“Treat yourself” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
San Francisco, CA
“Treat yourself”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

There are many places to 'treat yourself' in Tokyo, but boy am I glad I chose Kyubei/Kyubey. Because they only do 11:30 reservations for lunch seatings, and I did not secure one, so I showed up at 11:30 promptly and was told they could seat me in the annex one hour later - and to not be late. I came back and was escorted by the most lovely woman in and upstairs to a waiting room. I waited a bit and then was escorted down to the annex where I sat at the sushi bar as the only westerner. I loved it! I had my very own sushi chef to share with the couple next to me, and he spoke just the perfect amount of English to communicate my shellfish and salmon allergy to. The rest, I mostly let him pick (I ordered individually) - and every piece was absolutely delectable. I also loved that he told me how to eat each one - "this with sauce" "this without" etc. Toward the end of my meal, Chef Imada made a surprise appearance to my little corner at the sushi bar and kindly asked how I was doing and then appropriately asked what brought me in (perhaps he does not get many solo women diners - and I looked well-dressed so perhaps it was business). I told him I'd read about him and his restaurant and wanted to treat myself. He was genuinely happy to hear that and his introduction made the experience that much better. I will go to say that this was one of the best restaurant experiences in my life. Don't be shy - if you're traveling with a non-foodie, this is a wonderful place to experience solo. It's a relatively short experience and the attention will be ALL on YOU. Enjoy! And don't forget to say a hearty, "Itadakimasu" to your chef as he presents your sushi.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

San Francisco
“Steve Jobs rated it, I do too!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Read that Steve Jobs went here many times and broke his vegan regime to have the eel, so decided to give it a go. Expected to have the Unagi but they actually serve sea eel. Had it as sushi, where it is boiled then grilled, and also just grilled with the zest of something that looked like a lemon grated on it. Both delicious, melt in your mouth. Also had a selection of other sushi and sashimi. All food was excellent. Had Champagne, Chablis and draft Yebisu beer to accompany - drinks were top quality and reasonably priced for what they were. Overall excellent but not cheap!

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Beverley
“Must try corse meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

I visit japan almost every month with my work and love the cuisine.

Taken to this little gem of place by colleague one evening and was not disappointed.

We tried 10 course meal, each dishes was so simple but with depth of flavour. Serving staff was polite, discreet and efficient as you expect from most if eatery in japan.

Fantastic.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Los Angeles
“Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We did the 10 course tasting as of this date and exchange rate it was a great value of $US105 per person. Our chef was awesome, it was a 1:30 hour experience unlike some of the other places you get tossed out in 20 min. Real nice place, I'd definitely visit again.

Visited September 2013
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“best sushi night ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Relied on the reviews on Tripadvisor and we weren't disappointed.
This place is just spectacular; don't consider it another meal but a totally different experience.
The sushi is made directly in front of you while the chef shares details on the ingredients he is using, sharing tips on how best to enjoy each piece.
The price is not cheap but 100% its good value for money and worth a visit.
The sushi chefs here are so friendly, many speak English, and they love knowing that you are so happy to be at their restaurant. This was by far the best sushi I have ever had and maybe will ever have unless I come back to Tokyo one day.

• Visited December 2012