“Good cost / benefit” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Fukudaya

Save Saved
You added Hotel Fukudaya to your Saves list
Hotel Fukudaya
3.0 of 5 Ryokan   |   4-5-9 Aobadai, Meguro, Tokyo Prefecture 153-0042, Japan   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Meguro B&B and Inns
Campo Grande, MS
“Good cost / benefit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Good price, well located - not great, 15-20 min walking from Shibuya Station - and services ok. Shibuya station has direct connection to Narita and you can use the Japan Rail Pass at the trains - so, easy way to move inside Tokyo and Japan
To rest your body after a day walking, it is ok.
Wifi in the rooms (giving this information because found hotels without wifi in Japan).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

84 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Algarve
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We stayed two nights in the traditional room and thought the room was of a good size. Everything was clean. During the day the reception staff spoke good English but the night staff didnt speak so good but tried to help when possible.

After 23:00 you have to use a code to get into the hotel but was simple to use.

The shower had good pressure also with shampoo and shower gel included. Japanese robe were also included.

It was a little difficult to find, but once a policeman sent us in the right direction it was pretty straight forward. About 15mins walk from Shibuya Station following the elevated road.

Every morning we had hot water in a flask to make tea.

Shoes must be taken off to get to the reception, as we quickly found out.

A small supermarket store at the beginning of the road.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Collins, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

The other reviews here already give most of the important information. It's easy to get to from the Shibuya Station. It's actually harder to find your way out of the station than to walk to the hotel once you're outside.

The owners are very friendly and their English is actually quite good. This hotel is very close to our office, so it is very convenient for me. I actually prefer to enjoy the local culture and style.

There are a lot of places to eat nearby. I walked back towards the Shibuya station and found a great little sushi restaurant called はなの舞 渋谷道玄坂Gスクエアー店 (Hanano-mai). The sushi was incredible, and the chef was extremely nice and helpful, as were the others working there.

I will definitely stay in this hotel again during future visits.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the bath included. You may want to ask for help with the tea if you aren't...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Stayed in the Japanese-style room and trust me, it was a wonderful experience! Firstly, the owners are very friendly so you really feel very welcomed at the hotel. The Japanese-style room i stayed was very clean and nicely decorated. There are rice crackers prepared for you on the table with Japanese tea to go with. If you need hot water, the owner will gladly hand you one pot upon request. The Japanese Futon bedding is so clean and comfortable, i really had a good night sleep at the end of every tiring day in Tokyo! Other amenities include the yukata and obi which add on to the wonderful experience of staying in this hotel. I liked this place so much, i booked another night at the reception for my last day in Tokyo. The lady was very kind and let me view the rooms (i still wanted Japanese-style room, but there are options of 1. with bath and toilet, 2. without bath with toilet) before deciding which i would prefer. You can also leave your luggage with them if you are travelling to other cities and return to collect it (free of charge).

The down side (which didn't affect me actually) was that this hotel might not be easy to find as it is not on some of the area maps. So do check on how to find your way there. The hotel is located near Shibuya station - you can choose to walk 15mins or catch a bus (the owner will explain to you which buses to take). Walking is actually fine as you will pass by alot of shops (where you may wanna stop by to eat), unless it rains.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I got the Japanese style room. It was very nice and clean. I walked only 7 minutes to the Shibuya station and I was able to get everywhere. There was no one there when I left at 8am so I left the key in an envelope with my name and cell number. I didn't hear from them so I assume it was ok. The man working there is very nice and they are also very helpful with maps and stuff. Thank you!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
hotelfukudaya, オーナー at Hotel Fukudaya, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
7 minutes on foot to Shibuya station is the record-breaking speed, ordinarily around 15 minutes.
We are very sorry for no attendant, by chance, present at 8 a.m. when you checked out.
And thank you for your kind consideration for which everything went O.K..
Jakarta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Located near Shibuya station, this hotel is strategic to spend your night in Tokyo. You can either walk from Shibuya station via Dougenzaka street (use Hachiko exit) or take a bus from West Bus Terminal (2 stops). When carrying suitcases, I find it easier to take the bus. Usually they have 'Fukudaya Hotel' stop written on the bus screen display.
The hotel is located in a small alley which has two exit. If you get there by bus, you'll come from the back/side door. You need to go the other way to take bus to Shibuya station. From this bus stop, you can take any bus because they'll end up in Shibuya station anyway.

