“I'm glad I went. But in future, I'm going to Sushi Midori instead...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sukiyabashi Jiro Roppongi Hills

Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Bethesda, Maryland
“I'm glad I went. But in future, I'm going to Sushi Midori instead...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

This is a small sushi restaurant in the Roppongi Hills area run by the son of the famed Sushi Jiro master.

Pros:
It's obvious to all that the son is just like his dad. An unparalleled master at his art. It is true that you are highly unlikely to ever eat as fine or as tasty sushi ever again.
It's definitely worth coming here and tasting the best sushi that exists on the planet.

Cons:
The meal cost 30,000 yen! This is understandable in view of this man's fame and skill. However when you consider that Sushi Midori (http://www.sushinomidori.co.jp) will serve you a perfectly tasty sushi lunch set (which includes very expensive Chu Toro and the fattiest O Toro) for 2,600 yen (ie. less than 1/10th the price) of eating here. You've got to ask yourself: is it worth it?
Although the food is without equal, the general eating experience is quite stressful. We came as a group and I found the atmosphere nerve-wracking. It was difficult to have a nice simple and relaxing conversation as it seemed to me that we were expected to behave like awe-struck fans watching the great master at work. And sit there slaves to his greatness. I have never had a more unenjoyable or unrelaxing dinner in my life. And to make things worse, this was costing us 30,000 yen for 60 minutes of chef-worship!
To make things worse, the chef STRONGLY encourages you to eat your sushi in one gulp. I take your point that it is probably the best way to enjoy the sublime and exquisite art of his sushi. But for 30,000 yen! For a 60 minute experience, I would really prefer to stretch and savour the experience by eating my sushi in TWO bites instead of one please. Is it really THAT CRIMINAL to eat sushi in TWO bites?

In summary. Sukiyabashi Jiro and the original Sushi Jiro probably offer the BEST sushi on the earth. But at 30,000 yen, with a stressful and foreboding atmosphere. A multi-month waiting list. And this extreme insistence of only eating sushi in ONE bite, I strongly urge you to reconsider your choice of eating here.

If you are fantastically wealthy, feel free to eat here. But if you are of more humble means, take your business elsewhere. You'll get better value for money. And you'll have a much more enjoyable evening.

To conclude. I'm glad I went. But I will never come back.

I would much prefer to go to Sushi Midori (http://www.sushinomidori.co.jp/) and pay 2,600 yen for a perfectly good set menu lunch!

• Visited April 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere

brussels
“an island of sushi in tokyo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

we went to sukiyabahi jiro in rappongi. jiro's second son. The chef assistant spoke good english which was very helpful. it all looked like a culinary opera; the movements, the positioning of dishes, the way of serving sushi. One can only stand there as a true spectator. The experience was highly rewarding despite the price.

Visited April 2014
Bucharest, Romania
“Absolute top !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

Words just cannot do justice to what is going on in this place. The sushi and sashimi are on a completely another level and watching them at work is bliss! I also appreciated the somehow relaxed atmosphere. The very best in sushi, hands down.

Malmo, Sweden
“Is it worth the hype? Definitely, fine dining at it's best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

The last 6 month prior to our trip to Tokyo we tried to get a reservation at Jiros. Almost impossible but at last we managed through the help of Hilton Tokyos concerge service.

Firstly it was very difficult to find the restaurant, so if you are going - it is at exit C6 at the Ginza subway station. Go down the stairs and go left through the glass doors where you see the Birdland-logo. It's right across the Birdland restaurant (which is the only letters you probably will recognise).

Now - to the dinner experience. If you love fine dining, this is definitely worth it. I have previously visited Noma in Copenhagen among other restaurants and it's definitely in the same league. It is as much an experience as it is a dinner.

The dinner is over in 45 minutes and you are served approximately 18 pieces of sushi in a specific order. It is absolutely top quality sushi based on seasonal fish. It's excellent in preparation and execution. The service is also outstanding.

But be prepared to be "watched" by both Jiro and the staff, when we visited there was not much talking among us guests. You are served one piece at the time and you eat mostly in silence.

It is pricey - approx 30.000 yen for one person - but for us, fine-dining nerds we would do it again without hesitating.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Oslo, Norway
“Amazing lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

Sukiyabashi Jiro, located in Roppongi Hills is Jiro Ono’s youngest son Takeshi’s mirror image of his fathers restaurant in Ginza. After decades of training, and working under his fathers watchful eye, Takeshi decided to set up his own shop, since as per Japanese tradition his older brother was to take over the fathers restaurant.

Eating here is one of the finest food experiences I have ever had. Positioned in the bar the most amazing sushi creations comes to life right before your eyes, all crafted together by the skilled hands of Takeashi Ono. Sitting there, watching this process is both fascinating and extremely appetizing. The pieces are put together with a mixture of extreme precision, gentle care, love and respect for the produce and tradition.

Every dish had an amazing taste, and the visuals to match it. My wish is soon to return to Tokyo, and when i do - another visit to Sukiyabashi Jiro will be a top priority.

• Visited January 2014