“Sushi Kiyomizu in Yugyoan Tankuma Kitamise, Tokyo Dome Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 1,035 Restaurants in Bunkyo
Cuisines: Sushi
Lyon, France
“Sushi Kiyomizu in Yugyoan Tankuma Kitamise, Tokyo Dome Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

The Japanese restaurant Yugyoan Tankuma Kitamise in the Tokyo Dome Hotel (next to the Giants Stadium) features individual tempura, teppan and sushi restaurants. All are high level but the one that stands out for me is the Kiyomizu sushi restaurant. Located on the 4th floor, Kiyomizu is very traditional which suits me, no fusion sushi served here but high quality traditional sushi with emphasis on nigiri. I would say the meal was close to perfect with the usual Japanese attention to detail. All six pieces of nigiri (three types of tuna, eel, shrimp and sea urchin) tasted wonderful, none requiring any soy sauce ('No sauce', my chef advised for the first three pieces after which he realised I got the message). Actually I knew that any way! Six pieces of maki, two pieces of salmon roe and some tomagoyaki followed. The meal was rounded off with miso soup and some delicious vanilla ice cream. If you are in the Tokyo Dome area, I highly recommend you visit Kiyomizu. As the restaurant was getting less busy towards the end of my meal, I started a hand waving type of discussion with my chef concerning knives. He seemed genuinely pleased I knew a little about them and started showing me the restaurant collection (about 15), laid out in a cabinet on white cloth and each in a wooden sheath. An interesting end to a fine evening.

• Visited May 2013