“A Tokyo institution - Japanese hotel and rooms with excellent service and in a great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Imperial Hotel Tokyo

You added Imperial Hotel Tokyo to your Saves list
Imperial Hotel Tokyo
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1-1-1 Uchisaiwaicho, Chiyoda 100-8558, Tokyo Prefecture   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
*** Enjoy15% OFF ***
Ranked #6 of 63 Hotels / Ryokan in Chiyoda
4.5 of 5 stars 1,011 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

If you mention to your Japanese friend that you are staying at the Imperial Hotel or your function is at the Imperial Hotel, your friend would be in awe. The Imperial Hotel is one of the best Japanese hotels in Tokyo. It traces its history to the 1800s and its original facade was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. In many ways, it is the equivalent of the Raffles Hotel in Singapore. Steeped in history, and loved by the locals and foreigners. However, this hotel may not be for everyone.

My first contact upon arrival at the airport was the hotel rep/limo driver. But he was no where to be found. We called the hotel for clarification and soon after the limo driver arrived. We figured we must have zipped pretty quickly off the plane and caught the driver off-guard.

After about an hour's journey, we were dropped off at the main lobby. The bell staff took charge of our luggage immediately and we were ushered to reception. The lobby is large, grand, imposing and cavernous. There is a restaurant on the left and a large meet-and-greet area in the middle, and the long line of checkin, guest services counter on the right wall. Walking into the lobby, one feels transported back to the 1970s/80s. It has a dated look, and yet is a typical lobby style of many local modern hotels that we have stayed in. We noticed that the hotel had a good proportion of Japanese residents to tourists, mostly over 50 years of age.

The Front Office staff greeted us warmly, found our booking and quickly checked us in. After cooling our heels in the lobby for about 5 minutes, the bell hop took us upstairs to a room in the old wing [not the Tower block at the back].

The bell hop told us about the security doors on each floor, and identified the emergency exits. Unusual, but considering Japan's earthquake history, was quite a wise policy.

Our room had a simple, semi-modern look. Room cupboard and desk was made out of a semi-dark wood. The room was small in comparison to other modern international hotels in Japan. The king-sized bed was firm and very comfortable. Auto blinds and room lights function are on a console on the bed side table, which also houses the in-room safe. The room carpet is worn-in, but still feels soft and clean.

Rooms have a large bathroom with a separate shower and bath-tub. My wife loves the Japanese toilet at this hotel with its warm seat and bidet functions, complete with warm water. The usual assortment of bathing products, toothbrush, shaver, comb, shower cap, cotton buds, etc. can be found by the sink. Bring your own moisturiser as the hotel does not supply this. If you require cotton squares to remove your make-up, request for it through housekeeping. There is also no free bottled water.

Rooms have a flat screen TV and free WiFi. Consult the information cardboard next to the remote control to find out how to watch the cable stations.

Imperial houses a gym, spa and pool as well, and you can join an 'International membership' for free and gain access to these facilities.

Service is impeccable. The concierge is resourceful and there is a desk with 3 staff to meet your requirements. Finding a cab or your way to Hibiya metro station is a breeze. Imperial is also very close to the Imperial Palace which you can run a loop outside the grounds. The route is around 7-8km, not 5km as the concierge suggests. Ginza is within striking distance and you will find lots of food, department stores and brand name shops in this area. If you are adventurous with food, check out the restaurants below the train tracks.

I mentioned that the hotel may not be to everyone's tastes. If you like new modern five-star hotels with good sized rooms and amenities, this hotel is not for you. It is very Japanese in every aspect - particularly the hotel decor and service. It would be great to stay for the experience and more importantly, to impress your Japanese business associates.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on two separate occasions, two nights & one, at the beginning and end of our visit to Japan, and this review relates to rooms 990 & 1121, room 990 being a complimentary upgraded room.

Some may find the decor slightly old in appearance, but we found it to be charming in a traditional sort of way.

Check in and the service were faultless, likewise the cleanliness and amenities provided in the rooms, which were a very good size and the bathroom design excellent with superb water pressure.

Wi-fi was also available in the rooms.

I cannot comment on restaurant, bar or health facilities as we did not use these.

We found the location to be excellent with easy proximity to train connections, restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Bangkok
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Love the hotel for variety choice of breakfast both western and Japanese style.

Location is good next to JR train and subway station. Lot of restaurants around the hotel, it is also close to Ginza.

The room and service is also very nice.

