“very interesting” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
New York City, New York
“very interesting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

It really was an awesome experience that we will not forget. We love the mastery of the craft that Jiro has done here at his namesake restaurant.
We went with sashimi... We ate and ate and ate some more. I had to start eating my wife's as she was getting full fast.
We moved on to sushi and glad we did as the rice was really unbelievably delicious.
Thanks we loved it!

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Seattle, Washington
“Amazing; as good as you might think”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Probably most people who make their way to this restaurant have seen the movie "Jiro Dreams of Sushi," and after sitting through the movie you are wondering, "How good could this sushi really be?"

It's that good.

I have had a lot of sushi in my life, but nothing like this. You should see the movie first (buying the DVD is a fraction of a price of a meal here, so go ahead and watch the movie first), and then give this a try. I read there are other Tokyo places known among locals for having better sushi, or having lower prices, but if you want to complete the experience of seeing the movie and knowing what a sushi master can do, then this is worth it.

I did not even try to visit the father's place (this is the son's "new" restaurant) because I didn't have time to arrange reservations in advance. I just wandered in on a Sunday night and they had a place of me (I was alone).

Amazing food, one of the most memorable meals of my life. (and one of the most expensive, too).

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“Best meal of my life.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Kindly taken as a guest. Was the best meal of my life without question. My mouth waters thinking about it even months later. I was fortunate not to pay, but knowing the high price, I can honestly say it was worth it. Go Go Go... I am very jealous already!

• Visited January 2013
Hong Kong, China
“Excellent (if pricey) sushi by the younger Jiro”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Wife and I came to Japan for our Christmas vacation (which is becoming somewhat of an annual tradition now given we were here last Christmas as well). We heard about Sukiyabashi Jiro (famous from the movie "Jiro Dreams of Sushi") and asked our hotel concierge to help get us a seating. Turns out they have 3 branches, with the main/original branch booked out months ahead. The other 2 branches are also difficult to book but after much haggling and some begging we were able to land reservations at both the branch run by Jiro's younger son and the one run by one of Jiro's disciples. This review is on the one run by Jiro's younger son.

The restaurant is in Roppongi Hills, about a 15-minute walk from the Roppongi metro station on the Oedo line. Layout is a sushi bar with 8 seats plus a couple of small tables to the side (probably only used during lunch). Chef Jiro san doesn't speak much English but one of his younger apprentices has excellent command of English and describes every piece of sushi served during the meal.

The Jiro sushi course contains 18 pieces of sushi but we have found that each branch dishes out slightly different variation. For example tonight we had a serving of this sliced giant scallop sushi which we did not have last night at the other (Toyosu) branch, but that place served an abalone sushi which we did not have tonight. Another difference is the atmosphere - this Roppongi branch was more "refined" or "commercial" whereas the Toyosu branch seemed more cozy.

You can tell the younger chef Jiro takes his work very seriously - he was explaining to us that a customer only sees 20% of what sets a world class sushi chef apart, while the other 80% happens behind the curtains and before the customers arrive - the choosing and preparation of the fish.

The movie mentioned that it would take an apprentice 10 years of practice to make tomago (egg) properly. We asked chef Jiro whether that was true and he laughed. He said the apprentice mentioned in the movie was a slow learner as it takes a more talented apprentice only 3 years to learn how to make tomago if he does it everyday during those 3 years!!!! I certainly gained a whole new respect for the art of sushi making.

All in all, it was a fantastic meal. Not cheap - 55,000 yen for 2 people excluding drinks - but well worth the experience.

Ottawa, Canada
“Amazing experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

First of all, let's clarify one thing here. This is the Jiro Roppongi, the one run by Takashi Ono, Jiro Ono's youngest son. It is located in Roppongi Hills and definitely not that hard to find. Once you get to Roppongi Hills, you just get the escalator up from the street to the building that is on the top of the hill and from there you need to get another escalator that goes down a level, always going towards the two brown towers behind the main building. Jiro is right there, at the "ground" level of one of the towers.
So now to the food and the experience.
The food is indeed amazing. When you get the best ingredients together with someone with top skiils on how to prepare it, this is what you get. The sushi is simply perfect, from beginning to end.
The meal starts with either Sushi or Sashimi (raw fish). They will ask you what you prefer to start with and later if you want more of that or switch to the other.
They prepare whatever you will eat next and put it in front of you. Once you are done the next one comes. They will let you know when you are almost done and will also mention and show you what is optional (not part of the course).
I was there with my daughter and luckily we sat exactly in front of Takashi. He was EXTREMELY friendly and tried very hard to talk to us, always asking if my daughter wanted to try something else, if she was full and so on. At the end he even took a picture with us and brought me his own business card and autographed on the spot.
The whole meal took over 1:30h and never felt rushed. One of his assistants lived in Australia and speaks very decent English what does help.
The bill came at 51,500 yen what is about $650. Expensive? Yes. Worth doing it one time? Yes.
For Sushi lovers this is the Sushi Mecca so make sure you do it before you are no longer here.

• Visited December 2012