“Worth the experience” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children, Romance, Large groups
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Large groups
“Worth the experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

This is a very slick restaurant. Your order is taken as you get in and you are asked to wait. When your food is ready - or when the owner decides to seat you you are directed to a place at the counter. The pork was as described by many. It was delicious and the attentive staff will top you up with rice and salad.
I have travelled to Meguro before and I will definitely revisit Tonki when I visit again.

Dallas, Texas
“If you make one Tokyo tonkatsu joint your regular stop...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

......then Tonki should be it. A family run enterprise with multiple generations working. I prefer the filet katsu because I don't like the extra fat on the rosu katsu. They use a different breading than the usual panko in other tonkastu places, which makes their katsu unique. Walk in, take a seat on the bench by the wall (there will usually be a wait for a counter seat, sometimes a half-hour). They will know you are there and motion for you when your spot is ready. Call out your order. If you want extra rice and cabbage during your meal, just ask. Definitely not a date restaurant or a place to linger. Fun to watch the kitchen and staff work. The place is spotless - how do they do it, with all that grease around! I have made multiple visits. Once I waited nearly 45 minutes - the only time where I think the guy lost track of when I came in.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Singapore, Singapore
“Tonkatsu For The Win! :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

After waiting for about 30 minutes for a counter seat (on the first floor - which is where the action is), we waited with bated breaths for our Tonkatsu meal to arrive. We ordered Rosu Katsu (Fatty pork fillet), and I told my wife after the artery-clogging meal that if I were to die then, I'd have died a happy man. I'd definitely recommend the Rosu Katsu, as the fats complemented the meat so well!

One might think that because the "restaurant" setting was a bar counter sitting that the service may not be as good, but I'd say the "waiters" were attentive to our needs, and were prompt in serving (it was basically clockwork!).

As we were travelling with our 1 year old son, we had initially planned to just have him on our lap during the meal, but we were surprised when they brought us a kids/baby chair! Good service! (Although the baby chairs in Japan don't usually come with a belt)

All in all, a fantastic Tonkatsu, and I'd recommend anyone visiting Tokyo to try this place!

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
YVR
“Absolutely Tonkatsu !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

Tonki - been open for 73 years. Only tonkatsu, 3 menu items, 3 drinks, pork filet, pork filet with fat, port skewer with onions. Apparently, almost everyone order the filet, no fat. Crispy breeding, tender juicy pork. You get to wait, order, eat, leave, no lingering. There is 12 of them working the cooking, almost silent, all you hear is the bubbling fat in the 3 vats. Delicious! On top of all this - it is a nice space where you watch all the guys at work prepping your meal. A treat.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“BEST Tonkatsu EVER!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

The Concierge at the Prince Sakura Tower in Shinagawa recommended this restaurant to us when we asked for good tonkatsu, a favorite of ours. It is easy to find - Just exit the Meguro train station for the Meguro Dori , walk right and take the first right. Tonki has a glass front with fabric noren / curtains over the top of the doorway.

Tonki serves tonkatsu. Period. They excel at it and don't need bells and whistles and they have it down like clockwork. One chef prepares the pork cutlets, another fries them, another cuts them, another prepares the rice, pickled vegetables, miso soup, etc. It's like choreographed tonkatsu! Of course they bring you green tea right away, but since we don't drink tea, they brought a huge pitcher of water with the separate ice centre. Others had beer with little peanut dishes or sake with a different pickled vegetable. We were curious about what it was and without asking, one man brought some to us to try! It was a tasty brown yummy treat!

The tonkatsu? It was perfect! The breading was different from any other kind we've had (usually made with panko) and far superior. Not sure how they did it. I watched them bread it in a large bowl and each time it produced a little "flour dust" so it was breaded, but however they did it, it was perfect. It didn't taste oily and you couldn't smell or feel the oil around you like you do in so many other "fry joints." The choices are lean or a little fatty pork; we chose the lean meat. The pork was perfectly cooked, cut into bite-sized pieces of tasty perfection. I think we paid about 19 USD per person for our meals.

We are spoiled forevermore, and will have to return upon our next trip to Japan. My husband left today on another trip and stopped for tonkatsu in the Hong Kong Airport at Saboten. It just wasn't the same!

If you want incredible Tonkatsu and want to see how it's made, run, don't walk, to Tonki. Get there early (6-7pm. They are open till 10pm.) There were dozens of people waiting for our seats by the time we finished!

• Visited May 2014