There was an Oktoberfest in the park opposite the hotel, during my stay. It was fun,

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Imperial after a wonderful cruise and I was in awe of it. Firstly, it is massive in every way, I kept getting lost but around every corner there was something else to discover so I guess I was happily lost!! Our room was a deluxe room in the main building and was inclusive of breakfast, which could be taken either in room, or in anyone one of a number of the hotel restaurants, we ate in Saisons as it was the last to close for breakfast dining. The rooms are well appointed the bed was big and comfortable and the room was equipped with a flat screen TV, tea and coffee making facilities, the bathroom was just amazing, with a huge range of thoughtful complimentary accoutrements, and please don't get me started on the heated loo seats, inbuilt bidet or the privacy noises that it makes, I just wanted to take all of it home with me. We ate one meal at The Brasserie, which was lovely but excruciatingly expensive even by Western Australian standards and we found a great Sushi and Sashimi restaurant around the corner called Sushizamai which had great food at great prices and whilst we were the only Occidentals in the entire place, they couldn't have been more friendly and helpful. We loved Tokyo the people we met were welcoming, warm and friendly and on two occasions when I got completely lost strangers on the street took the time to guide us to our destination not just point in the general direction!! Wonderful place!!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

I stayed there on vacation for a week and found the staff and location to be top notch. The hotel is steps away from Ginza and Hibya park so you can shop, eat and exercise from this location. I recommend it!

• Stayed September 2013
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

You will not find a better hotel in Tokyo in terms of service. Sure the rooms and decor may be a little out of date and very Traditonal in the frank Lloyd right sort of way but all the aesthetics are forgiven with the staff who will do their utmost to ensure your stay is comfortable and you are not inconvenienced in any way. Example of customer service ? - the doorman greeted me from my taxi by my name!!! And no I have not stayed there that many times that they know me on first name basis. Naturally this freaked me out at first but after some thought I realised he read my name tag on my suitcase. Of course it made me feel special. Even when I asked for "hot chips" via room service and although it was not an item on the menu( from what I could see) the girl said she would arrange it for me. Ok.. I received " warm crisps" I figured it was lost in translation and should have used the American " fries"
Buffet breakfast in house a little expensive - but worth it. Alternatively walk across the road to the many cafés/ convenience stores where you can get juice , Danish and fruit for around 700yen.

• Stayed August 2013
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

My husband and I visit Tokyo every couple of months. It's like our second home away from Hong Kong. Each time we visit Tokyo, we try to stay in Peninsula Hotel Tokyo. This time in August, 2013, we booked very late, and was not able to get a room in Peninsula Tokyo. I decided to try the Imperial Hotel since its location is near the Peninsula, and it is nevertheless one of the most traditional, luxurious, and long historical hotel in Tokyo.

We booked a standard double room. We are glad we booked the MAIN building, and now the tower side. It would be a LONG walk if we were in the Tower. Main building is recommended.

Room size wasn't big. But, the layout of the bathroom was very smart and I love the shower (like in onsens) and bathtub design. The rooms are decorated luxuriously, bed is comfortable, newly renovated rooms, and there is privacy in every floor that you need to use your key card to open these glass doors that access to the hallway of your room. Ironic thing was, the hallways and rooms are quiet, but it was the Housekeeping staff that were SUPER noisy at 830am in the morning for two mornings in a row! I had to open my door to tell them to quiet down. That was NOT very typical of Japanese hotels' staff of this standard.

The lobby of the hotel is grand, and very "imperial". Check in was fast, professional, and staff of this hotel are very professional, speaks good English, and nothing but the top most courteous and polite manner that Japanese people always gives you. Plenty of elevators, always one waiting for us upon our arrival to the elevators to go up. Convenience store in the hotel, and many many restaurants in the hotel. However, we didn't go to any one of them as the location of the hotel is so good , with many dining options just few minutes walk away, and convenience stores on every block nearby the hotel, and near the metro and JR. We never needed to eat in the hotel or buy anything.

Airport limousine bus services this hotel from Narita and Haneda. Our bus took nearly 2 hours from Narita to get to the hotel due to slow traffic.

Prior to arriving, the guest relations desk helped me made all the reservations for michelin star restaurants that I have requested. The service is impeccable and impressive. Upon our arrival, the maps, confirmation letters, and details of our reservations were all printed out and ready in an envelope.

Special thanks to Ms Kana Kawasumi, of the guest relations desk. Nike Store in Harajuku/Omotoesando Hills made a mistake when we bought many things from there. My husband's shoes were given the wrong size. The cashier apparently made a mistake and put another size in our bag. So upon our arrival back to Imperial Hotel, we realized this and we didn't have time to go back to exchange as we were leaving the next afternoon. So, I thought of an idea and asked the guest relations at the Imperial Hotel to help us. Ms Kawasumi listened to my situation, and she called Nike store directly, and explained in Japanese, and asked Nike to bring back to the Imperial Hotel the right size so we didn't have to go all the way back to the store to exchange the size. We had to go out and couldn't wait for the outcome, so Ms Kawasumi wrote me an email informing me that the Nike Shoes would be delivered later in the day. They would put the shoes directly in our room upon its arrival. And while we went out that day, and I received later in the day an email from Ms. Kawasumi that the shoes have been delivered into our room and she checked it is the correct size. When we got back to our room, the shoes were indeed in the box and with a note from Ms Kawasumi.

Very impressive service! Only hotels of this standard would you get this kind of service, and their English level was so professional that we were able to solve this problem.

We loved our stay at the Imperial Hotel Tokyo, and next time we visit with our children, we will not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose Main Building.