“Spacious and heavily influences of classical European Interiors” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Tokyo

Save Saved
You added The Westin Tokyo to your Saves list
The Westin Tokyo
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1-4-1 Mita | Ebisu Garden Place, Meguro, Tokyo Prefecture 153-8580, Japan   |
Ranked #2 of 10 hotels in Meguro
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Spacious and heavily influences of classical European Interiors”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Ok, got a room fairly cheaply. I contacted th hotel about an upgrade (and received one). I asked because I was a gold member so thought us was worth trying. I was sent a confirmation of the upgrade and price- based on what I reserved for in my first booking. When it came to check in, I received the upgrade and I also received the upgrade fee which when combined with what I had paid for my first reservation was more expensive than what I could book online for the same room on the day. When letting the check in staff know this it didn't seem to make a difference or register for that matter. And since I was paying not my company, I told them to cancel the upgrade. I could live without being on the executive floor. A little disappointed with the process and double information from the hotel, but lets just put that down to being their second language.

The room: we stayed in one of the normal rooms. The interior is heavily influenced by classic European flavors, which can give the room a feeling of being old and outdated. It is but you can also see the effort in the room. The room is large, the bathroom is classical with a lot of marble, there is matching writing desk, makeup mirror, chest if draws, bed end chair and lounge sofa. Despite all these items the room does not in any way feel squashed. In fact, in size alone, its probably the biggest hotel room I have stayed in for this hotel chain in Japan. The interior is not my preferred cup of tea but it is still nice.

The view is inhibited by an apartment block next door and gives a feeling of lost privacy but for the price we paid I can't really complain. I think the Westin in Tokyo is regarded as a category 6 SPG hotel. I personally would not say it is any higher than a level 5 but probably more like a 4.

The prices for food and services within the hotel are mind boggingly expensive and should be avoided at all costs unless money is no issue and $40 for a standard burger and nearly $20 for a chocolate smoothie is normal for you. One little thing I noticed, they have a carry bag in the closet that, whilst is a nice touch was also offered at the Westin in Sendai. However there, they also offered a larger bag as well and with a wife in toe was very useful as an additional carry bag to carry all the junk she bought (I mean that in the nicest possible way).

Would I recommend this hotel? Yes.
Would it be a MUST stay hotel? No.
Location? Fairly good, a little walk from the train staton but certainly not strenuous even with suitcases in toe.

Getting there from the airport: you can take the bus shuttle but I prefer to take the train, much more comfortable and reliable. It will cost more but I think it is worth it.

Room Tip: Don't get one that faces the apartment block next door, the higher the floor- the better!!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
The_Westin_Tokyo, Digital Marketing Coordinator at The Westin Tokyo, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with the Westin Tokyo. We feel privileged to have been able to serve you. Thank you for taking much of your valuable time to post a review.
Your valuable feedback for the pricing of our room rate will be shared by our team. The upgrade offer via email is very flexible rate which can be fit to any plan, but as you mentioned that we also offer the valued and special room plan in the limited time. So, there are many kinds of offers that the guests can select which is the best rate (not only the cheapest) to fit their trip. We truly hope you to come back to us again, and like to take another opportunity to fulfill your needs and exceed your expectation.

813 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Indonesian first
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

The lobby and the room of this hotel are traditional and elegant. The hotel is in a relatively quiet neighbourhood. I find this to be a respite after a day (or night) spent in the busier parts of town. It is a 10 minute walk away from the JR and then a further 5 minute walk (parts of the walk aided by a motorized walkway) the subway line. It's only one or two stations away from Roppongi and Shibuya. Although you can take the JR line from Narita, it's probably more convenient just to take the limousine bus.

The hotel is part of the Ebisu Garden Place, which has a department store, Starbucks, Baskin-Robbins, health club (which some hotel guests have privilege to use), restaurants, offices, condos etc. There is a Joel Robuchon restaurant and bakery nearby. The hotel's eateries seem overpriced. For breakfast we ate at the St Germain bakery just across the street from the JR station. Coffee and a piece of pastry will set you back $5. You can also have dinner on the 35th floor of the highrise building. There are several restaurants here with expansive views of the city. Ebisu Garden Place also has a decent photography museum and a beer museum.

The hotel room itself is big by any standards, esp. Tokyo. The bathroom has the standard Westin toiletries. Staff are attentive and courteous. We've a nice view of the city outside our window. You've to pay for wifi but it is reliable.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
The_Westin_Tokyo, Digital Marketing Coordinator at The Westin Tokyo, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for your review and even more for your visit. We are delighted to hear you were able to feel renewed and relaxed at our Sky lounge The Compass Rose and your visit to Tokyo was a truly enjoyable one! Our location, Ebisu is quite a gem. As you’ve mentioned, even though Yebisu area is quiet, the many hidden discoveries here and there are popular to the local community as well. We boast true Westin professionalism and personal attentiveness to our guests! We only hope for your return in the not so distant future, until then please take care and stay well.
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Well placed in Tokyo, this station has access to the JR and Hibiya train lines. Narita limosine bus stops here and of course taxis are always waiting. There is also good signage to direct you from the train station. All staff speak English well. A classy lobby, impeccable hallways and rooms. Shibuya district is only one stop away. The concierge staff was helpful with all questions. A bit strange that wifi (although all around Japan) was an add on fee at the hotel. Otherwise you exceeded our expectations

