“Absolutely Amazing Sushi Breakfast (and this from a sushi novice)!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sushidai

Sushidai
5-2-1 Tsukiji | Tsukiji Fish Market 6th Bldg., Chuo, Tokyo Prefecture 104-0045, Japan
+81 3-3547-6797
Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 4,997 Restaurants in Chuo
Cuisines: Sushi
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch
Denver, Colorado
“Absolutely Amazing Sushi Breakfast (and this from a sushi novice)!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Thankfully someone that we had met in the tuna auctions recommended that the line was worth it for Sushidai. And it absolutely was!

We had made friends during the morning so there were seven of us that waited in line together for the 2 1/2 hours before experiencing this meal. It was great to have that many of us as a couple people could go walk around for a while and check the markets out. The line starts around the corner from the tiny restaurant and as you move forward, you eventually turn the corner and get to wait just outside the restaurant in a little fenced off area. At that point, a server gets the number of people in your group and asks for your order. It is truly a fun experience to discuss with everyone in line where they are from and what they are doing. There were also many people that walked by asking what we were waiting in line for (you get funny looks when you tell people you've been in line for two hours for sushi). The ironic part is that there are a number of other sushi restaurant in the same area with no lines. But that didn't change the plans!

Once you finally get inside, you have two options for a seven or eleven piece menu which are served omakase style (chef's choice based on what's fresh that day). The inside of the restaurant is very small and only sits 13 people at a time (hence the long line). We started the meal with egg omelet which was very good. Our group opted to drink cold sake (Ozeki) with the sushi which was a fantastic choice - if you do the same, opt for the large bottle as we went through three small bottles very quickly with only four of us drinking. We were also given green tea and miso soup to go with the sushi.

Here is the sushi that we had:
1) fatty tuna (toro) - this was amazing and by far the best
9) Spanish mackerel
10) rolls - tuna and shellfish/cucumber
11) sea eel or yellow jack
+1 more of your choice = fatty tuna again

Our chef, Satoshi, was amazing and such good fun. He made the experience great and told you how to enjoy each piece (the only ones recommended with soy sauce are the rolls as everything else is best enjoyed as served). It was also recommended to eat the sushi in one bite using your hands.

After you finish your sushi selections, you can choose more from the a la carte menu if desired. I was so full after all that we had that there was no room for anything else. And all this at 8:30 in the morning.

It is a fun experience as you have people watching through the windows during your dining (we did the same before we got into the restaurant). It is truly more than just dining - it is an experience.

Very well worth the wait and I don't know how sushi will ever compare again!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Washington DC area
“Good qual, decent price, long line”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I went to the Tsukiji fish market tuna auction, and planned for sushi breakfast afterward. We got in line around 6:45am. I figured this place was one of the "famous" places at the market, and I had nowhere else to be, except sleeping or packing for my return flight later that day. By 9:30 I knew it would be at least another hour in line before we got in, so I was getting really concerned about missing my train to the airport. My friend asked nicely if anything could be done, and they packed us up the omikase menu in a box and we ate it on the street outside the restaurant. Not exactly the experience I was looking for, but the sushi was good, and fresh. If had *anything* else I wanted to be doing on my last day in Japan, I would not have waited in this line. No way. It would have probably been 4 hours of waiting in total. That's nuts. If I wasn't so damn tired from being up early, I should have calculated the approximate wait time based on the number of people in line and saw it was too long and gone somewhere else. But the fact that I had planned to spend my last day at the market until I left meant I didn't mind so much waiting in line. I just wish I could have gotten the full experience. Last time I went to the market (several years ago), I arrived around 9-9:30 and was in line at some random restaurant nearby around 10-10:30. There was a 30 minute wait. The options for fish were not as varied as Sushi Dai but the quality of the fish I did have was excellent. The value was good too. I didn't feel it was overpriced for what we got. So next time I'm in Japan, will I go back to Sushi Dai? Not for a wait of more than an hour, that's for sure. Should you go? Depends on how much you value your time and how important it is for you to be able to say you tried the famous place.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“A-MA-ZING! One hour of pure delight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Having scouted TripAdvisor before heading to Tokyo, this was right at the top of the places to visit and it really deserves to be. The quality of the sushi here is the best I've ever had, being streets ahead of anything else I had during my two weeks in Japan (or the UK, for that matter).

We attempted to visit the tuna auction in Tsukiji market and arrived at half 4 in the morning. Alas, we missed it be a few minutes and all 120 places had already been snapped up. So, we headed to Sushidai armed with a GPS and a starred location on Google Maps, and by 4.40am you could tell you were at the right place. With 20 minutes until opening we were around 20th in the queue, meaning that we faced a wait of just over two hours. Passing the time you should be able to strike up conversion with other groups, all the while having fish being transported on motorised carts just feet away. Heck, you might even see Tony Hawk having a wander through Tsukiji at half five in the morning!

We got the Omakase of 10 nigri plus one of your choice, and we were greeted by our personal Itamae (chef) for the hour. All three chefs speak (enough) English and help guide you throught the taste experience. The nigri goes straight onto the counter in front of you, the large slither of fatty tuna delicately moulded around the seasoned rice and brushed slightly with soy sauce. There's no dipping required, you just eat the piece straight up...and oh my.

Gorgeous seafood kept coming for another 10 more bites (I opted for the botan shimp as my +1, for the record) and you also get miso, a chunky piece of tamago and four pieces of maki. To be fair, it's very filling but it really was the most delightful meal I had in Japan.

For 3900 Yen (~£25) per person it probably was the most expensive breakfast I've ever had. It is, however, worth every single penny - the only other piece of sushi that I had in my two weeks that came any where near as close to the 11 pieces I had here was the fatty salmon that made it's way around Musashi Sushi in Kyoto.

People comment on here that it's overrated, after all it is only one of two places in Tsukiji that are mentioned everywhere, with this one in particular featuring on TimeOut's top Tokyo eats. There may be other outlets a few doors away that might be just as good or better! Regardless, it's one amazing experience and I'd have to say that the anticipation of the queue just adds to it.

If I could come here every day, I would. It really is a sushi heaven.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Francisco, California
“I can't believe I waited 3 hrs but it was worth it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I got in line at 5AM and 3 hours later, I was eating some of the best sushi of my life. This sushi bar is small and doesn't accommodate too many people inside at all. I would suggest you pack something warm to wear and be friendly to those around you in line to pass the time. Once inside, I never felt rushed. It's really cramped inside. Everything I had was simply amazing (something different I've never seen in the states is "cod sperm sacs," it tasted creamy). They only take cash too (I think it cost around $40USD for the standard 10 piece set).

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Francisco, California
“Worth the 3.5 hour wait”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Loved the sushi chefs and the sushi was to "dai" for!
Don't forget to go to the fish market as well and see the bidding, so much fun but get there early!

Visited June 2013