“Hesitate to let others know” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Yamazaki

Yamazaki
5-2-1 Tsukiji | Tsukiji Market Building 6, Chuo, Tokyo Prefecture 104-0045, Japan
+81 3-3541-1105
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 4,930 restaurants in Chuo
Cuisines: Sushi
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Hesitate to let others know”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Sushi outstanding and no 2 hour wait! Lovely family operation where they'll go pick up dancing shrimp upon request.

Visited June 2013

95% Recommend
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1,404 reviews 1,404 reviews
“Fresh”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Tip: go very early could be a little stressful (crowded and very busy).
Good restaurant to have fresh sushi in the market, not extremely busy, slighter cheap than others. Pros: Helpful staff, high quality, fresh, good value for money.
It's located in the market next to a very pop restaurant.
The price is reasonable. Very fresh. I highly recommend it.

• Visited June 2013
Washington, DC
“Great Sushi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

After touring the fish market, me and my guide swung by Daiwazushi and SushiDai and when we saw the long 2 hour wait lines, she immediately suggested we go else where. So off to Yamazaki we went and there wasn't a line. The sushi was delicious and the quality exceptional. Check it out!

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“Same fish, less wait”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

After viewing the tuna auction at the fish market we decided to get an early morning sushi breakfast. The lines at Daiwazushi and SushiDai were already pushing two-three hours at 6:00 a.m., so we decided to try our luck at the third restaurant which was situated between the other two, with the shortest line of the three – Yamazaki. I find it very hard to believe that the fish at the other two restaurants can be worth the additional two plus hour wait, when this was the freshest fish I've had in my life. We did wait slightly over an hour wait, however a nice lady (possibly the owner or manager) brought tea out to us waiting in line prior to any of the other restaurants offering tea to their waiting patrons. There were also some local fishermen inside, which we thought was a good sign. The sushi was awesome—as fresh and as wonderful as we were expecting. We tried two separate “sets” that they offered, one with roe and one with uni. The fish in both were awesome. We also got the otoro off the menu, in addition to the two other types of tuna in our sets. Our neighbors were trying something that the locals had eaten, some type of fish being torched lightly, but we decided to have the nigiri only. I highly recommend this place! Why wait in line for over three hours for the same fish? Seems silly to me.

My only suggestion would be don’t go to any of these three restaurants with a large group. Two people was perfect. Three or more and you’ll be waiting much longer for space at the counter to open up. Also expect to be waiting in line with some inebriated folks who have stayed up all night. If you can't handle drunks at 6:00 a.m., maybe wait a few hours later and try again.

• Visited April 2013
manila
“Daiwa what?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

To be frank, my friends and I were really targeting to eat at daiwa but when we saw the long queue and noticed that this place at that time can accomodate the six of us, we went it and figured "how far can the taste of this sushi place can be from daiwa considering they surely get their fish from tsukiji market as well"...true enough our hunch was validated, the sushi in this place isn't inferior to daiwa...they also have 3 sets to choose from unlike daiwa which has only a standard set, we also a couple sharing a set which I think is not allowed in daiwa...the more you order additional sushi, the larger the piece the sushi chef will give you as we have witnessed...i have also tried daiwa in 2010 and I can attest that yamazaki is just as good if not better!

• Visited February 2013