulp. I take your point that it is probably the best way to enjoy the sublime and exquisite art of his sushi. But for 30,000 yen! For a 60 minute experience, I would really prefer to stretch and savour the experience by eating my sushi in TWO bites instead of one please. Is it really THAT CRIMINAL to eat sushi in TWO bites?

In summary. Sukiyabashi Jiro and the original Sushi Jiro probably offer the BEST sushi on the earth. But at 30,000 yen, with a stressful and foreboding atmosphere. A multi-month waiting list. And this extreme insistence of only eating sushi in ONE bite, I strongly urge you to reconsider your choice of eating here.

If you are fantastically wealthy, feel free to eat here. But if you are of more humble means, take your business elsewhere. You'll get better value for money. And you'll have a much more enjoyable evening.

To conclude. I'm glad I went. But I will never come back.

I would much prefer to go to Sushi Midori (http://www.sushinomidori.co.jp/) and pay 2,600 yen for a perfectly good set menu lunch!

• Visited April 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
brussels
“an island of sushi in tokyo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

we went to sukiyabahi jiro in rappongi. jiro's second son. The chef assistant spoke good english which was very helpful. it all looked like a culinary opera; the movements, the positioning of dishes, the way of serving sushi. One can only stand there as a true spectator. The experience was highly rewarding despite the price.

Visited April 2014