“Nice” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 80 Hotels / Ryokan in Chuo
4.0 of 5 stars 764 Reviews
“Nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Reception is one level above the entrance.
The staff speaks perfect English and very quick and smooth check-in.
Rooms were small but the average Tokyo room size. Space is precious there!
We were given welcome drinks since we are Accor Members.
Breakfast however was quite a disappointment going by Mercure standards.
The variety was certainly lacking. There was a good sized salad bar. The cereals were sufficient but very few beverage options. And definitely very little cooked food and breads! So while it was good to taste, it was not filling!
The staff was running and on their toes. It is good but a bit interfering due to lack of space. Elbows everywhere!
However, no complaints otherwise. Wouldn't mind visiting again. I would probably pick a bigger room though.

• Stayed December 2013
, General Manager at Mercure Tokyo Ginza, responded to this review, December 15, 2013

Thank you for leaving your comments on TripAdvisor.

I read carefully your comment and I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. As for breakfast, We are working on a new way to display items as space is the issue for us. As for the drinks, 4 juices are displayed daily additional to milk and hot drinks. I appreciate you to tell me what would be your favorite drink so that to see whether we can add it to our selection.
Regarding the breads and viennoiseries, We display 4 kinds of croissants and French Baguette as well as the brown bread. I would appreciate you to tell me if you had all these at breakfast.

Waiting for your reply, please accept my best regards.

Let me know when you are back to Tokyo...I will be delighted to welcome you personally.

gm@mercureginza.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bolton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

The location of the hotel is very good for a mixture of subway stations and the posh shops such as Louis Vitton etc. The hotel itself is rather disappointing having stayed in many Mercure hotels in the past. I see the Mercure brand as something that is not a budget brand but not the luxury brand either. This hotel however seemed to be to be in the budget category. The hotel seems very dated. You arrive in a very small and darkly decorated lobby area and are greeted with two lifts and some stairs. After a while you work out that you need to get into one of the lifts to get to reception. Unfortunately you have to magic your heavy suitcases and yourself into the lift within a few split seconds before the doors shut on you. When you arrive upstairs to the reception floor, again, it seems like a rather dark, dated decor. You check in and as I was checking in with the receptionist, the reception area was suddenly inundated with what seemed like a coach party of people talking loudly and virtually stampeding their way around you at all angles. We found our way through these people to go to our room, the dreaded lift again which took off before I had time to insert my card and select the floor. We arrived to the floor and again were greeted by some dark decor with no daylight, a long narrow corridor down to our room. The room was tiny and that was when I was thinking, this was meant to be a Superior Room. Bear in mind we had 3 weeks away from home so we had three weeks worth of luggage. There wasn't enough space to open up our two cases, so essentially we had to keep our clothes in our two cases and open them up one at a time on the bed everytime we wanted something out of them. The wardrobe was pretty small anyway with not enough space to hang up one persons clothes never mind two. We then decided to head down for dinner in the restaurant. We arrived down to the restaurant and looked and it looked very much like a roadside diner to us. I apprehensively walked in thinking we are going to have a bad dinner in here. That's when I started to think, this is more like an Ibis hotel, Ibis being a brand I class as low budget. However after experiencing the food and service in the restaurant I was pleasantly surprised, both the service and food were very good. This I class as the highlight of this hotel. The breakfasts in the morning where rather disappointing. You had to ask for cutlery, the milk had run out, so we had to ask for that and the bread rolls seemed as though they had been around for many days. There wasn't really anything inspiring or appetizing about the breakfast, to the point where we just didn't bother with it on our last day. Altogether a rather disappointing experience, the hotel needs an upgrade of decor and a more friendly greeting in the lobby area, rather than arriving and feeling completely disorientated and not knowing where reception is. In the lobby area my initial thought was, have we actually arrived in a hotel or have we walked through the wrong doorway and into an office block. It also needs bigger rooms because to me the room that we were in was certainly far from Superior.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Mercure Tokyo Ginza, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Dear valuable Guest,

Thank you for leaving your comments on TripAdvisor.

I read carefully your comments and I understand that the room looks smaller for you. In Japan, space is an issue and most of the hotels of our category offer the same space for superior rooms. I advise you to consider the Deluxe ones. They are more expensive but much bigger.

As for Breakfast, I will investigate about it and correct if necessary. I will create a questionnaire to collect the guests comments on breakfast and according to these comments, I will update the breakfast with changes so that our clients will all be satisfied with breakfast quality.

Let me just confirm that you were in a Mercure hotel and not Ibis as the room in Ibis hotels is much smaller and the categories are not the same. The room you were in sized a 22.5M2.

Thank you for highlighting the difficulty of reaching the reception from the ground floor. I will set a clear signage for our future clients as this is the first time we get such comment from a guest.

Thank you once again, for your comments and be assured that we will make sure they serve improving our service quality. I am glad to know that you had a good meal at the Bistrot de l'Echanson.

Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Mercure Ginza with our young son for a total of 6 nights in November. This is our favourite place to stay in Ginza. We arrived after a long journey from the US to find the room waiting for us and the little guy's crib already in the room and made up with sheets and blanket. The service is very welcoming and efficient and the staff speak good English (I am sure French too....). The room was one of their deluxe rooms, which are slightly bigger (needed for the crib and all the luggage). For Japan, the room was very spacious.

Breakfast was included in our room rate and had a good selection of Japanese and Western food. The coffee was especially good and much needed when adjusting to the new time zone. We also had welcome drinks in the bistro (benefits of being a Sofitel/Accor card holder....)

The location of the hotel is fabulous. Ginza was very festive with many shops decorated for the holiday season and Tokyo station is close by. We enjoyed walking over to Hibiya park to let our son burn some energy. The hotel is also about a 30 min walk to Tsukiji fish market, so when we could not sleep at 4 am we took a walk to wander around the market and have sashimi for breakfast.

Altogether another very good stay

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valuable Guests,

Thank you for leaving your comments on TripAdvisor.

I am really glad to know that you appreciate our property and its facilities. Some of the team members are French and some of the Japanese ones speak French as well. This helps as many of our clients are European and very familiar with the French language.
Yet, all the employees speak English which makes communication easier with the majority of our clients.
We will be delighted to welcome you again with your family. Please let me know when you are back again, I will be happy to welcome you personally.

Thank you once again, for your comments. I will share them with the teams.

Utrecht, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights in November 2013. Staff at the reception was extremely helpful and welcoming. They helped us making a reservation and helped us with our lost luggage. The rooms are very clean and convenient. The location is very good, walking distance from Tokyo station and the Ginza district.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
, General Manager at Mercure Tokyo Ginza, responded to this review, November 19, 2013

Thank you for leaving your comments on TripAdvisor.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciated the cleanliness of the room and its comfort. As for the teams, I should say that they are the wealth of this place giving our clientele the best of themselves supported by an amazing culture where the others count more.
Naturally, the employees try by all means to satisfy their interlocutor and understand their needs. It is a permanent wonder how to make the others feel at their ease.

Thank you once again, for your comments...I am sure the teams will appreciate them...more, it will give them a better reason to handle our clients the best they can.

Please let me know if you look like coming back to Japan, I will be delighted to welcome you personally.

Best regards,

Perth, Western Australia, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

During my holiday to japan we stayed in several places. This hotel 's staff were amazing. We speak no japanese and they even supplied maps with directions to nearby places,both restaurantsand shops. We didn't have any meals at the hotel but the bar was clean and relaxing. Having a subway station under the hotel also made our travel easy.

• Stayed October 2013
, General Manager at Mercure Tokyo Ginza, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear Valuable Guests,

Thank you for leaving your comments on TripAdvisor.

I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and liked the property being close to most of places of interest. The location of our hotel makes life easier for our clientele and gives them the chance to visit the city through the metro network (one of the most efficient in the world).

Thank you for highlighting the proximity of the restaurants as well offering a variety of specialties for all tastes.

We will be very happy to welcome you again wishing you all the best.

My best regards

Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

The lobby is small and the breakfast choices are few but the room is ok for a Japanese Hotel that is located in Ginza street. Bed can accomodate up to 2 adults and 2 kids if you stay in twin beds room.(small kids only) Location is good and transportation is easy in this hotel. Stay in this hotel if you have lots of money because there is shopping,shopping,and still shopping everywhere around this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
, General Manager at Mercure Tokyo Ginza, responded to this review, November 4, 2013

Thank you for leaving your comments on TripAdvisor.

I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us even if you considered the lobby small. Most of our competitors have the same configuration as Space is an issue in Japan.

I noticed that you gave a 3 Mark out of 5 for service... Would you please let me know what were the issues which had an impact on your decision?

We strive to deliver an excellent , if not, a good service to our clientele and when this latter does not feel at ease, we have to analysis our weaknesses and make sure things are better.

Please let me know if something wrong happened or if the teams did not deliver quality service to you and your family.

Wishing to hear from you, accept my best regards,

Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Super location close to Yurakucho JR station. Several breakfast options closeby. Lots of restaurants in the immediate neighbourhood. Our favourite was ITAMAE (in the street almost right across the main entrance of the hotel). Excellent beds (superior room). Spacy room for Japanese standards. Immaculately clean. No noise at all, either from outside or from inside. Knowledge of English at reception desk varied but service was always perfectly friendly and helpful. We got excellent information on Kabuki Theatre and Sumo wrestler trainings. Airco functioning perfectly (and noiselessly). The only "negative" (rather: strange) fact: every hotel we stayed in in Japan advertised eco friendly rules but when you oblige, they just ignore your eco-friendliness and go ahead and change all the towels and bathrobes daily anyway. I guess they just feel they have to oblige the guests in any way they can, regardless :-). Japan is heaven for tourists (exept for the fact that few people speak any English at all but we managed with sign language anyway). Loved it!

Room Tip: I guess you'll need a superior room if you want enough space.