“Little paradise on pasific coast” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Laguna Mar

You added Hotel Laguna Mar to your Saves list
Hotel Laguna Mar
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Between Coyote and Playa San Miguel | Front of the School Javilla, Playa San Miguel 5301-48, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
$65 (USD)
Kiev, Ukraine
“Little paradise on pasific coast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

We came to Costa Rica in low season and desided to stay on playa San Miguel without any previous booking. When we came there all hotels listed in our guide book were closed without any sign of life. Luckily we stopped at local store and they have directed us to Laguna Mar.
The hotel is brand new and greatly disigned for comfortable stay. They have only 9 rooms and as it was low season we were only guests. Stuff was so frindly and welcoming that we never met before. Onsite restarant serves great food we reasonable rates and considering low season room rate is just a steal - 60 USD per room.
They also offer bunch of local tour to get deeper into community life. There are three great grey beaches nearby with waves good for surfing but it is better to have a car to explore them.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Carlsbad, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Everything about this place is Five-STAR! I first heard of this Hotel which is only @ 1 year old now, from friends/family and and via the website. This place is even better in person than it shows on the web. The rooms are extremely clean and very well appointed with all the luxuries and comfortable beds you would expect to find in a typical 5-star resort. I originally booked 2 nights here and liked so much I extended my stay to 5 nights. The Owner (Drew) is wonderful and his entire staff from the Manager Micheal, to the cooks and bartenders were extremely accommodating. I could not have asked for better service! Every night there was a very fun mix of locals, travelers and ex-pats to converse with at the bar and pool. This area (Playa San Miguel - Coyote - Costa del Oro) is one of the most beautiful beach areas of Costa Rica and Laguna Mar is perfectly situated with great views and easy access to surrounding attractions. I am already planning my next trip and plan to stay longer.

Room Tip: I stayed in ground floor and top floor rooms, and both were great!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Waynesboro, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I was referred to Hotel Laguna Mar from a friend of a friend and had spent two weeks there in June. The rooms were spotless and very thoughtfully planned. The staff was extremely friendly and the owner was very attentive to all my needs. It was a short walk to a beautiful beach, maybe half a mile. The only thing that could make this hotel any better is if it had a spa and a gym. Overall, I think this is an excellent hotel in a beautiful part of Costa Rica and I look forward to visiting again in the future. This is a great place to get away from it all and relax in a tropical environment.

Room Tip: This is the tropics. I found it helpful to bring earplugs as there are donkey, rooster, frogs, and m...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I had such a wonderful and relaxing stay at Hotel Laguna Mar. The hotel is chic and new while surround by Costa Rica's natural beauty.The rooms were incredibly clean and the staff was exceptionally nice. The owner even gave us rides to all of the sights we wanted to see. The bar was fun to hang out at, the pool was the right temperature, and the food was delicious! Not far from the hotel is a beautiful secluded beach that had the most breathtaking sunsets. I also got to see monkeys and iguanas near the hotel. I felt that the staff went above and beyond for me and my friend and I would totally recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Anaheim Hills, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

On a tip from a friend who lives in Playa San Miguel, I booked a stay at this property on my most recent trip to Costa Rica. This is a boutique hotel with bed and breakfast hospitality and smart sophistication. The property is new and all rooms are done in a clean, minimalist stye. They are nicely appointed including wi-fi, flat screen tv's, individual air conditioning, amazing papaya toiletries and free snacks.

You will be greeted by the staff, who will prepare a refreshing welcome drink and provide a tour of the property. The hotel is a great source of information on local activities; whether it's an afternoon kayaking, horseback riding, zip lining or at the butterfly farm. If you prefer to relax, sit by the pool and enjoy the excellent food and service from their poolside restaurant and bar.

Playa San Miguel is a hidden gem on the Costa Rican coast just south of Samara. Please don't forget to stop here for a few nights to experience Costa Rican hospitality at it's best!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We drove down from Samara for a weekend trip and stayed at Laguna Mar. What a fabulous place it was. The owner and staff went out of their way for us and made us feel super special. Very nice rooms and lovely pool and dining area. The food was superb! This was worth the rocky road trip and I totally recommend to go visit. I love to find these hidden treasures in Costa Rica!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

This year I just wanted to relax and unwind on my vacation and I got just that! My five night stay (Aug. 31- Sept. 5th) at Hotel Laguna Mar fit the bill exceptionally!
While the ride from the airport in San Jose is about a three hour ride, PLEASE do not let that deter you! I can't begin to describe how attentive the staff is--from the owner, Drew, the manager, Michael, right on down to those who clean your room...simply FABULOUS! My group (mix of family and friends; all women) was greeted with cocktails upon our arrival! Now THAT is how you end a 3 hour commute!
Every step of the way Drew, Michael and the staff were so thoughtful and attentive, it was truly beyond words. For example, I was in Room 4 on the lower level near the jacuzzi. There was a really bright light outside my room. I never had to utter a word about it before going to bed because Michael was there each night making sure it was out and checking to be sure that each of us was ok. I don't think he sleeps much! He is truly sweetheart and reliable young man!
The rooms are SUPER clean (for pics see my sister's review Lakesha A) and the decor is modern. I absolutely ADORED the bathroom; specifically that shower! OMG, what an incredible amount of space! If you're travelling with your significant other, you'll enjoy it ;-) Especially that box of "treats" in the room for couples ;-) I'm telling you Drew thinks of EVERYTHING to make your stay enjoyable!! LOL

The food is fantastic. The chef, Paulo is gifted and it's obvious that he is passionate about his craft. One night he even prepared a special item that was not the menu! Dinner each night was beyond words and his SANGRIA!!! WOW!!! Be sure to have Paulo make you a pitcher OR TWO OR THREE LOL

If you're interested in activities away from the hotel, Drew gives great guidance and insight on what is available. He knows all about the best spots to go for food and drink, a change of atmosphere or where to go if you're the outdoorsy type, too. By the way, don't fret about there not being a spa on site (give that some time, too; Drew's got some BIG plans in mind) but he will gladly make arrangements for someone to come to the hotel. JUST ASK!

The hotel is also patronized by locals from the town and nearby areas so it gives it a homey feel which is wonderful. In truth, you get the best of both worlds. A comfy homey feel while lounging in this sexy chic boutique hotel.

You gotta check this place out--you WILL NOT be disappointed! Thanks again Drew for giving me an INCREDIBLE vacation!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Laguna Mar? Share your experiences!