“I saw a side of Tokyo that most tourists miss!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 10 Activities in Chuo
Type: Biking Trails, Sightseeing Tours
Naples, Florida
15 attraction reviews
“I saw a side of Tokyo that most tourists miss!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

I consider this bicycle tour one of the highlights of my trip to Japan for several reasons. First, it is not something I have ever done on a vacation (and something I rarely do at home). Second, I saw part of the city I would never have seen by other modes of transportation. We crossed bridges, took back neighbourhood streets, paths along the bay and had a fabulous picnic in the park that included incredible fresh tuna (we had purchased at the fish market that morning). There were many times I would have loved to stop and take a few photos but would have been left behind. Sometimes the pace of riding in between the pedestrians and other cyclists was a bit scary. However, the only down side for me was at the end of the day. I was really sore from the hard seat and drop handle bars of the touring bikes. They are the best bikes for the bridges and terrain that we covered but my middle aged body looked longingly at the upright, old fashioned bikes that I saw most locals riding. If you are out of shape, or haven't been on a bike in years, be forewarned. You should also bring nothing with you but a small backpack.

Chester, United Kingdom
“A great day out! Do not miss it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

Excellent guide, itinerary, bikes, refreshments. Just perfect and a
great way to see Tokyo.

Hamburg, Germany
39 attraction reviews
“Great way to explore, enjoy and meet interesting people.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011 via mobile

Very much enjoyed the Tokyo bay tour on a sunny Saturday morning!

Sydney
13 attraction reviews
“Highlight of my Tokyo Trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

I am in Japan visiting my friend who moved to Tokyo for work. I don't speak a word of Japanese and have found Tokyo not the easiest city to be a tourist in.
Luckily after reading such good reviews of trip advisor I booked this tour and did Route B Sumo Wrestler's Ride (because it fitted it with my schedule, not because of a fascination with Sumo's)
I was very lucky and just had one other person on the tour, a great guy my age who was visiting from America. Our tour guide Yuki was fantastic-she was so knowledgable and so fun!
For those who are not fit and worried about cycling-we spent about 3 hours on our bikes in all. Very few (maybe 3?) small hills. My tour mate had not ridden for 15 years and he was fine-well he was tired by the end but fine, so don't stress unless your are very unfit.
We first visited, Nihombashi-A historic old bridge. Then the Old town, Ningyo-cho where we
shopped at Japanese-style confection store and Yuki bought us morning tea. I had a delicious rice paper bun with red bean paste and chesnuts which we ate in the park. Also Yuki buys bottles of water for us throughout the tour-yay! Next was Ryogoku (Sumo stadium) We did not see any Sumo wrestlers praciticing which was a bit of a disappointment for my cycle buddy but we did see them lounging around in their gear.
We then cycle to Asakusa where we visited a department store food hall and got to pick what we wanted for lunch. I had a delicious bento box with dumplings and salmon and a mango drink. My cycle buddy had tempura pork bento box and a coconut drink. We ate them by the river and finished off with fresh fruit (very expensive in Japan). We both agreed our lunch was amazing-so fresh and tasty. Yuki also helped me buy green tea bags while in the food hall to take home.
Next was Ueno park which has Zojyo-ji Temple and Tokyo Tower. You can have some free time walking around and there are shops-my friend told me (after the tour!) that this would have been a great place for me to buy a cotton kimino. We then cycled to the University of Tokyo and Yuki bough us rice paper ice cream and green tea oreo's-very cool!
The next part was the prettiest part of the ride, the small & narrow streets in the Hongo area.
Last stop was the Imperial Palace. A very interesting history of the royal family and the love the Japanese people feel towards them.
After we finished the tour we were invited to have beers with Yuki and she pointed out her favourite places to eat nearby for us.
A truly memorable day, so informative, fun, healthy and great for getting a sense of direction in Tokyo. I recommend doing this early on in your trip!
Thank you Yuki for such a brilliant day-a MUST DO in Tokyo.

Quezon City, Philippines
“tgct”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

This is a fun, great , XTRAORDINARY and healthy way of going around the "concrete jungle." Best day is on weekends, less traffic.