“What a beautiful place!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Laguna Mar

Save Saved
You added Hotel Laguna Mar to your Saves list
Hotel Laguna Mar
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Between Coyote and Playa San Miguel | Front of the School Javilla, Playa San Miguel 5301-48, Costa Rica   |
Special Price
50% off room rate
Kelowna, Canada
“What a beautiful place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Wow I really enjoyed this place, especially after the horrible hotel I just stayed at before arriving to this little gem of a hotel.
It's off the beaten path so it caught us off guard, but it was worth the drive! If you want to relax and be pampered, then this is the spot for you. Clean, posh, great service, amazing rooms, amazing restaurant and secure. I loved waking up to the monkeys and birds in the morning. Great beaches around too so go out and explore!
The owner of the place, Drew, was very helpful with lots of tips and ideas about the area and he was very inviting and friendly. We could tell that he just loves Costa Rica with all of his knowledge. Anjelica was so sweet and helpful and so was Michael. Great job everyone!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Beautiful place, nice design for a small hotel. Excellent service!!! The staff provide us outstanding services. Very clean! I recommend it!!! Good quality, fair price! I visited playa Coyote and i enjoyed my stay! Social area of hotel laguna mar is beautiful, a pool, a jacuzzi, modern design.

• Stayed February 2013
Coconut Creek, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I usually don't take the time to write reviews about my travel experiences however this hotel is an exception. All I could say was "WOW" when I walked up to this beautiful hotel from the entry way! We were greeted immediately by the staff with a couple of refreshing cocktails!
During our stay, the service was impeccable! Kudos to Michael! One of the staff members at the hotel! He was right on top of everything. Very eager to please.
Michael helped set us up with a fishing trip on my Birthday. When we returned to the Hotel with freshly caught fish, Michael immediately called the chef to come in, clean the fish and make a special Birthday dinner for me. The chef came and introduced himself to us and asked if I had any special requests for preparation of the fish. I asked for a Ceviche appetizer and Chefs choice for dinner. He did exactly as requested. He made an incredible Ceviche and fish dinner! I was very impressed!
The hotel had a booking for a large party that evening so, Michael set up tables and candles on the balcony of the top floor suite so that we could dine in private. Again! Service! Service! Service!
I'd also like to mention that they have thought of everything when it comes to creature comforts in the rooms. Ipod docking station, nice flat screen TV, good lighting in the bathroom (which is very important for us ladies), hanging wracks and mirror in the shower, additional pull out vanity mirror in the bathroom. What else can I say. I just recall saying to my man. "Wow" they have thought of everything.
They are doing it right here! Do yourself a favor and stay here if you are visiting this area of Costa Rica! You WILL NOT be disappointed.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
los angeles, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here only one night but wow! Great room, staff is really nice and helpful, food was great. Hotel is in a really nice location, easy to get to, great for exploring the area and day trips, comfy beds too! We'd been a moto trip and it was nice to stay here and chill. Definitely want to stay here again!!

• Stayed January 2013
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Well, what can I say that hasn't already been said about this place. I live in NYC and when i go on vacation i want to be in the middle of no where, but am spoiled at the same time so I want some of the amenities that we have grown accustomed to. Laguna Mar, Angelica, Pablo, Drew and the rest of the gang could not have been more accommodating, pleasant and welcoming. Every day was an adventure for my wife and I, but at the same time relaxing when ever we wanted it to be. We love having little adventures and relaxing afterwards (fishing, golfing, kayaking, zip lining, etc...), and this was the perfect place. We cant wait to get back there with friends.

My favorite part of the trip was the estuary. You can get to this place in about 5mins driving or walking 15-20 mins from the hotel. PARADISE. At high tide the estuary would fill up with sea water and would be about a 6 foot deep private pool for us surrounded by nothing but groves, white cranes and wildlife. The edges of the pool were walls of sand, so you could literally dive into the pool of water. AMAZING. during low tide you can walk out into ankle deep water and discover all the wildlife and adventure the ocean brought in that day. I could be there forever.

Room Tip: You cant beat the price of the rooms
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Just returned from my first trip to Costa Rica and had a blast! Flew into San Jose, and then drove to Laguna Mar hotel. Was welcomed by a very kind staff (offering us drinks - thank you!). The hotel took my breath away - it was beautiful. Had dinner there most nights, and was introduced to Pablo, the EXCELLENT chef. I highly recommend eating there even if you aren't staying at the hotel. (Alberto, one of the bartenders, makes great sangria!). The rooms were very clean, and very reasonably priced. We were close to the beach, and the staff also set us up with other fun things to do in the area (like Mike's Butterfly Farm). The owner, Drew, was a phenomenal host. It is the perfect place to go for a relaxing, beautiful vacation in the real Costa Rica.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Kensington, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

If you're looking to experience the beauty of Costa Rica's western coast and its magnificent beaches, book a room at Hotel Laguna Mar in Javilla, Costa Rica. I stayed there during the first week of December (2012) and it was one of the best vacations I've ever had!

Located in remote Guanacaste, the hotel provides a convenient ‘home base’ to explore nearby beaches. You’ll want to visit several of them for different experiences. One beach may offer gentle waves in a sheltered cove. Another will have interesting rock formations and the kind of waves surfers dream about. The one thing they all have in common however is that they’re undoubtedly some of the most beautiful, expansive and pristine beaches you’ll ever see.

Getting to Hotel Laguna Mar is easier than it seems. Simply book a flight on Nature Air from San Juan to Punta Islita. This can be done online. Once there, it’s about a 45 minute drive to the small town of Javilla. Drew, the owner of Hotel Laguna Mar, or his assistant Anjelica can help you make arrangements to get there. My recommendation would be to rent a car (4 wheel drive is a must on the dirt roads) so you can explore beaches and towns at your leisure.

In fact, once you book with Hotel Laguna Mar, the proprieter will send you several pages of information to help plan your stay. For instance, he gave us arrival tips for the San Juan Airport, provided currency conversion information, recommended beaches to explore, and offered to arrange many types of excursions including a turtle nesting tour, a horseback tour, surf lessons, a waterfall tour and kayaking. Seeing the stunning sunset while on horseback was unforgettable, as was helping endangered baby sea turtles make their way to the surf after sunset.

The hotel itself is a modern luxury in a beautiful and remote setting. Glancing around the open air lobby, you’re surrounded by mountains, farms and jungle Rooms are large, extremely clean, and nicely furnished. (With hot, hot, showers!) And the atrium pool is perfect for cooling off after a walk home from the beach or stargazing in the evenings. Get a drink, stick your feet in the water and chat with your friends before heading ten feet over to the restaurant for dinner.

Dining at the hotel holds unexpected pleasures. Chef Pablo trained in Denmark and Italy and has a flare for showcasing Costa Rican cuisine with his high end culinary talents. He’s also a delight to chat with as he makes the rounds to describe his daily specials. I consider myself a ‘foodie’ (having eaten my way through Manhattan and DC) and would definitely rate Chef Pablo’s meals as four and five star.

After a week at the hotel, I felt relaxed and rejuvenated, as if I had been away at a spa. I got into the Costa Rican groove ( Pura Vida) and away from the hustle and bustle of my normal routine. I'd go back in a heart beat.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Laguna Mar? Share your experiences!