“3 star sushi” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Singapore, Singapore
“3 star sushi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

The sushi was excellent, but i think my palette isn't sophisticated enough to determine if it merits 3 Michelin stars. After all, most of the food is just raw fish and rice. Amazing fish, granted, but raw all the same

Visited March 2013

80% Recommend
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bangkok
“Michellin 3 star well deserved”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Sorry for the people who felt the price is too high for the quality. For me, if the food it good enough price and quantity comes later. Atmosphere is a bit quiet, but the master chef doesn't speak any English. So unless you speak Japanese, no one should be expecting a party there. Japanese have there own way of doing things. If you take a bit of your time to learn about them you'll understand a whole lot more. Being able to get a seat within a week's notice makes me grateful that I had the chance to be there. It is located at the JUNO building 9th floor. They only sit 10 people, so if you manage to get an appointment to dine there, you don't want to miss it.

Anyhow, I was there on Valentine days 2013, and I must say, each bite is sensational. The Best of each type of sushi I've ever had. I don't know when I'll be able to taste sushi that good again. I went with my friend and 2 of us end up paying 23,000 yen. It's cheap for a Michelin 3 star restaurant. I would recommend sashimi first then follow by sushi. They do have 2 English speaking person there. I'm betting the one standing beside the chef is the master chef's son. The other one looks hired. How they work is that they separate the dinning time into slots. Each night they have 3 slots. I got the 5:00 PM slot, and the next slot is 7:00 PM. So I'm assuming it's 2 hours eating time per each slot. We were late for 30 min, but they happily welcome us regardless( I wouldn't recommend doing this though). So we have 1.30 hour to dine. Photos are not allowed as they distracts the chef. I did only manage to snap some photo (might not be very useful, but that's the best that I can do). Anyhow, do not expect to be served with many pieces. I would think it's about 10-12 pieces. When they serve you the egg, that's the end of the course. If I go back to Tokyo again, I'll be sure to go there again if they have a free slot that is

In my opinion, all sushi places get their fishes at the Tsukiji fish market, but I suspect that only the top sushi place gets the best part of the fish to serve you. Those parts aren't many, so if you get to taste them consider it a blessing, cuz the chances of getting those outside Japan is very slim.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Orange County, CA
“Best quality sushi, but would not return”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

Best quality sushi I've ever eaten! The tuna was like butter, the fish in general was to perfection. That said, the price was insane for what you get.. We had a 15 "course" sushi/sashimi meal with 2 beers for over $600 USD for 2 persons!! Each course was 1 piece of sushi. Each bite was amazing, but in Tokyo you can get equal quality fish at a much better price, let alone atmosphere. The staff was kind, but we were a bit uncomfortable and it was a bit quiet and stuffy. Overall, it was definitely an experience, but we will not return nor would we recommend this place to others, unless of course, money is no problem.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Kuwait
“Probably the best meal I ever had!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

First of all I have to point out this is NOT Jiro at the underground as some reviewers say, this is on the 9th floor or a building in Ginza.

Not only was this the best sushi I ever had, but it probably the best meal I have ever had. The sushi itself is incredible! I have been to other Michelin star sushi restaurants (this was my first 3 star though), and nothing comes even close. Beyond the freshness and amazing taste of each order presented by the chef, it was the incredible balance of the meal that made it my best ever! I know I'm sounding too poetic but every bite came in the perfect order to complete a perfect overall story. It really is perfection through simplicity.

The chef is friendly but doesn't speak English. One of his staff speaks good English. At first the chef just went on with his job but the more questions I asked the more involved he got, he even ushered one of his staff to get a book to show me the fish I asked about. I told him in advance that my wife doesn't eat uni or anago, (which you should always do in advance) but he actually convinced her to try the uni in a friendly way and she loved it!

After trying lunch at Sukiyabashi Jiro Roppongi two days earlier , I was expecting something similar (it was very good), but there really is no comparison, this at a different level altogether (we went for lunch). Surprisingly it was also a much better value in terms if price! Lunch for two + a couple of extra orders of pieces we liked came up to ¥41,000.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
NYC
“Incredible”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

It is expensive. All the sushi restaurants of this level are. But there is a reason for that. Despite the popular believe, sushi is not an every day food. It is a special occasion meal. And if you have one, go to this restaurant. As mentioned before, you get to sit in the front of Hachiro Mizultani and to see him work. He is not a charmer, but was very nice to me and named every sushi he delivered in Japanese. FYE: he allowed my wife to take some pictures of food with her phone and offered to pose with us for the picture when we were leaving. We felt very welcome and comfortable. He behaved exactly the same way toward Japanese customers and payed great deal of attention to his work. I have not been to Sukiyabashi Jiro's place, but was told by Japanese individuals that you are simply ignored there, if you do not speak Japanese.
The food: Obviously we went with chef selection (I suspect otherwise we would be kicked down all 9 flights of stairs). 4 pieces of sushimi: hirame, awabi(abalone - the best I have ever had), saba, miru-gai wraped in nori. 9 pieces of sushi: kohada, ika, maguro, chutoro, otoro, aka-gai (spectacularly presented), sawada, anago, uni from hokkaido, ebi. As well tamago and maguro maki.
I still remember the taste of every piece. Came to Y 27,000/ person with beer and very good sake. I was very happy with the experience. My wife as well.

• Visited November 2012