“Incredible.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sushidai

5-2-1 Tsukiji | Tsukiji Fish Market 6th Bldg., Chuo 104-0045, Tokyo Prefecture (Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi)
+81 3-3547-6797
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner
Neighborhood: Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Not much more to be said as many reviewers have already said it, but I'll up the ante and say I waited FIVE hours for Sushi Dai - and had not one regret after the fact. It was a pain, but we got to the line at 7. And because they want each group (you're brought in by groups) to have such a special experience, they honor that each group will be in there for about 45 minutes while the rest wait. Luckily we met a fun group ahead of us, so we got to know them VERY well and we swapped tips for where to eat that week in Tokyo. Anyhow --- you will never have such fresh sushi in your life. And trust the chefs about exploring if you're ordering individual like I did (I have specific fish allergies that makes it easier to order individual pieces). I had the best kai and kanpachi of my life here and will never ever forget it. The chefs are lovely as is the woman host - she will treat you like gold. So: go to Sushi Dai, wait, bring a book or seating pad for the ground, and get ready to have the experience of a lifetime.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Toronto, Canada
“Worth the wait”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

This was not only the best sushi I had throughout Japan but also one of the best meals of my life.
We arrived at 5:00 am, having missed the Tuna auction. We waited for about an hour and a quarter. It was definitely worth the wait and honestly, it was part of the experience for us. The line was a mix of locals, including salary men and a famous Judo fighter who ended up seated beside us at breakfast, Japanese from other areas of Japan and foreigners from around the world. By the time we were finished at about 7:00 am we checked the line ant it had quadrupled from when we began so I imagine those arriving at that time had quite the wait.
We both ordered the larger Omakase experience. It was unbelievable. I think my favourite was the horse mackeral and obviously the otoro and uni but everything was wonderful. The chef in charge of our area was hilarious. He worked so quickly, like a true artist, but he also entertained us and made us feel like we were not just two people in a long line of people he would meet that day. Everything was so fresh and perfect. Others have commented on the price but I thought it was great value for the quality of fish and the types of fish presented. We left feeling incredibly satisfied.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Yes it is a 2 hour wait”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

There is no getting around the fact that you will have to wait an hour or two to enjoy this quirky sushi restaurant. They open at 3 a.m. and close the line at 2 p.m. There are only a dozen seats inside, but also a fantastic array of fresh fish served by experienced chefs who thank you for waiting.

Wichita, KS
“Blew my mind...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I told myself I wasn't going to visit Sushidai. No food is good enough to queue for 4 hrs. Nope, not jumping on that bandwagon. And yet, there I was...a foolish lemming.

I was unable to convince my husband to skip the tuna auction, so after hours of waiting around for the relatively brief moments that were already captured in countless boring youtube videos, we were winding our way towards the restaurant area of Tsukiji Market. Our fatal mistake was deciding to stop by to check out Sushidai's infamous line. Surely as early as we were (6:20a), there would be no line. Turning the corner, we encountered it...but it seemed innocuous...definitely less than 30 ppl. Their largest option was an 11 sushi set. I recall the famous Jiro Sushi has a 20 piece omakase, and the visit usually lasts 20 mins....so the wait here should be no more than maybe an hour...?

2 hrs later, we still had not moved. But I had checked out the other surrounding options, and really, this seemed the best value. Other places either sold less fish at a higher cost, or the quality was not the same. Still, at the two hour mark, I was ready to leave. My husband wanted to stay. He felt that we had already invested all this time, and at any minute, things should start moving. I wanted to ask the employee, but I suspected that she did not speak English. Well, imagine my surprise when she spoke perfect English. You'd think she'd give us a heads up.

Anyways, there's no reason to go into great depth about how incredible the sushi was. This singular experience has completely changed sushi for me...I was Eve biting into the apple of knowledge...There was no turning back. I expect that sushi is now forever ruined for me since none will compare. The fatty tuna will haunt my dreams.

But the interminable wait was ridiculous. I'll remember today fondly, but when I return to Tokyo, I will not repeat my experience. I think that while ppl are outside they're silently cursing the insiders for taking so long, but once they enter those doors, they feel a sense of entitlement to linger and enjoy their food for however long they wish. The staff are a congenial bunch and make no move to hasten the diners out.

I imagine the only ppl who would not suffer a horrible wait are the first 10 or so that are outside the door at 5a when Sushidai opens. If the thought of doing so for food seems ridiculous to you, then don't bother. O, and make sure you don't leave without eating two pieces of fatty toro.

Visited October 2013
Bucharest, Romania
“Out of this world sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We found out about Sushidai from TripAdvisor, so we went there after visiting the Tsukiji Market, around 10AM. There was a line, of course, and we had to wait for almost 2 hours to get in. Me and my husband, we have a "no line" policy - we don't stand in line more than 15 min for anything, but when it comes to sushi, we decided it should be worth it after the incredible reviews. And IT WAS!! We ate the best sushi ever, especially that Fatty Tuna piece that I will never forget :)
We also liked our chef very much, he was a very lively and funny character.
Not to forget - as we waited in the line to get in, one employee offered everybody cold tea and umbrellas because it was a very sunny and hot day - we really appreciated it!
If it wasn't for the very long queue, we would have eaten there every day of our stay in Tokyo.

• Visited August 2013