“Melts in the mouth” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sushidai

Sushidai
5-2-1 Tsukiji | Tsukiji Fish Market 6th Bldg., Chuo, Tokyo Prefecture 104-0045, Japan
+81 3-3547-6797
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Melts in the mouth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I can't help repeating this cliche sounding phrase upon every savory bite of the sushi, "Wow the toro melts in the mouth..wow this melts too" because it really DOES.

Dragged ourselves out of bed and half ran/half walked to reach this famous small place at 5am. The queue has already started. There were a couple of times where we contemplated to give up and walked over to Daiwasushi (which we will definitely try next time) but we prevailed. After 2 1/2 hours of waiting, hungry and exhausted but exhilarated, we were let in!! The friendly staff and chefs greeted us with a thank you for the long wait, and looking at the large amount of fresh fish meats at the counter which they successfully bid at 4am's auction, we knew it was going to be worth it. Better bring a cap if you're going during summer because the sun can be a pest as our queue line didn't have shades to hide under.

We ordered omakase (10 + 1 - 1 extra which you can choose from any menu). When the first piece arrived, we marveled at the thickness of the shining tuna belly. I was amazed at the warmness of the rice (got used to eating cold sushi back home because it wasn't made by the top sushi gurus in the world). Then i took a delicious bite. And then another and another...

If you are not a big eater, it's advisable to not finish the omelette dish in case you cannot eat the rest of the sushi and it's going to be such a waste!!! I had to take out some of the rice so that i can make space in my stomach to enjoy the succulent fresh meat.

It is unfortunate that due to the fact of not being able to forget the amazing sushi in Sushidai, i can't really appreciate the sushi back in my country anymore.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

88% Recommend
Southport, United Kingdom
“Oh my god, this place.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

This place was just amazing, I cannot help but recommend it to anyone visiting Tokyo (if you're jetlagged then even better).
We went to theTsukiji Fish Market with my friend while I was in Japan, and we naively thought we can get there early enough to take a look at the tuna auction. Unfortunately no, by 6 AM or so when we arrived we couldn't get in there, so we figured we do something else with our time instead so we stood in the line to eat some sushi. Little did we know we'll be still standing there 3 hours later (and the rain was drizzling to boot as well). The proprietors were awfully kind even then, handing out glasses of water to the people waiting outside.
But anyhow we managed to get in and took 2 of the 10 seats for ourselves. We went with the Omakasete choice, and for what heavenly food we got I think it was a great value for 3900 yen. Everything was so fresh and scrumptious that words alone won't be able to express it adequately. The chefs were really nice, chatty, discreetly producing the sushi and presenting it, while cracking jokes with everyone, and they were one of the few Japanese people I encountered whom spoke decent English. Must go if you're in the region.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A great early start to sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Make sure to wake up extremely early! If you're jet lagged like we were, then this was not a big issue. Woke up at 3:30 and taxi'd over to the fish market. We arrived around 4, but ended up getting lost trying to figure out where the restaurant was. Asked a few locals and they directed us two different ways. Finally figured out we had to walk thru the entrance (you will seem some colorful safety illustrations) and make a left to the stalls. The sushi restaurant itself is sMALL and seats only 10 people. Place does not have its name in English so make sure you know what the place looks like! When we arrived there was already a line!! We did not make it in time for the first line, so we had to wait at least an extra 30 minutes for the next serving. The sushi chefs do speak English, and tell you what you're eating so that's a plus! Compad to the sushi in good ole USA, this was the best. You can completely taste the difference. I'd say it was one of those once in a lifetime experiences if you do not frequently travel to Japan. Staff and food were awesome. Surprised I liked the horse mackerel.. Only thing I wasn't too much a fan of was the baby squid, b it everything else rocked!

Tips:
Make sure to bring cash - no credit cards accepted!
Dress in layers! It was pretty cold when we were waiting, and warmed up later.
The place is tight with only benches and stools so handicap folks would have issues

Visited April 2013
Los Angeles, California
“go early!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Just a tip about waiting.
Go before 4am. If you can make it to the first entry group, you'll be fine,
otherwise wait will be another 1 hour.
Also stay at a hotel within walking distance and bring warm jacket (even during summer).
Sushi is good but the reputation go beyond it. (atmosphere and whole waiting experience is a part of value)

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Los Angeles, California
“Worth getting up early for!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

My first stop in Tokyo is always the tsukiji fish market for a sushi breakfast. I normally go to Sushi Daiwa since i hate waiting in lines but since i went with friends this time, I convinced everyone to wait in line with me this time around. We arrived at 5am or so and got in after 1 hour and 45 minute wait. Hated the wait but the anticipation of having sushi for breakfast slowly built up my excitement and hunger! There was a lady managing the lines who brought us out a cold glass of flavored water when the sun came out and started to become a little warmer. Glad she didn't want us to suffer from heat stroke!

Since i don't have a side by side comparison of the two sushi joints it's hard for me to determine which is better, but there did seem to be a better offering in the omakase at sushi dai. I wish I had ordered some of the specials that they had posted but i was a little sleeply/unconscious while i was there. It was great talking to the sushi chefs who were all very entertaining [i speak japanese].

Tips: arrive early [i know of some people who arrived at 4:00am so that they were the first ones in]; wear comfortable shoes; bring a big appetite. Don't put soy sauce on the nigiri sushi they serve you - it's perfectly prepared for the perfect balance of flavors already. Cash only!

• Visited May 2013