I have been visiting the Balbirnie House Hotel many times for lunch at the Bistro , which is very nice . Generally through the week. We had decided to stay over while planned to eat at the Orangery . I will write a review separately as it was excellent .
However , we arrived at 3ish , right in the middle of a wedding . We had to walk through the guests having pictures taken at the steps and also the guests around the reception .
We checked in the rooms and then went down to have a drink in the lounge , only to be told that there was no lounge available as the wedding was in one area and the other two were booked for private parties . After asking to see the manager , we were advised the drawing room had been made available as the party that had it reserved had finished . We were then walked through the wedding venue to get to the drawing room . Our young teenage kids refused to walk through the wedding party and went back to their room .
The waitress 's brought our drinks through the wedding party area , leaving door open to the band and wedding area . In all a bit embarrassing . Wedding guests definitely looked at us , as we were causal dressed . I did find a back route to the drawing room and kids joined to have late lunch , why did we not get taken there to start with ?
Both rooms we had were nice , but there is a really bad damp smell , in the corridors . Because of the hotel focus on the wedding it really felt we were in the way . The music to late on at night , and guests going to the room , make this hotel a place to miss at the weekend , if there is a wedding on . To note breakfast in bed , was first class , and service overall was very attentive .
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Balbirnie House is a quite unique multi-award winning country house hotel which combines understated luxury with superb service and outstanding value. Widely acknowledged as one of the finest of the privately owned small luxury hotels in Scotland, Balbirnie offers a wonderful experience, whatever the occasion of your visit. Fine food, lovely surroundings and above all a real sense of friendly Scottish hospitality combine to create quite a unique setting for today’s house guests to enjoy. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline and TripOnline SA so you can book your Balbirnie House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Balbirnie House Hotel Markinch
- Balbirnie House Markinch, Scotland