“Great but old” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Imperial Hotel Tokyo

You added Imperial Hotel Tokyo to your Saves list
Imperial Hotel Tokyo
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1-1-1 Uchisaiwaicho, Chiyoda 100-8558, Tokyo Prefecture (Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
*** Enjoy15% OFF ***
Ranked #7 of 65 Hotels / Ryokan in Chiyoda
Doha, Qatar
“Great but old”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

Nice but old hotel. Centrally located. 10 mins walk to Ginza and there are plenty of restraunts around.
Staff is very friendly and speak english.
Plenty of taxis 24/7. Stayed for four nights for work.
From the Narita airport you can take one the bus service and they stop right at the hotel door step.

• Stayed February 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

Pretty much as good as it gets. Health club, an indoor pool, a spa tub, sauna and great restaurants. My room was big and spacious. Lots of polished marble in the bathroom and of course the famous Japanese toilet seats.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
palm desert
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

The Imperial Hotel in Tokyo was amazing. The service from the time we arrived in our cab was nothing but first class. They escorted us to the front desk where they called us by name and quickly registered us. At the entrance to the elevators, there were 3 young ladies, with white gloves, directing you to the next elevator. They would not let us even touch our luggage and we were escorted to a very nice remodeled room with all the extras. They had their worst snow storm in 23 years the next day and they were nice enough to provide umbrellas. You could not walk into their lobby without someone approaching you wanting to help. We stayed 3 nights and when we were ready to go to our Cruise Ship in Yokohama, we learned that due to the snow, transportation was limited. We called the Bell Captain and he made sure a cab was waiting for us at our requested time. When making reservations we had some problems navigating their web-site. Their New York office helped us through and enrolled us as a member and they were really helpful.

Geneva
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

I loved my stay in the Imperial Hotel. I had a room on the 26th floor in the Tower overlooking the train station. From the elevators you see the whole imperial gardens, very beautiful. Opposite the hotel is the oldest public garden in Japan and a short walk to the right you can visit the imperial gardens where you see the residence of the emperor of Japan.

The personnel in the hotel is quite amazing and totally goes out of their way to serve/help you. The bellhop brought me to the room, explained everything and as is custom in Japan absolutely refused any tip.

I had breakfast on the 17th floor (can't remember the name of the place anymore...reminded me of Viking though). They had both Western and Japanese food... I stuck to Japanese, which was very nice, while most Japanese went for the Western choice (world upside down ;). Careful, breakfast closes at 10 am.

My Japanese business partner recommended that I inquire about the Imperial Club, which I did and became a member of. It is free for foreigners and gives you access to the fitness and an upgrade when you come back. I haven't come back yet, so I don't know how this works. But since it is free.. hey: nothing to loose.

You should know that from the Airport there is a direct bus to the hotel (very convenient). I think it leaves every hour at .15... mine left at 11.15 am and takes approx. 90 minutes. Cost is 3 000 Yen one way but it is cheaper to take a return trip. In Terminal 2 arrival, you find the yellow bus counter (Airport Limousine) on your left.

Also, since roaming from home to Japan is very costly, I rented a mobile hotspot at the airport (arrival level). There are several providers... I got one that was a hotspot and a mobile phone at the same time giving me 75 Mb/s unlimited for roughly 1 200 yen/day. This was wonderfully convenient, as I was able to stay connected everywhere I went and I did all my calls via Skype.

For departure: if you want to take the bus from the hotel to the airport you need to reserve it early enough... I wanted to take the 8am bus but it was fully booked. I ended up going by taxi to the Air Transport Terminal and took a bus there. Cost was approx. 1500 Yen to the terminal and then around 2 000 Yen for the bus to the airport. Worked out fine in the end. The buses at the hotel leave approx every hour, except between 8 and 10, where there is a gap of 2 hours. The Air Transport Terminal ones leave every 15 minutes.

For food: under and next to the train tracks that are behind the hotel you have many small restaurants that serve excellent Japanese food. You can get there easiest from the Tower, if you take the lift to the lowest floor and then exit the revolving doors, walking up the steps and turning to your right. Tokyo is really safe, I had no problem walking in that area even at 11 pm.

Convenience shop: With the train tracks in front of you, if you turn to your left, approx. after 200 meters to your left in a little side street you have a Family Mart that is open late and where you can find drinks, foods and other necessities.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

The pluses - I've stayed at a lot of Japanese hotels but I found more people speak English here than any other hotel in Japan. The room is beautiful (we stayed at a Tower room) and we had a great view of the city lights. The bathroom was stylishly appointed. The bath towels were plush (unusual for a Japanese hotel.)

This hotel is located in front of a live theatre and we would see very polite color-coordinated fans light up outside to view their favorite actors every day. There's also a Starbucks within a block of the hotel toward the train station.

The minuses - it was a bit of a walk from the train station but the underground subway access was across the street.

Room Tip: Our Tower room faced the train tracks so we could hear the trains but it didn't prevent us from...
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

My general impression after many years of travel is that Asian hotels offer the best service - and while that is probably a sweeping generalization, the Imperial Hotel in Tokyo reinforced my perception. This is a large hotel but it doesn't feel impersonal. The staff are extraordinarily courteous, from front desk to housekeeping everyone was impeccably polite and always offered a greeting and a smile.
There are numerous eating options in the hotel. In fact if you decided to stay in you could probably go most of the week without having to revisit a restaurant. As you would also expect however the pricing is not for the faint-hearted. Nonetheless I enjoyed several excellent meals and several delicious single malt scotches .
The location is terrific. Sitting between the Imperial Palace gardens and the Ginza shopping area, there is plenty to see and do. There is an underground station nearby so getting anywhere in Tokyo is reasonably straight-forward. If you decide that the hotel prices are a little too over the top there are several streets in the immediate vicinity which offer a vast array of eating options. There are also plenty of bars although not all welcome foreigners. Pricing in these places is significantly less than in the hotel.
Overall I thoroughly recommend the Imperial if visiting Tokyo, although probably best if your on company expenses.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

Ideal location - near shops and restaurants in Ginza and Marounuchi. Within walking distance to Hibiya and Ginza subway stations, and the above ground JR station. Historic hotel with an old world grace and charm. Best of all is the service - absolutely consistent, always friendly and very efficient. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Ask for a garden view if you're a light sleeper. You can hear the trains passing every few minut...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Imperial Hotel Tokyo? Share your experiences!