“Wonderful sushi breakfast!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Stockholm
“Wonderful sushi breakfast!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Me and my wife went here after visiting the market. The sushi is absolutely great! Service was a little non-attendant, but as a whole - very good!

The fatty tuna sushi was the best I have eaten!

Melbourne Australia
“Benchmark sushi restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

We had a day (more like 8 hours) in Tokyo. After getting off the bullet train at Tokyo station, we headed straight to Tsukiji Fish market. Sushisay is the oldest sushi restaurant in the market, and it took a while for us to find it. There was a queue at the door and the waitress was taking names, asking us if we want to eat sushi or other specialties. Sushi it was and after 10 min we were led inside to the sushi bar. There are 12 seats around the bar with 3 chefs. The head chef looked after us as the head chef always looks after the entrance side.
We ordered our set and just sat there soaking in. All the chefs were joking and laughing with the other customers while displaying their skills in making sushi. Part of the joy of eating sushi is to watch the skills display and part is the food itself. Food was fresh and tasty. Also, this store is the best of all their other branches I've been to (Osaka, Kyoto and Shinjuku).

• Visited April 2013
Hong Kong
“Good quality sushui which do no need to queue”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

After a visit at Tsukiji Market, we were starving. Most of the sushi bar at Tsukiji Market have long queue (need to wait over 3omins). We decided to head to Tsukiji Outer Market to find a reasonable price and no queue sushi restaurant. We quickly find this one and remember it one the restaurants being recommended by a few guide books. Most important, they have seats available!

You could order set (which we did) and The staff did speak a little bit of English and very friendly. We were being seated at the sushi bar which we could order our sushi directly from the master (all we need to do is to point to the menu and indicate how many piece we want). Everything taste wonderful! To our surprise, the set we order is on discount to celebrate Tsukiji Market 77th Anniversary. Even better!

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Still the best sushi in Japan”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

Sushisay is a great restaurant, but I would strongly recommend going there for lunch as opposed to dinner and sitting at the first floor counter. The reason is that by the end of the day they are running out of fish and tsukiji is turning into a ghost town. My favorite time is about 10:30am on a Saturday or Sunday, when one can order up delicacies and have a cold beer or warm sake to go along. It is a little decadant but so is fatty tuna. The sushi chefs are very friendly; there is an english menu. The atmosphere of happy people eating sushi is priceless.

• Visited March 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
“Tourist friendly without the tourist queues, serves beautiful sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2010

We wanted to visit THE Tsukiji Fish Market and see what the fuss is all about. We also went early enough around 7am to go around the inner market and have a look around. Most guide books recommended going earlier to queue at one of the popular sushi restaurants as part of the experience. First, we didn't really want to get up that early (coming from Shibuya) and queueing for 1 or 2 hours for a brisk sushi breakfast. I was also told that those sushi restaurants in the inner market, that since you're a gaijin (foreigners) you won't be able to order the sushi a la carte. This was a huge problem since my partner has his likes and dislikes and this could be a bit of a problem.

So after asking around in TA forum, we were advised to try some of the equally fantastic sushi restaurants on the outer market. We were recommended to go to Sushisay and found 2 branches a few minutes from each other on the same street. The one that we went to was Sushisay Honten and it was not due to open until 0830 which I thought was fantastic and great timing after our wee tour around the market.

We got there a little before 0830 and was surprised that they weren't open yet (considering other shops in the inner market had queues since 3am). So we walked around the outer markets and bought transparent umbrellas since it started raining. We walked past the second branch and thought it was odd that they have 2 shops within such proximity. When we returned there was a short queue of locals outside the restaurant as they were readying to open their doors. I thought the queue of locals was a good sign, as opposed to the long queues of foreigners in the inner market.

We were immediately seated and they swiftly put away our bags and covered our wet umbrellas in plastic bags. The place was not big but it wasn't tiny. I thought the atmosphere was warm and welcoming, there was no "hurrying" gesture like I was expecting. The very polite waitress gave us the english menu which had pictures and prices and we have never been so glad to see one. My partner ordered a beer (at 0830AM! But the locals were doing the same!) and I ordered a nice cup of green tea. The chef in front of us took our orders and his speedy hands danced away rolling the rice and fresh slabs of fish and gently laid them on our plates.

Now, I did some research on how to eat the "real" Japanese sushi. But I still made the biggest mistake when I was trying to take hold of the sushi with my chopsticks and accidentally ruined the rice when I couldn't turn the sushi over to dip the tuna onto the soy sauce. The rice went all over inside the soy sauce bowl and this was a big NO-NO!

The sushi chef noticed that and kindly swapped the soy sauce with a fresh one and replaced the ruined sushi, he then taught me how to properly eat a sushi with chopsticks. He told me (in Japanese and body language) to turn the sushi over to its side, and pick it up with the chopsticks with one stick by the rice and the other by the meat/tuna. Then dip the meat/tuna side onto the soy sauce a little before eating it. So I did and it was the most amazing sushi I have ever tasted. Completely different to what I have tasted in my home country. The rice was fluffy, moist and warm. The tuna was so soft and fresh and it could almost melt in your mouth. I tried the other funny sushi but was impressed with just about everything.

I don't really want to recommend this to other tourists fearing there would be a huge line of tourists the next time I go, but this place is truly a hidden gem. Try keeping this one to yourself.