“Very good sushi and a very friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sukiyabashi Jiro

Sukiyabashi Jiro
6-12-2 Roppongi | Roppongi Hills Keyakizaka-dori 3F, Minato, Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
+81 3-5413-6626
Website
Update restaurant details
Ranked #20 of 6,327 restaurants in Minato
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Kuwait
“Very good sushi and a very friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We were lucky to get a couple of seats in such short notice here. This is the Roppongi branch, which I am thinking is catered more towards foreigners, since the Ginza branch (the chef's father) seems not to accept non Japanese from what I understand. This is a 2 Michelin Star restaurant, compared to the Ginza branch which is a 3 star.

The place is easy to find. It is in Roppongi Hills shopping area, but there is no English signs so make sure to read the maps around the shopping area.

The food itself was excellent. Definitely among the best sushi I have ever had, and the chef is very friendly as well as his staff. Feel free to take pictures at the restaurant and the chef will happily take a picture with you on your way out. We went for lunch, and everything was great but when I went to Sushi Mizutani a couple of days later I realized how a meal can go from a very good meal to a once in a lifetime meal! So you will get a very good meal here, but not as memorable. Also surprisingly it was more expensive than Mizutani (which is a 3 star).

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

75% Recommend
Singapore, Singapore
“For the love of sushi; you have not tasted sushi till you eat here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Our trip to Tokyo was inspired by Jiro. After watching his movie "Jiro dreams of sushi", we made a beeline for the airline reservations and booked our trip. We made our booking with Sukiyabashi Jiro way in advance, with a little help from some Japanese speaking friends. This branch of Sukiyabashi Jiro was the only one that took reservations from non-Japanese, according to their website. This branch is owned by Chef Jiro's son.

We arrived at Roppongi Hills on time, but promptly was at a loss of where the restaurant was. We called the restaurant, and the English speaking assistant chef told us to wait outside Mini Ropponggi (as in the car dealer that sells Mini Coopers). He met us, and we took a glass lift 5 steps away on the right from the Mini showroom (as you face it). On the third floor of residence block B, we hugged the right wall, rounded a bend, walked a corridor and the Sukiyabashi Jiro appears.

We were the first guests in the restaurant that night, and we had the chef to ourselves at the sushi counter. Initially, we felt stressed by having so many eyes on us as we savoured the food, but soon we were lost in food orgasm as item after item appeared on our plate.

Given the choice of starting with sushi or sashimi, we chose to start with Sashimi. Flounder and warm whole abolone cut into quarters appeared on our plate. Followed by Mackeral marinated in vinigar. Already this was a pre-cursor of things to come. The Chef and his team choose the best and freshest fish produce. They prepare some of the items to bring out the best in taste, texture or add value to its freshness.

Our sushi course started and some of the items we savoured were flounder, squid, toro, chu-toro, otoro, a type of sardine, Mackeral, horsemackeral, akagi, salmon roe, uni, baby scallops, lobster, sea eel, egg. 15 sushi items, each one tasting like Heaven in our mouth. Example.. The egg was soft and light, much like a tasty sponge cake. The horsemackeral had a nice smokey taste, coupled with a smidgen of rice with wasabi and spring onions. The series of toro was super fresh, soft and light, not like anything we tasted back in Singapore.

After a highly satisfactory dinner, we hung around watching the chef prepare more sushi for the other guests. By this time, most of the seats were taken and a mixture of English and Japanese could be heard. We were very glad to have sat at the counter as we could watch the chef slice the fish and prepare our sushi. He even voluntarily came out from behind the counter to pose for photos with us.

Although rather expensive, we loved the thought, process and love the Sukiyabashi Jiro team put into preparing the sushi and sashimi. This will definitely be worth a revisit if we come back to Tokyo again.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York City, New York
“Most amazing sushi I EVER plan on having”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Living in Tokyo for 5 years I thought I already experienced "the best" sushi in Tsukiji/Ginza. I was wrong. This was the most amazing melt in your mouth tuna, eel, scallop even octopus I have ever tasted. Simply the best!
The chef (Jiro's son) is friendly at the end of the meal offering to take photos with you. I even found a pearl in my clam. :)
But is it worth $750 per couple excluding drinks? Depends on how much you want to show off to your friends.
Fortunately we don't have to worry about college tuition or leaving an inheritance so hubby and I spend at will... but I'll compare it to hiking Mt. Fuji... only a fool goes twice.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Miami, Florida
“One for the sushi connoisseurs... I think...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We dined here on our recent trip to Tokyo. Couldn't get into the original restaurant as they were booked out for the next month, so we ate at the Roppongi branch. No problem as apparently the food and technique is the same as Jiro's restaurant. The restaurant is very hard to find in the Roppongi Hills shopping complex however one of the chefs was kind enough to meet us at our taxi and lead the way. We started with the sashimi and then moved onto sushi, about 10 dishes of each. Personally, I'm not a lover of sashimi or sushi yet wanted to experience the best while in Tokyo and that's why I chose Sukiyabashi Jiro. Plus I'd seen the documentary. The food was very nice as described in most of the other reviews but I would not recommend this restaurant to someone who did not love sashimi or sushi and have a high appreciation of the techniques and flavors. It's a lot of food and after 10 servings or so it does get hard to swallow, especially when your every move is being watched! The atmosphere was too clinical for me and it is clear you come here to appreciate the food and nothing else. We did go to another sushi restaurant for lunch the following day, "Sushiyoshi". The food was of a very high quality and in my opinion tasted fresher than Sukiyabashi Jiro, it was half the price and the atmosphere was much friendlier, however the technique was not as refined.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Particular Place For Elite Taste Buds”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

This is not a place for the average Jo, this is a place for for the sophisticated knowledgeable person who respects other cultures and tradition. You have to understand that if you are going to eat there you are a guest of the restaurant which is a private place where you are instructed on what to do. They expect you to act like it is a sacred place. The philosophy of the place is that they do not care if you are not going to eat there, they do not want you if you can't be a proper guest. They spend a lot of time preparing the food and buy the best pro puce on the market to provide you with the finest traditional sushi ever. The entire process and structure of cooking is traditional and beautiful in the sense that it is not compromised. People who go there and who believe they did not have a good experience should not go there and do not know how real Sushi should taste like. If you haven't ever tasted the best how can you know it is good. Well theres is the best because the ingredients are natural, well prepared and served to perfection. Your only though when you eat there should be about enjoy the simplicity of sushi in your mind. I ate there and fell in love with the sushi, my taste buds enjoyed this unsaturated, simple and honest to nature sushi. I think people rate restaurant based on other things and don't understand food in general. Your not paying for the packaging your paying for the traditional perfect food. It might not taste like the best to you because your used to eating c* or s* I don't know but simply knowing how well prepared would link it's taste to being the best because it is the best for your body.

Visited October 2012