“Best Sushi and Sashimi tasted” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sushidai

Sushidai
5-2-1 Tsukiji | Tsukiji Fish Market 6th Bldg., Chuo 104-0045, Tokyo Prefecture (Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi)
+81 3-3547-6797
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 5,259 Restaurants in Chuo
Cuisines: Sushi
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch
Neighborhood: Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
London
“Best Sushi and Sashimi tasted”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

I have tasted "quality" sushi and sashimi in various places, but nothing even comes close to sushidai.

It is undoubtedly the best sushi/sashimi place I have ever been to. It doesn't matter if you have a lazy palate, sushidai will surely, surely jolt them right awake.

Don't be turned off by the long queue and the insane time you have to wake up. ITS WORTH IT.

Strongly recommended for anyone (who takes raw sashimi). Caution: it destroys all future expectations of sushi and sashimi. I have staved off sushi everywhere else since then.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Makati, Philippines
“Best Sushi, period.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We lined up at 9AM on a Thurs and
got our table just a little after 12NN but it was definitely worth the wait. We chose the chef's choice menu at 4,000 yen,which gave us 10 pieces of nigiri sushi, miso soup and orders some ice cold beer. There were a lot of other sushi places around Tsukiji but this place was definitely the most sought after. The quality and freshness of the fish was simply amazing. I will definitely do this again on my next trip to Tokyo.

After doing more research online, I found out that if you line up at 7AM, you might just get in right away but expect at least an hour's wait anytime after that.

Tokyo, Japan
“Excellent Sushi, long queue”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

I live in Tokyo and visited other Tsukiji Market sushi restuarants and I can assure that the quality of the sushi is worth the 3 hours wait in line. It is a 30 minute meal costing USD40 that is really worth it. The staff speaks basic English and explain what you are eating in a friendly manner, which also helps. So my recommendation is... yes, wait in line to enjoy it. I arrived at 9am and ate at 12PM. We rotated as friends in visiting the market, so time did not go as slow as expected. Best to come on a week day arround 8am.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Taipei, Taiwan
“Best sashimi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Generally, you have to be in line for ~2 hours for one meal. I am not a person with patience. My friends and I almost gave up when we were in line for one hour (it was winter and my nose kept running). However, we thought to ourselves that we couldn't give up now! One of our friends went buy some hot tea and fried eggs (tamago yaki, also famous Japanese food) to comfort our anxiety. In the end, we finally approached the final line in front of the restaurant! None of the food inside failed us. There's no regret standing in the chilly winds for more than 2 hours! It was so tasty that even I think of those dishes now and my mouth gets watering!

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dublin, Ireland
“Great sushi and long queues live up to expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

Tried Sushi Dai yesterday having read and heard a lot about it. Both the sushi and its infamous wait time lived up to expectations!

We started to queue at about 4.45am and got inside after about 1.5hours. We had a lot of fun in the queue with people we met and discussed our experiences in Japan.

Once inside the atmosphere is fantatsic. There are approx 11 seats. Three sushi chefs stand directly in front of you and prepare everything. We had the large 11-piece menu for 3900¥. The quality of the sushi was top class. The fish is incredibly fresh, the cuts are beautiful and the delivery and general ambience make the experience. The o-toro (fatty tuna) and uni (sea urchin) are extremely good.

Queuing for 1.5hours for food is not usually my idea of a good meal but in some ways it's part of the experience here. There is definitely sushi of similar quality available elsewhere but in terms of value and a great overall experience Sushi Dai is fantastic. We visit Yoshitake later in the week so I'm looking forward to seeing how the high-end sushi restaurants compare.