“Great experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Tokyo

You added The Westin Tokyo to your Saves list
The Westin Tokyo
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1-4-1 Mita | Ebisu Garden Place, Meguro 153-8580, Tokyo Prefecture   |
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels / Ryokan in Meguro
4.5 of 5 stars 946 Reviews
JAKARTA
“Great experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I had a great time at this hotel. It was the first trip to Tokyo. We choose this hotel by friend reference. It is great located, close to the train station and shopping centre. The whole service during our stay was great. The staff are very helpful.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
The_Westin_Tokyo, Digital Marketing Coordinator at The Westin Tokyo, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to post a review. We are thankful of your kind patronage to the Westin Tokyo and also for the encouragement we find in your gracious review. Important, yes, you are to us and we only find it our joy to ensure you of a delightful stay! We look forward to your return. Until then, please take care.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Grand Rapids, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I've stayed at the Tokyo Westin twice and both times I have been underwhelmed. While the rooms are comfortable, they are severely in need of a face lift. The decor is dated and the bathrooms are not very modern. On a positive note, the beds are comfortable and the staff is very helpful. I will likely stay here again for business but am on the lookout for more modern accommodations in Tokyo.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
The_Westin_Tokyo, Digital marketing coordinator at The Westin Tokyo, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to post a review. Your kind words are of the greatest encouragement to all of us. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to serve you. Your valuable feedback for the signs of aged room will be shared by our team. We would take this opportunity to review our service standard, and try to improve even harder to meet your expectations. We anxiously wait for your return for another Westin Tokyo magic, a respite in the heart of the city with personal service at its best.
Arlington, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I had a great time at this property, I was scared about the breakfast coming from Texas to JP is kind of scary when it comes to food and the breakfast was wonderful at the hotel. There are quite a few places in Ebisu to eat at and non are far (not more that a 5-15 minute walk). It is close to the JR train station and easy to get to anywhere from here. My convention was at the Tokyo Big Sight and it cost about $40 USD each way to get there on taxi. Perfect hotel, I would use it again.

Room Tip: Buy the package with the breakfast included, it is so much cheaper!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Yuko K, Ecommerce coordinator at The Westin Tokyo, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to post a review. Your kind words are of the greatest encouragement to all of us. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to serve you. We hope to see you again soon. Until then, please take care.
Pasadena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

No hotel can be all things to all people. But to score a 5, a hotel should know what it's target is, and should hit it bullseye. The Westin Tokyo does that.

I'm a frequent visitor to Tokyo, and even that experience does not make Tokyo an easy place for a non-Japanese speaker. There are other nice western-flavored hotels in Tokyo, the Westin certainly isn't the only one (and it is not the lushest of them).

But here's what the Westin has going for it:

1. Value: The Westin, by Tokyo standards, is a deal. Obviously rates vary, but I've often paid more at comparable hotels for less.

2. Rooms: lovely. Not over the top or modern-slick in any way, but all the right comforts, including multiplug electric. (Don't come expecting stark / clean Japanese design style-- that's not the Westin's style).

3. Here's the big one: EXCELLENT CONCIERGE. When you're a gaijin (foreigner) in Tokyo, you need help finding things and getting around. I can honestly say that in all my travels, I have never encountered a concierge desk that so consistently exceeded my expectations. Example: every restaurant I booked, they prepared a package for me containing Japanese language map and directions (for a taxi driver, if I was to take a taxi), and English language map and directions (for me, using the subway). Sure, most hotels would provide this information if you ASKED for it, but every request I made of the Westin's concierge people was met with similar forethought-- (handing a Tokyo taxi driver English map and directions is about as useful as handing me a Japanese subway map, and they did not want to take chances). It's just a small example, but so emblematic of everything they did for me during the week.

ONE NOTE ABOUT THE POOL: It's not in the hotel, but in an adjacent health club. It's fine for a serious lap swimmer, but it's not very convenient, it's run with a rules-heavy-hand (ie bathing caps, one-way swim lanes, etc. etc. etc.), and it would be a definite downer if you were traveling with kids expecting a cooling dip in the pool. I can't say they are prohibited, but they would surely stretch the limited sense of humor of the pool's overseers.

All in all, this recent visit made me slightly regretful that for many years, I've wandered from five star hotel to five star hotel in Tokyo, liking them all but loving none of them. . . I could just have stayed at the Westin.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

It was a unique experience during our 4 nights in Tokyo. Elegant, the marbel pieces in the flor the Piano in the Middle is gorgeos and better if you have the chance to hear the lady that plays the Piano.

We really enjoyed our stay there, the breakfast a la carte or buffet is good, we had the chanse to have an Amazing view from our room to the Kyoto Tower and the city during the night. There are a lot of things to do in Tokyo so we recomend you to go with the Concierge to choose the best option; they arranged for us the "Nikko Tour" that was absolutely impresive.

It is close to the Ebisu Station so you can use the subway to go anywhere; we almost visit the most important places in Tokyo using just the subway to save some time otherwise you maght be stuck in the middle of the traffic.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Service was tremendously attentive, the view from our room was amazing and the hotel was immaculately clean and nicely decorated.There was plenty of restaurants within walking distance and a main subway stop very close by. The concierge was courteous and was always there to lend a helping hand.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I've stayed here a couple times on business and it's always been a great experience. The staff are always unerringly polite and helpful. The rooms are a good size (very large for Tokyo), although perhaps a little old-fashioned furniture-wise. i didn't eat here in the evening (the area has many great small restaurants), but they have a good buffet for breakfast. They don't have a pool actually in the hotel, but, as a SPG member, one can use the good quality one in the spa/gym in the adjoining shopping complex, which you can get to via an underground tunnel, without going outside - absolutely fine in my book.
The hotel is pretty well located, given it's in Ebisu Garden City, a large shopping complex, with a good range of restaurants both high and low end (there's many more good choices within 10 mins) and a large Mitsukoshi department store. Transport is easy enough, being close to Ebisu station, which can take you easily to most places, and only one stop (or a short taxi race) to Shibuya, which also connects to everything. It's easiest access is from Hameda airport (for train change at Shinagawa for Ebisu) , but you can get the train to Narita from Shinagawa. There are also relatively cheap airport buses, but the times didn't happen to work for me.
Yes, this hotel does seem expensive by Western standards, but actually it's pretty reasonable for Tokyo, especially given the size of the rooms. I'll be aiming to stay here again next time I visit.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Westin Tokyo? Share your experiences!