“Excellent hotel in Tokyo” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shoryukan

You added Shoryukan to your Saves list
Shoryukan
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3-24-9 Kandaogawamachi, Chiyoda 101-0052, Tokyo Prefecture (Ochanomizu / Akihabara / Kanda)   |
Ranked #18 of 65 Hotels / Ryokan in Chiyoda
Madrid, Spain
“Excellent hotel in Tokyo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

The most valuable thing has been the excellent personnel of the hotel, looking forward everything is correct at any moment. Also it is very conveniently placed very close to several subway stations. Familiar atmosphere. Good Japanese breakfast. Cleanliness of all the installations and the room. Very good ratio price vs quality.

Room Tip: Ask for double bed instead of the smallest one.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Korean first
Tomamae-gun, Hokkaido, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Great stay at this hotel, fully recommend for pretty much any type of travel. Easily access both JR and Tokyo Metro lines. Great small Japanese-style breakfast. Very clean and modern rooms, and nice onsen.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Bangkok
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We chose to stay in this family run hotel since we had to take early morning train to Nagano for ski holidays in Hakuba. The hotel is on little quite street at the back of main road where you can find so many ski shops. Going to Tokyo station is less than 10 minutes and taxi cost around 1,100 yen. On first arrival day, we printed google map in Japanese for taxi driver which was helpful as hotel was quite hard to be located.

We stayed for 3 nights in a Japanese room. Our room was super clean with very comfy futons, though room size is small(which was what we expected anyway). Bathroom was quite modernized with fancy toilet (with all electronic buttons and seat warmer) similar to those provided in 5 star hotels.

Pros:
1)Room was super clean and well appointed
2)Basic Japanese breakfast with egg cooked the way we like provided good value considered the room rate
3)Staff (especially Tanaka-san) were generally very polite and have excellent service mind
4)The shared bathroom with onsen on B1 floor is a plus after tired walking day in Tokyo. But beware the temperature in lady room was rather hot-48 c. We ended up taking bath on this floor every day. Yukata was provided in the room.
5)Location is perfect for ski equipment shopping
6) So quite during weekend and holidays and walking around was nice
7) So many quick eat delicious Japanese restaurants/shops, AM/PM 7/11 around as it is in business location.
8)Hand soap foam, razors and tooth brushes are provided which was a nice touch giving the price
9) Walking distance to traditional old temple in Kanda near Ochanomizu station
10) Coined laundry facilities are available. +Access to ice machine(free), drink vending machine.
Cons
1) Hotel is not a smoking free one so ensure you will stay away from smoking rooms on the same floor, if any.
2)Room size is small

Overall we had a memorable stay and even more than we experienced at Shibuya Excel Tokyu Hotel that we stayed last time. We will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Choose and book room type from the hotel website.No need to provide credit card details upon booking...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I was traveling for a conference near this hotel. I decided that it would be interesting to stay in a Japanese style room and was looking for something relatively inexpensive, so the Shoryukan fit the bill. I got the slight larger sized room (though not the largest with a private bath) and it was quite comfortable. There is some noise that carries from neighboring rooms, but it doesn't seem to be the sort of hotel that's likely to attract noisy people. I had a view of a little park across the street.

The bath in the basement is quite nice. Only on my last night there when I went later than normal did I encounter more than one other person. It is large enough that it worked well even with 5-6 of us making use of the various facilities.

The staff were all nice and helpful. They were quite accommodating of the fact that I don't know any Japanese and were helpful in meeting my needs.

The breakfast is quite nice. It consists of coffee, water, a large bowl of rice, miso soup, an egg (done fried, scrambled, or as an omelet), some pickles, and a bowl that changed from day to day, but which typically might have some chicken, onions, and potatoes. It was all tasty and made a nice start to the day. There also seemed to be some other things for children, but I never puzzled out what they were.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

My daughter and I stayed for one week and it was a great little hotel. She chose the Japanese style room whilst I took the Western style, both were very clean and comfortable. Staff were very attentive and always helpful. Breakfast was simple Japanese, but a good and healthy start to the day. The jazz bar was a relaxing end to the day. It was very close to subway stations giving easy access to all of Tokyo. Just a note for guitar lovers it is about 5 minutes walk to 38 guitar stores virtually in the one street; overpowering! I would recommend this hotel to anyone, and thank all the staff for a great stay. The area around is not a tourist area but we did not go to Japan to meet tourists and many other areas are full of tourists.

Room Tip: Simple, if want tradition Japanese you sleep on the floor on a roll up futon, or you can chose the w...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

I decided to book here for two nights at the tail end of my Tokyo stay when my first hotel was no longer available. I choose the japanese style single (sleeping on a mattress on a tatami mat floor) just because I thought it would be an interesting experience. The room is incredibly well appointed. It was tiny, but managed to have room for a desk with low chair, TV, drawer and shelf space, mini-mini-fridge, teapot and private bath of course. I was totally comfortable, but I don't mind sitting on the floor. I slept very well with no aches. The room was on the second floor and was very quiet, even though the hotel appeared to have many guests (all japanese except me, I might add!). There are communal baths available, segregated by sex (basically very hot baths to soak in to relax). I didn't expect to be interested, but the room and bath looked so pleasant, I was enticed to go for a soak. They also served a simple buffet breakfast eggs, miso soup, rice, small salads, and coffee/tea which was included in the room price. It was delicious. All this is very authentically japanese and intimate- never do you feel like anything is orchestrated just for a commercial purpose. I also had the greatest experience with the front desk. Aside from them calling restaurants to make reservations for me and giving me directions, they went above and beyond to fulfill my quest to buy Yakatas (cotton japanese robes). I mentioned that I really liked the ones provided by the hotel and asked where I could find them. I told them I was short on time and if they had any to sell, I would even buy the one in my room, though previously used. Next time I went to the desk, there was a beautifully wrapped package of a brand new yakata and belt, identical to the one I'd been asking for. I was so delighted! I had seen many on my trip, but none I liked as much as the ones here. Unbelievable service from a bargain hotel. Location is also good. Several subway stops just 5 mins walk, if that, connecting you to multiple lines. Good restaurants in the neighborhood, too. I stumbled upon Subaya (Okanawa-ese cuisine) which was unusual, healthy, and delicious. Would definitely go back if traveling alone.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

We stayed 4 nights at hotel Shoryukan near Ochanomizu and loved every minute of our stay there. The staff speaks English and is very nice and helpful, the rooms are comfortable and clean, the Japanese breakfast in the in-house jazz club every morning was delicious and the sentō is perfect. The prices are very correct. Be warned that most of the customers of the hotel are locals and that the area is as non-touristic as you can get in Tokyo. Don't expect to find foreign food, newspapers or TV channels.

• Stayed September 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chiyoda
Hotel Niwa Tokyo
Sakura Hotel Jimbocho
Sakura Hotel Jimbocho
#28 of 65 in Chiyoda
4.0 of 5 stars 149 reviews

Been to Shoryukan? Share your experiences!