“Hotel Laguna Mar - Incredible stay, Amazing staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Laguna Mar

Save Saved
You added Hotel Laguna Mar to your Saves list
Hotel Laguna Mar
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Between Coyote and Playa San Miguel | Front of the School Javilla, Playa San Miguel 5301-48, Costa Rica   |
Special Price
50% off room rate
New York, New York, United States
“Hotel Laguna Mar - Incredible stay, Amazing staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My husband and I were introduced to Hotel Laguna Mar as we were searching for a honeymoon spot near the beach, with equal parts adventure and relaxation. We have wanted to go to Costa Rica for some and were thrilled when we started to learn more about the south-west / Pacific side of Nicoya Peninsula and we were introduced to Hotel Laguna Mar. We did not want to be in the middle of Tourist Central, and we loved the idea that this spot was near to adventure (surfing, fishing, ziplining, golf, hikes, etc) but even closer to relaxation (Playa Coyote, Costa de Oro, Playa San Miguel, Playa Islita). When we arrived, Drew and Angelica met us with open arms and a drink ready. We immediately fell in love with our room and the full staff at the hotel. Since we got there late, we decided to grab a bit in the hotel restaurant and we ate almost every meal there the entire week. Pablo (Chef) was top-notch...trained in Europe and adding the little extra that we didn't expect being in such a tiny wonderful coastal town. From our first day, Hotel Laguna Mar was our wonderful oasis to come home to, relax in the pool or hottub and enjoy an amazing meal at even more amazing/reasonable prices. This place is truly a gem. We woke up to howler monkeys and parrots outside our windows, and fell asleep to crickets and stars. Each day, Pablo or Angelica helped offer suggestions for what we had in mind - fishing with a local fisherman and purchasing our lobsters directly off the boat from the lobsterdiver, golf, zip lining, directions to the beautiful and most serene beaches I've ever walked. The estuary was 100% ours for the time we were there - at high tide it will be your own private saltwater swimming pool and was absolutely magnificent.

In all, I can't express how incredible the hotel and staff made us feel on our honeymoon. We can't wait to visit again. Thanks Drew, Angelica, Pablo, Micheal and Alvero! We love you guys!

Room Tip: The hotel has 9 rooms and we stayed in the penthouse. Each had plenty of room, a hot shower and a co...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Drew C, Manager at Hotel Laguna Mar, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Thank you for your review! We really enjoyed having you stay with us at Laguna Mar!

From all of us at Laguna Mar,
"Happy Holidays"

Drew

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Kiev, Ukraine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

We came to Costa Rica in low season and desided to stay on playa San Miguel without any previous booking. When we came there all hotels listed in our guide book were closed without any sign of life. Luckily we stopped at local store and they have directed us to Laguna Mar.
The hotel is brand new and greatly disigned for comfortable stay. They have only 9 rooms and as it was low season we were only guests. Stuff was so frindly and welcoming that we never met before. Onsite restarant serves great food we reasonable rates and considering low season room rate is just a steal - 60 USD per room.
They also offer bunch of local tour to get deeper into community life. There are three great grey beaches nearby with waves good for surfing but it is better to have a car to explore them.

• Stayed November 2012
Carlsbad, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Everything about this place is Five-STAR! I first heard of this Hotel which is only @ 1 year old now, from friends/family and and via the website. This place is even better in person than it shows on the web. The rooms are extremely clean and very well appointed with all the luxuries and comfortable beds you would expect to find in a typical 5-star resort. I originally booked 2 nights here and liked so much I extended my stay to 5 nights. The Owner (Drew) is wonderful and his entire staff from the Manager Micheal, to the cooks and bartenders were extremely accommodating. I could not have asked for better service! Every night there was a very fun mix of locals, travelers and ex-pats to converse with at the bar and pool. This area (Playa San Miguel - Coyote - Costa del Oro) is one of the most beautiful beach areas of Costa Rica and Laguna Mar is perfectly situated with great views and easy access to surrounding attractions. I am already planning my next trip and plan to stay longer.

Room Tip: I stayed in ground floor and top floor rooms, and both were great!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Waynesboro, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I was referred to Hotel Laguna Mar from a friend of a friend and had spent two weeks there in June. The rooms were spotless and very thoughtfully planned. The staff was extremely friendly and the owner was very attentive to all my needs. It was a short walk to a beautiful beach, maybe half a mile. The only thing that could make this hotel any better is if it had a spa and a gym. Overall, I think this is an excellent hotel in a beautiful part of Costa Rica and I look forward to visiting again in the future. This is a great place to get away from it all and relax in a tropical environment.

Room Tip: This is the tropics. I found it helpful to bring earplugs as there are donkey, rooster, frogs, and m...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I had such a wonderful and relaxing stay at Hotel Laguna Mar. The hotel is chic and new while surround by Costa Rica's natural beauty.The rooms were incredibly clean and the staff was exceptionally nice. The owner even gave us rides to all of the sights we wanted to see. The bar was fun to hang out at, the pool was the right temperature, and the food was delicious! Not far from the hotel is a beautiful secluded beach that had the most breathtaking sunsets. I also got to see monkeys and iguanas near the hotel. I felt that the staff went above and beyond for me and my friend and I would totally recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Anaheim Hills, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

On a tip from a friend who lives in Playa San Miguel, I booked a stay at this property on my most recent trip to Costa Rica. This is a boutique hotel with bed and breakfast hospitality and smart sophistication. The property is new and all rooms are done in a clean, minimalist stye. They are nicely appointed including wi-fi, flat screen tv's, individual air conditioning, amazing papaya toiletries and free snacks.

You will be greeted by the staff, who will prepare a refreshing welcome drink and provide a tour of the property. The hotel is a great source of information on local activities; whether it's an afternoon kayaking, horseback riding, zip lining or at the butterfly farm. If you prefer to relax, sit by the pool and enjoy the excellent food and service from their poolside restaurant and bar.

Playa San Miguel is a hidden gem on the Costa Rican coast just south of Samara. Please don't forget to stop here for a few nights to experience Costa Rican hospitality at it's best!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We drove down from Samara for a weekend trip and stayed at Laguna Mar. What a fabulous place it was. The owner and staff went out of their way for us and made us feel super special. Very nice rooms and lovely pool and dining area. The food was superb! This was worth the rocky road trip and I totally recommend to go visit. I love to find these hidden treasures in Costa Rica!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Laguna Mar? Share your experiences!