“The best meal we had in Tokyo” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kyubey Main Restaurant

Kyubey Main Restaurant
7-6, Ginza 8-chome, Chuo 104-0061, Tokyo Prefecture (Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi)
+81 3-3571-6523
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 5,175 Restaurants in Chuo
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
Toronto, Canada
“The best meal we had in Tokyo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We went there during lunch time without a reservation. The wait time was around 15 minutes. We were taken to the first floor bar area where we had direct interaction with the chef. The chef who made our sushi tried his best to explain every sushi and how to eat it properly.

In terms of the quality, every piece (even the small rolls near the end) was made to taste perfectly. What made it outstanding from other sushi places was the small details such as the freshness of the seaweed, the crisp of the cucumber, the temperature of the rice, the softness of the egg or the unique treatment of each type of fish.

The set menu we ordered during lunch time was around 8400 yen per person. It was definitely not cheap but it was for sure a good value of money. It well deserved its ranking in TA

Visited October 2013

San Francisco, CA
“Treat yourself”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

There are many places to 'treat yourself' in Tokyo, but boy am I glad I chose Kyubei/Kyubey. Because they only do 11:30 reservations for lunch seatings, and I did not secure one, so I showed up at 11:30 promptly and was told they could seat me in the annex one hour later - and to not be late. I came back and was escorted by the most lovely woman in and upstairs to a waiting room. I waited a bit and then was escorted down to the annex where I sat at the sushi bar as the only westerner. I loved it! I had my very own sushi chef to share with the couple next to me, and he spoke just the perfect amount of English to communicate my shellfish and salmon allergy to. The rest, I mostly let him pick (I ordered individually) - and every piece was absolutely delectable. I also loved that he told me how to eat each one - "this with sauce" "this without" etc. Toward the end of my meal, Chef Imada made a surprise appearance to my little corner at the sushi bar and kindly asked how I was doing and then appropriately asked what brought me in (perhaps he does not get many solo women diners - and I looked well-dressed so perhaps it was business). I told him I'd read about him and his restaurant and wanted to treat myself. He was genuinely happy to hear that and his introduction made the experience that much better. I will go to say that this was one of the best restaurant experiences in my life. Don't be shy - if you're traveling with a non-foodie, this is a wonderful place to experience solo. It's a relatively short experience and the attention will be ALL on YOU. Enjoy! And don't forget to say a hearty, "Itadakimasu" to your chef as he presents your sushi.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Francisco
“Steve Jobs rated it, I do too!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Read that Steve Jobs went here many times and broke his vegan regime to have the eel, so decided to give it a go. Expected to have the Unagi but they actually serve sea eel. Had it as sushi, where it is boiled then grilled, and also just grilled with the zest of something that looked like a lemon grated on it. Both delicious, melt in your mouth. Also had a selection of other sushi and sashimi. All food was excellent. Had Champagne, Chablis and draft Yebisu beer to accompany - drinks were top quality and reasonably priced for what they were. Overall excellent but not cheap!

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Beverley
“Must try corse meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

I visit japan almost every month with my work and love the cuisine.

Taken to this little gem of place by colleague one evening and was not disappointed.

We tried 10 course meal, each dishes was so simple but with depth of flavour. Serving staff was polite, discreet and efficient as you expect from most if eatery in japan.

Fantastic.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Los Angeles
“Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We did the 10 course tasting as of this date and exchange rate it was a great value of $US105 per person. Our chef was awesome, it was a 1:30 hour experience unlike some of the other places you get tossed out in 20 min. Real nice place, I'd definitely visit again.

Visited September 2013