There's a few kombini (convenience store) around, and I spotted Sukiya and MOS Burger nearby. And there are heaps of restaurant around Shibuya in walking distance.

The room I got was pretty big for a single traveler, with toilet & bathroom en-suited. They provide sweets along with green tea sachet and hot water in thermos. It seems that on my first night, they haven't really prepare the room because the toilet slipper and hot water only showed up on my second day. There's also towels, toiletries and yukata provided.

For some reason I couldn't watch the TV. When I turned it on, there were some writings in Japanese I couldn't read but has something to do with card. I guessed you have to purchase a card to use the TV. But since it was late when I got back and didn't really want to watch anything anyway, I didn't say anything to the reception.

Ask for Tokyo maps and hotel map at the reception. When I was there, I was greeted by a fluent English speaking ojisan who was helpful. Also, if you plan to get back late, you need to get the keycode to enter the hotel as the reception only opens until around 11.30pm.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
hotelfukudaya, オーナー at Hotel Fukudaya, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
We are greatful to have your review as well as your intelligible introduction to an access route to Hotel Fukudaya and to its surroundings.
By the way, the room you stayed in was a Japanese Family type and was exceptionally allocated due to our reasons, though a room with its proper size is, usually, provided according to a mutual agreement when a reservation is made.
Our guests can enjoy T.V. watching in their rooms free of charge.
B-CAS card is already placed in every T.V. set.
Because you couldn't watch T.V., we are afraid that the card might have been wrongly inserted in the T.V. set. Anyway, we feel very sorry for that.
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Location. Staff. Price. Comfort.

My two friends and I stayed at Hotel Fukudaya for 3 nights. We chose the Japanese Style room which we enjoyed the best sleep on our whole journey! I loved the rice paper walls and girls you get a mirror and basin in a separate room :) Luggage space was fine - whilst there was only two wardrobes.

The bathroom was always clean and the shower always had good pressure.
The staff were so very friendly! We were on our way to Fuji Rock Festival and were able to leave one bag at the hotel and arranged to come back to pick it up afterwards.

Our plans changed after Fuji Rock and we stayed in Kyoto for a few days. I emailed Hotel Fukudaya and asked that we come to pick them up at a later date - they were so kind and friendly we booked another night. The service, comfort-ability and cleanliness of the hotel was exactly like our first experience.

We needed to send some of our friends luggage to Osaka and the lady behind the front desk was so helpful in showing us where the post office was - she even actually wrapped our friends belongings so as to send right off when we got there :)

The location is incredible its an easy walk to Shibuya! We enjoyed the city everyday and night and from Shibuya you can venture anywhere - its really too easy. If in Shibuya you must make a visit to Wokini! - if you like beer, tequila, records from 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s and some very fun and interesting bar staff - put it on the top of the to do list!

Hotel Fukudaya would be an excellent place to set up base in Tokyo and then travel the area from there. No need to worry about lock out or safety etc. this place is excellent!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 206 (facing the street) and we found it wasn't that noisy - considering the th...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
hotelfukudaya, オーナー at Hotel Fukudaya, responded to this review, August 19, 2012
Thank you very much for your valuable comments. We are pleased to hear from you that you had a pleasant stay in Hotel Fukudaya and also spent enjoyable days and nights in Shibuya and the other areas in Tokyo. We look forward to seeing you and your friends here.

Been to Hotel Fukudaya? Share your experiences!