“My best experience in Peru” 5 of 5 stars

Hosteria & Spa Tradicion Colca
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. Colca 119 | Yanque, Yanque 0000, Peru   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Yanque
Zurich, Switzerland
“My best experience in Peru”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

I spent one month in Peru and my experience in Colca was the best especially thanks to Tradicion Colca. I stayed in the hotel a few days (very confortable, clean and good service inclusive sauna and jacuzzi) and I did a 4 days horseback riding trip with the very good guide Julie. It was great and my horse was really nice and well trained. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Lima
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2011

I had a great time in this hotel. I wanted to visit the Colca Canyon, take pictures and do some trekking, I did all this things and the hotel also give me the opportunity to relax because massages, sauna, and jacussi were included in the price. I am looking foward to comeback.

Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Arequipa, Peru
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

I booked my trip to the Colca Valley directly with the owner of Tradicion Colca and was very pleased. Pick up in Arequipa was reasonably prompt, the ride was comfortable, and the guide's English was pretty good. The hotel, located in Yanque village, is off the main road down the canyon so there is a little more road noise than I would have liked, but Colca Valley is still a pretty sleepy place so that was not too bad. Guides provided by the hotel on my trip to Uyo uyo and Coparaque were very pleasant, kept a good pace, and were well informed. Food at the hotel was a little pricey, but very good (especially the alpaca) and coming home from an afternoon of treking to find HOT showers, a sauna, whirlpools, AND a very reasonably priced massage/spa services was nearly decadent. Beuatiful scenery and a great place to stay!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Long Island NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2010

We choose this hotel because we wanted a separate sleeping area for the kids and this was one of the few hotels in the area with that. The kids had a loft with 2 beds and loved it. Nice place, clean, good food. The only drawback is that it is a bit out of town. Not a big issue because the food at the hotel was great.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
bordeaux
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2008

We are very satisfied of this hotel. We went to this place in a tour in the colca. We have no regret. It is very comfortable, very clean. It is a hotel with character, with a typical Peruvian architecture.
The staff is very good, attentive. And the sauna and the jacuzzi are very pleasant.
Be sure you will enjoy your stay.

• Liked — Staff, place
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Burford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2008

When I arrived, the first thing the staff did was crowd around me and repeatedly insist on seeing my passport so they wouldn't have to pay tax on me, which I didn't have as I was only staying overnight on a tour and was back in my hotel in Arequipa for security.

The hotel was almost 100% full of French visitors, and the (French) female owner insisted on trying to speak to me in French not Spanish, which I found rude.

I waited half an hour for the guided afternoon walk while other guests had an after-lunch coffee. The Peruvian guide was friendly and very patient.

Over both dinner and breakfast at 6am I was hassled to fill in forms (including feedback!).Staff hovered but were nowhereot be found when needed and, as previous reviews, the food was average.

Booking a massage, the male receptionist couldn't believe I might want to pay for it with a 100 Soles note and was condecending. I waited 15 mins for my massage, which was then carried out by a guy serving food in reception who, as far as I could tell, didn't wash his hands.

The rooms are nicely decorated with portable gas heaters and wool blankets.

Overall I can't recommend Tradicion as it promotes itself as an oasis of relaxation, but I found myself being wound up and irritated at almost every turn.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Cincinnati, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2008

Was given a room here as part of a Colca Canyon Tour by colca trek.com.pe Hotel is not located near Chivay so there's nothing to do here except board games provided by the hotel. No central heat in rooms. Was given 3 blankets to keep warm. Spa was under repair, did not look like it would be working anytime soon. Breakfast was the best part. If you want food you either have to eat at their cafe or take a taxi to Chivay. No internet, must taxi to Chivay. No way to call taxi; must walk 10 minutes in shaddy south america town to get to nearest plaza which may or may not have taxi. Don't stay here unless you want to be isolated.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hosteria & Spa Tradicion Colca? Share your experiences!