“Probably the BEST sushi bar in the world” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Sushi
Good for: Families with children, Romance
Good for: Families with children, Romance
London, United Kingdom
“Probably the BEST sushi bar in the world”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

When the old matser chef greeted us and choose for us what to eat I knew there would be nowhere to go wrong...it was simlpy sublime. Percetion. He didn't speak English nor did it matter. When he asked what we want to repeat, I wanted to should; ALL. simply trust him to feed you the best, fresh, and eqixtuite sushi ever!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

82% Recommend
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
“What's all the fuss about?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

We stood in line for an hour to eat at Daiwazushi after a morning visit to the Tsukiji market. Really, we don't understand the fuss over this place. Yes, the fish is fresh but we've eaten just as fresh - and better - in other Tokyo sushi restaurants at half the price and without the hour-long wait. Save your money.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
San Diego, California
“Fresh and oishii nigiri sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I went to Daiwazushi on 5/29/13 at 7:30AM and waited only 25 minutes. The line next door at Sushi Dai wound around building 6 so I didn't even bother with waiting. I ordered the set menu with one hotate as ala carte. The server brought me green tea and a bowl of miso soup after asking what I'd like to drink. The sushi chef served my set in four parts with the hotate following the first part (ootoro, uni, ika, and tamago). The second part was the cut roll of tuna, the third part consisted of ebi and another type of fatty tuna. The last part, which I had forgotten to take a picture of, was the melt-in-your-mouth anago and I can't remember the other type of fish. I guess the anago was too memorable. I finished my set by drinking the miso soup with fish. I think my total bill was around 3800 yen (they only accept cash). After paying at the cash register, you exit through the back of the sushi bar. If you go to the right, you'll end up seeing the long line of people waiting for Sushi Dai. I took the Toei Oedo subway from Shinjuku station and it was around a 20 minute ride. Take the A1 (Tsukiji) exit and you'll see the Tsukiji Fish Market map on your left after getting off the escalator. Turn left after viewing the map and follow the blue outlined pedestrian walkway through the fish market area. You can go to the end of the shops/restaurants and then turn left to look for the numbers on the building. You'll want building 6 for Sushi Dai and Daiwazushi. The first you'll see is Sushi Dai with the really long line of people. Turn left down building 6 to go to Daiwazushi (look for faded, small red curtains).

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bangkok
“Excellent sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We arrived at 8am and waited for a little over an hour for Sushi Daiwa. It was definitely worth the wait. The sushi was so fresh and delicious. I had the Omakase set and loved it. The toro here was the best I've ever had. It was a little pricey, but the quality of food was just impeccable. all in all, an amazing experience.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sydney, Australia
“Shorter line that Sushi Dai and same quality sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

After waiting ten minutes in the line for Sushi Dai (which we were told was a six hour wait), we decided to make better use of our time and head over to the sushi restaurant next door. The wait was only an hour and a half and the sushi was blow-your-mind amazing. I never realised how average the sushi was back in my home country.

Once you get in you are seated at the sushi bar, where a sushi chef serving maybe three or four other customers makes the sushi in front of you as you order it. If you're not sure there is a menu option of seven different types for ¥3500 which is a good start. After that you can get a bit more adventurous!

Maybe if you were a serious sushi connoisseur you might notice the difference between Sushi Dai and Daiwazushi but I think the sushi was absolutely top notch at Daiwazushi. It was certainly far better than any other sushi we had in Tokyo (and we ate a lot of sushi), and just so far out of Australian sushi's league it wasn't funny. Actually, it' a little depressing knowing that I will be having sub-par sushi for the rest of my life! Definitely planning my next trip back to Tokyo asap :)

Visited May 2013