“Most amazing sushi I EVER plan on having” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sukiyabashi Jiro

Sukiyabashi Jiro
6-12-2 Roppongi | Roppongi Hills Keyakizaka-dori 3F, Minato, Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
+81 3-5413-6626
Website
Update restaurant details
Ranked #20 of 6,326 restaurants in Minato
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
New York City, New York
“Most amazing sushi I EVER plan on having”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Living in Tokyo for 5 years I thought I already experienced "the best" sushi in Tsukiji/Ginza. I was wrong. This was the most amazing melt in your mouth tuna, eel, scallop even octopus I have ever tasted. Simply the best!
The chef (Jiro's son) is friendly at the end of the meal offering to take photos with you. I even found a pearl in my clam. :)
But is it worth $750 per couple excluding drinks? Depends on how much you want to show off to your friends.
Fortunately we don't have to worry about college tuition or leaving an inheritance so hubby and I spend at will... but I'll compare it to hiking Mt. Fuji... only a fool goes twice.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

75% Recommend
Miami, Florida
“One for the sushi connoisseurs... I think...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We dined here on our recent trip to Tokyo. Couldn't get into the original restaurant as they were booked out for the next month, so we ate at the Roppongi branch. No problem as apparently the food and technique is the same as Jiro's restaurant. The restaurant is very hard to find in the Roppongi Hills shopping complex however one of the chefs was kind enough to meet us at our taxi and lead the way. We started with the sashimi and then moved onto sushi, about 10 dishes of each. Personally, I'm not a lover of sashimi or sushi yet wanted to experience the best while in Tokyo and that's why I chose Sukiyabashi Jiro. Plus I'd seen the documentary. The food was very nice as described in most of the other reviews but I would not recommend this restaurant to someone who did not love sashimi or sushi and have a high appreciation of the techniques and flavors. It's a lot of food and after 10 servings or so it does get hard to swallow, especially when your every move is being watched! The atmosphere was too clinical for me and it is clear you come here to appreciate the food and nothing else. We did go to another sushi restaurant for lunch the following day, "Sushiyoshi". The food was of a very high quality and in my opinion tasted fresher than Sukiyabashi Jiro, it was half the price and the atmosphere was much friendlier, however the technique was not as refined.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Particular Place For Elite Taste Buds”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

This is not a place for the average Jo, this is a place for for the sophisticated knowledgeable person who respects other cultures and tradition. You have to understand that if you are going to eat there you are a guest of the restaurant which is a private place where you are instructed on what to do. They expect you to act like it is a sacred place. The philosophy of the place is that they do not care if you are not going to eat there, they do not want you if you can't be a proper guest. They spend a lot of time preparing the food and buy the best pro puce on the market to provide you with the finest traditional sushi ever. The entire process and structure of cooking is traditional and beautiful in the sense that it is not compromised. People who go there and who believe they did not have a good experience should not go there and do not know how real Sushi should taste like. If you haven't ever tasted the best how can you know it is good. Well theres is the best because the ingredients are natural, well prepared and served to perfection. Your only though when you eat there should be about enjoy the simplicity of sushi in your mind. I ate there and fell in love with the sushi, my taste buds enjoyed this unsaturated, simple and honest to nature sushi. I think people rate restaurant based on other things and don't understand food in general. Your not paying for the packaging your paying for the traditional perfect food. It might not taste like the best to you because your used to eating c* or s* I don't know but simply knowing how well prepared would link it's taste to being the best because it is the best for your body.

Visited October 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Very good but somewhat disappointed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Think the problem with star restaurants is that sometimes expectations exceeds reality. This is the case with this outlet after my friend watched the documentary Jiro. This is a typical small sushi setup that is classical Japanese. Do not expect any ambience or beautiful wall art pieces. The focus is the food. We had a chefs menu which consisted of all the typical fishes etc in good portions. They were delicious n fresh but after the 7th dish of sushi, it became abit of a struggle to continue (think there were about 9 or 10 dishes total).Mind you, there is really nothing wrong with this place: its just maybe we were expecting too much here: after all they are just classic Japanese raw fish n rice

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sydney
“The best sushi ever, quite possibly.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

We could only get a 30 minute lunch reservation and so the meal was rather rushed. But I think that for lunch perhaps the reservations are taken for one couple at a time. Jiro is now 87 years old but is still serving his customers with the assistance of his eldest son. The sushi was superb, the quality of the fish was outstanding and the sushi rice was unlike any I have had before, thick juicy grains perfectly cooked and matching the fish in flavour and texture. It was delightful to be personally served by Jiro and to engage in conversation with him and his son. We speak Japanese. The service was impeccable and I can't comprehend a reviewer writing that he/she had a rude experience. Yes it is very expensive but we thought that it was worth it. The fish will of course vary from season to season but apart from the tuna the standouts were the anago, the uni and the kuruma ebi. And the melon for dessert!

• Visited September 2012