“Unique!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Nihon Ryori Ryugin

Nihon Ryori Ryugin
7-17-24 Roppongi | Side Roppongi Bld 1st. F, Minato 106-0032, Tokyo Prefecture (Akasaka / Roppongi)
+81 3-3423-8006
Neighborhood: Akasaka / Roppongi
Melbourne, Australia
“Unique!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Even with a map on our hands and clear indication from the concierge, we found this place hard to find. We walked there as opposed to have taken a taxi as our hotel was nearby.

It's a 3 Michelin star and # 22 in the list of the best restaurants in the world by San Pellegrino. These awards are well deserved. The food is absolutely amazing and the service incredibly professional. Our waiter had perfect English, very well spoken, great manners and well knowledgeable not only in food but drinks as well, especially sake. I had the best sake recommended by him, I've got the name written by him somewhere (That reminds me that I would love to buy a bottle, so will try to find the paper)

The tasting menu was great and very unique, with amazing ingredients, great presentation and flavours. It's not a traditional meal but modern cuisine well equilibrate in size and amount. Our 11 courses menu along with a medium size bottle of sake and sparkling water cost us AUD$566

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
“Very good if a bit touristy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I used my credit-card to secure a (945pm, ehem) Saturday night table (admittedly I only booked a week earlier so it was partially my fault).
With google-maps it was a piece of cake finding the venue, ensconced on a street not too far from the Roppongi train-station.
The meal was very good, with the standout being the sashimi plate (some very original cuts and serving style) as well as the monk-fish liver, while some minor disappointments (in the sense that they were only 'ok') being the uni (lightly deep-fried with a spice however that overpowered its flavor) and a crab-ball soup.
Just about everyone nearby had a camera (or telescope..) in hand to photograph the experience.
The service was extremely professional and yet unobtrusive. For the occasional splurge, all in all, it was a positive experience.

• Visited December 2012
Newnan, Georgia
“Creative Japanese and great setting/service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

While my wife and I highly appreciate fine dining, this was only the 2nd Michelin 3 star place we had been too with Jean-Georges in NYC being the other. In short, our experience here far surpassed JG at comparable price.

We were staying at the nearby Ritz Carlton and had gotten the concierge to make the reservation almost a month in advance which was probably a good thing since it's a small place, etc. If you are staying at the RC for what it's worth, it's quite walkable but get a map of the area given the side streets of Rippongi are windy and narrow.

If you go, prepare yourself with an 11-course adventure of modern Japanese cuisine. Our main waiter spoke perfect English - we chatted with him a bit and he had been a sommelier in NYC for 10 years before recently returning to Japan. The wine list was large but since we were in Tokyo and drink good wine commonly asked the waiter to select sake for us instead and the sake was quite reasonable compared to the cost of the meal.

Probably on any given night with the diversity of 11 courses, it's unlikely that you will love every single course but we ended like really finding 9 of the 11 courses very tasty. My favorites were the sashimi, two small "sweet" fish that were brilliantly fried and were fully eaten head to tail, and a mango desert that somehow contained frozen powder that was "popped" open from its shell.

I've done some other fine dining in Tokyo and while this place was expensive, the experience was certainly worth it - provided you are open to diverse and unusual Japanese tastes.

• Visited June 2013
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Great experience... but had higher expectations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Expectations are high when you visit a restaurant that has made it to the the top of the Michelin guide and to the Top 50 Restaurant list.

My friend and I visited Ryugin on our last day in Japan, after days of gastronomic discovery which really wowed us. Ryugin was therefore the piece de resistance of the trip and the expectations could not be any higher.

We arrived ten minutes before and were informed that our table was not ready and we should come back in 20 minutes... Not a good start.

We returned and were shown in to the restaurant. The decoration is based on the traditional Japanese plates that Chef Yamamoto has collected over time.

The tasting menu was great but, again, the expectations were very high. You have to compare apples to apples and, in the case of Ryugin, it was a great place but not to the level of the three star Michelin restaurants I have visited across the world.

I do recommend Ryugin to anyone interested in getting to know the mastery of Japanese cuisine: the tasting menu was a great display of great equilibrium of between taste, textures and flavors.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Juan-les-Pins, France
“Food beyond description”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I've visited this restaurant twice: the first time a few years ago, when he "only" had 2 Michelin star, and recently.

Food is truly exceptional: over the courses that we've tasted it's impossible to fin the "best" one, as they are all truly outstanding, and the pairing with wine and sake also makes it unique.

Food is Japanese style, revisited. I believe in the past molecular cuisine played a bigger role, but it might have been just differences in seasonal menus.

A must visit, even if it's on the pricey side.

• Visited May 2013