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to post a review. Your kind words are of the greatest encouragement to all of us. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to serve you. Your valuable feedback for the fee for wifi in the hotel will be shared by our team. We would take this opportunity to review our service standard, and try to improve even harder to meet your expectations. We anxiously wait for your return for another Westin Tokyo magic, a respite in the heart of the city with personal service at its best.
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

First time in this hotel, conveniently located in Ebisu area. Staff polite and efficient, rooms a little tired but clean and well equipped, very impressive lobby and great bar. Japanese hotels are typically expensive and this is no exception, nevertheless, highly recommended.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
The_Westin_Tokyo, Digital Marketing Coordinator at The Westin Tokyo, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for staying with us at The Westin Tokyo and for taking the time to review us. We are delighted to hear you were able to feel renewed and relaxed in our guestrooms. It is our utmost joy in providing an experience, extraordinary; excellence that is consistent, and ensuring that each guest’s stay is bespoke. Thank you for allowing us to contribute to your Tokyo Experience. We hope to welcome you back very soon. Until then, please take care.
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

The hotel is beautiful. Somewhat away from center of town. But safe, quiet area. Easy access with subway. Several restaurants in the hotel for all tastes. Across from subway after short walk. Nearby shops and rests. Great gym. Usual outstanding Japanese service. Friendly, polite, helpful and efficient. Staff speaks English either fluent or at least enough to communicate. Highly recommend. Near Ebisu metro station.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views, worth seeing.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
The_Westin_Tokyo, Digital Marketing coordinator at The Westin Tokyo, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Thank you for your review and even more for your stay with us. We are delighted to hear you were able to feel renewed and relaxed in our guestrooms and your visit to Tokyo was a truly enjoyable one! Our location, Ebisu is quite a gem. As you’ve mentioned, even though Yebisu area is quiet, the many hidden discoveries here and there are popular to the local community as well. Your kind words are of the greatest encouragement to all of us. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to serve you. We hope to see you again soon. Until then, please take care.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

If you need to be in this location the Westin Tokyo is very good. Your typical Westin quality, good size rooms (I had a suite) and nice business lounge for breakfast and drinks throughout the day.

It is a bit dated in terms of décor and also old TVs (for a Westin) and huge fax machine occupying half the desk (who uses fax nowadays?)

Service could be improved as I experienced intermittent service: sometimes very good, some other times a bit lacking; however when I complained it was addressed very professionally and to my satisfaction. Their concierge service could be a bit more informative too.

Overall I had a pleasant stay but unless you need to be in this area of town I would choose a different location more central to Tokyo city life, which is fantastic, by the way. Ebisu is a bit far from most interesting places in Tokyo in my experience.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to post a review. Your kind words are of the greatest encouragement to all of us. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to serve you. Your valuable feedback for the concierge will be shared by our team. We would take this opportunity to review our service standard, and try to improve even harder to meet your expectations. We anxiously wait for your return for another Westin Tokyo magic, a respite in the heart of the city with personal service at its best. We only hope for your return in the not so distant future, until then please take and stay well.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Had a seamless experience staying here for a weekend with a friend. I will stay here again on my next visit. My favorite aspect of the hotel was the 5-star breakfast, where I could have everything from Japanese pickles and a green tea smoothie to an omelette, or even bread budding with a divine and not to sweet dark chocolate sauce. Come early for breakfast--before 9--to snag a paper and a booth in the back. On Sunday morning the staff had to open a waitlist after 9:30 AM because of the crowds.

The room, lobby and restaurants, although not the newest, are gleaming and seemingly without wear. There is a lovely bar next to the lobby where one can have champagne next to a waterfall. The upstairs bar is good for meeting friends or sipping a cocktail alone with a view of the city.

The room was spotless and cozy with art deco furniture, with a great view of Tokyo Tower. I also liked the separate vanity to do my makeup with natural light. The bathroom had Westin toiletries--my favorite--a bath and ample plush linens. The shower was a little small, however, and I had to place my shampoo on the floor. Everything was well cared for and well serviced.

We stayed on a club floor and enjoyed the afternoon happy hour, which offered appetizers, wine, cocktails and champagne. Again, come early to snag a table as a waitlist may form on weekends, as it did with us on Saturday night.

The location of the hotel in unparalleled. Ebisu Garden Palace in itself has great shopping in its department stores and the best French restaurant in Tokyo is next door. Ebisu also earns high marks for convenience as it is located on both the Yamanote train line and Hibiya subway lines, making it uniquely easy to head to Shibuya, Harajuku, Shinjuku, Ginza and Roppongi.

My only minor complaint concerns the concierge. She mistakenly told us that we did not need a reservation for the Roppong Hills branch for the sushi place featured in "Jiro Dreams of Sushi." When we arrived at the restaurant we learned that we indeed need a reservation and could not have gotten in without one. Why not at least call the branch to confirm? Luckily a nice guy added us to our reservation, or we would have been out of luck.

Can't wait to go back. I am debating whether the club floor was worth it but will definitely get breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of Tokyo Tower. If going for club priveliges, stay on the 17th floor so you don'...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
The_Westin_Tokyo, Digital Marketing Coordinator at The Westin Tokyo, responded to this review, June 30, 2013

Been to The Westin Tokyo? Share your experiences!