“Fresh and oishii nigiri sushi” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Sushi
Good for: Families with children, Romance
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
San Diego, California
“Fresh and oishii nigiri sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I went to Daiwazushi on 5/29/13 at 7:30AM and waited only 25 minutes. The line next door at Sushi Dai wound around building 6 so I didn't even bother with waiting. I ordered the set menu with one hotate as ala carte. The server brought me green tea and a bowl of miso soup after asking what I'd like to drink. The sushi chef served my set in four parts with the hotate following the first part (ootoro, uni, ika, and tamago). The second part was the cut roll of tuna, the third part consisted of ebi and another type of fatty tuna. The last part, which I had forgotten to take a picture of, was the melt-in-your-mouth anago and I can't remember the other type of fish. I guess the anago was too memorable. I finished my set by drinking the miso soup with fish. I think my total bill was around 3800 yen (they only accept cash). After paying at the cash register, you exit through the back of the sushi bar. If you go to the right, you'll end up seeing the long line of people waiting for Sushi Dai. I took the Toei Oedo subway from Shinjuku station and it was around a 20 minute ride. Take the A1 (Tsukiji) exit and you'll see the Tsukiji Fish Market map on your left after getting off the escalator. Turn left after viewing the map and follow the blue outlined pedestrian walkway through the fish market area. You can go to the end of the shops/restaurants and then turn left to look for the numbers on the building. You'll want building 6 for Sushi Dai and Daiwazushi. The first you'll see is Sushi Dai with the really long line of people. Turn left down building 6 to go to Daiwazushi (look for faded, small red curtains).

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Korean first
Bangkok
“Excellent sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We arrived at 8am and waited for a little over an hour for Sushi Daiwa. It was definitely worth the wait. The sushi was so fresh and delicious. I had the Omakase set and loved it. The toro here was the best I've ever had. It was a little pricey, but the quality of food was just impeccable. all in all, an amazing experience.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sydney, Australia
“Shorter line that Sushi Dai and same quality sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

After waiting ten minutes in the line for Sushi Dai (which we were told was a six hour wait), we decided to make better use of our time and head over to the sushi restaurant next door. The wait was only an hour and a half and the sushi was blow-your-mind amazing. I never realised how average the sushi was back in my home country.

Once you get in you are seated at the sushi bar, where a sushi chef serving maybe three or four other customers makes the sushi in front of you as you order it. If you're not sure there is a menu option of seven different types for ¥3500 which is a good start. After that you can get a bit more adventurous!

Maybe if you were a serious sushi connoisseur you might notice the difference between Sushi Dai and Daiwazushi but I think the sushi was absolutely top notch at Daiwazushi. It was certainly far better than any other sushi we had in Tokyo (and we ate a lot of sushi), and just so far out of Australian sushi's league it wasn't funny. Actually, it' a little depressing knowing that I will be having sub-par sushi for the rest of my life! Definitely planning my next trip back to Tokyo asap :)

Visited May 2013
Adelaide, Australia
“fresh and excellent. even the locals are queuing up.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

The Toro (fatty tuna) and uni (sea urchin) sashimi was so fresh and succulent we came back the very next day.
queues are very much shorter and quicker than Sushidai and it is usually only a half hour wait in line if you start lining up at 10am.
if you don't know what you want, the set is a good introduction and you can order extra sushi from their english menu.
I'm not sure if I could ever have sushi outside of japan now.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Mountain View, CA
“The freshest we ever had!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

This is right outside Tsukiji Market--people start lining up around 5 a.m. (at least that was the case while we were here in mid-May.) There's another sushi place, Sushi Dai, a few shops down where the wait was 2 hours at that time in the morning; we'd heard from friends that they're equally good.

The experience was straightforward--there are about 12 seats at the counter, and you either order the sushi set or individual pieces. Most people ordered the set (35,000 yen), and when the chef started serving us, we were blown away by how amazing it was! We get great sushi where we live, but this blew away everything we'd ever had. It was really incredible, and if you love sushi, we think the wait is worth it since you may never have sushi this fresh again. It was really superb. It's not a place where you linger and chat; as soon as you're done, they (very politely) ask you to pay and go so someone else can have a seat.

You might go on your first day in Tokyo since you have to be there early to avoid an ultra long wait, and you might be awake anyway, depending on where you're traveling from.

And if you don't want to wait, I also found this (after our visit):

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere