“The Espresso Bar.....A Must” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rhodeside Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Playa San Miguel
Rhodeside Bed and Breakfast
Save Saved
You added Rhodeside Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Playa San Miguel 48-5301, Costa Rica   |
Portland, Oregon
“The Espresso Bar.....A Must”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

While staying in the area of Playa De Coyote near the town of San Francisco, my husband and I were told about this wonderful espresso bar in Pueblo Nuevo. The Rhodeside Bed and Breakfast and Espresso Bar was not near by, so we were not sure we wanted to make the drive for a cup of coffee, but we are so glad we did. The coffee was unbelievable and the baked goods, "out of this world!" Gwen is truly a master at baking and brewing an amazing espresso. We enjoyed a fresh Coconut Cake and it was gluten free. I am not a big fan of gluten free baking, but Gwen has made a believer out of me. The cake was fluffy, moist and full of flavor, not heavy, tasteless and gritty textured like a lot of gluten free option! We also loved the cinnamon buns and grilled cheese sandwiches. I could go on and on about how wonderful the coffee was too, but I know you get the picture. Ed and Gwen were so friendly and took the time to sit down and chat for a while as well. THIS IS A MUST NOT MISS!!! The setting is beautiful, the food and coffee amazing and Ed and Gwen are the perfect hosts. We will definitely return!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
lamisolegran, Owner at Rhodeside Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thanks so much for the great recommendation Amy and John! So fun getting to know you abit and do hope to see you again next time you visit the area!

59 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Playa San MIguel, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

its occurred to me i have not reviewed this place, even though i have visited dozens of times.....im not a big coffee drinker, but when i do, i come here.....part of it is the obvious care in selecting only the best coffees prepared in only the best machines available in the country.....still, most of the pleasure derived is from the company kept while relaxing there......my fiance and gwen retire to the kitchen to talk about baking....the things that come out of gwens oven are rich and tasty and second to none (sorry mom).....while they do their thing, im left to have deep meaningful and hysterical conversations with edmund, the resident lunatic fringe libertarian....its always a real treat, as edmund's well read perspective on the world is as unique as it comes.......lately some wonderful improvements have come about, with a new kitchen, new dining area, and a new pool added to the already idyllic setting.....gwen and ed and their business are truly an asset to this area....i say this as a client, a neighbor, a friend, AND a competitor.....kudos to this unique couple and their unique place.....pura vida

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
lamisolegran, Owner at Rhodeside Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Your candid, friendly review was a nice surprise the other morning. Thanks!
Schaffhausen, Schaffhausen, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

I stayed in the area for some days and came here everyday to have breakfast. You will get the best espresso in Guanacaste and they serve you daily something else, most of it homemade and very tasty. Nice and friendly people. Do not pass by. You will not regret to have stopped at this place.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
lamisolegran, Owner at Rhodeside Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
Truly delightful to get to know you the last 10 days. We are looking forward to meeting your wife on your next round of visits to our area. See you soon!!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012 via mobile

This was the coolest adventure, flying in to the little airport where they picked us up and took us to their little piece of paradise. We stayed for four days lounging in the hamock, making fresh seafood dinners, goin to the remote beaches, surfing, fishing, swimming in the super refreshing pool...it was awesome.
Have a car so you can get around, buy your food or take off up to Samara for a delicious dinner on the beach. Use the kitchen to make lunch and head out for the beach or something Gwyen and Edmond help you set up. They know the area so can help set up the outings. And the patio area looking out over the forest to the ocean it a great place to spend hours visiting, eating, and hanging out.
We had a great time and definately recommend it.

• Stayed April 2012
Dear Alex
Thanks for the wonderful review. We sure were glad we were able to help you pick up a car so you could better acquaint yourselves with the area surrounding our little piece of paradise. Do come back again it would be great to see you again.
Ciao,
Gwen and Edmund
Spring City, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

I had a wonderful time at Rhodeside B&B. It was so much more than I expected: the beautiful surroundings, the very refreshing pool, the incredible kindness and friendliness of the owners, the spacious cabins, a lovely terrace overlooking the land, and the amazing coffee, made it that more special!
Gwen makes the most amazing food! Especially sticky buns! She is so kind and is always there if something is needed. Very generous and thoughtful.
I really liked how I was in this beautiful place and able to connect with nature. The hammocks were so comfy I sat in them for hours, listening to the chirps of the birds and insects. I saw so many creatures that I had never seen before! Geckos, colorful butterflies, awesome looking birds with strange names, and more. I have to say that out of all the things there, I loved the coffee the most. It was filled with flavor and just hit the spot.
Everywhere I looked was filled with color! The mountains, the trees, the magnificent flowers, the animals, and the colorful houses. I spent hours watching the horses and even had the chance ride twice. Very cool experience!
I loved being surrounded by the 'wild'. Thats what makes this place so awesome and a must see. It isn't luxurious, but has everything you need. If you want to have a quiet, beautiful place to stay, I would definitely recommend Rhodeside.
Part of the experience for me was to see nature and all the little creatures, not to be in some highfalutin hotel or condo. Rhodeside Bed and Breakfast is sophisticated but simple. The perfect combination of the outdoors and all the comforts we are used to.
I know I haven't said all I wanted to, but this will have to do.
Thank you so much for the lovely stay Gwen and Ed!
Hannah

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
lamisolegran, Owner at Rhodeside Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
Thank you so much for the very thoughtful and sweet review Hannah. We would love for you to come back again some time to enjoy the peaceful setting and relax.
West Linn, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

On our way from Punta Coyote to Samara, we saw signs for Cappucino and Lattes...we had to stop, just out of curiosity! Ed and Gwen were wonderful host, making good iced lattes, fruit smoothies and advice on what to see and do. Now we are off to some of the adventures they recommended!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
lamisolegran, Owner at Rhodeside Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Thanks for this nice review. We had a nice time visiting with you here at Rhodeside and heard you had a great time at the Jungle Butterfly Farm! Terrific!
Durango, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

I'm re-reading the reviews for the Rhodeside after our stay and, frankly, scratching my head...We read the reviews before our stay and thought it would be a great choice for us. We took the whole place, as we were a party of 8, two families traveling together. We were in the Eliza cabin, the Ashley cabin and one of the lower cabins, all which have ample space. Gwen and Edmund were not there. Two very lovely young women were, but that meant that we could not tap into the experience base of the owners. It is a beautiful area, and as others have noted, not on the beach. A short drive will get you to town, restaurants, and Playa San Miguel. Breakfast was great and in a very pretty setting. Plenty of coffee and lots of variety. Internet was available at the breakfast area. The hosts even put out an Easter egg hunt for the kids...a very nice touch and much appreciated. One of our party was sick and they took time to check on her and give her something to eat and drink, while we took the kids to the beach. The pool, while not large, was quite deep and got the kids' energy out. This was not my first trip to Costa Rica, and I know this is a very remote area. While I did not expect luxury, I did expect the facilities to be clean and serviced daily. There were old cob webs in the bathroom, lots of mouse droppings on the ledges on the interior of the cabins, mouse droppings on the exterior ledges of the cabins, as well as outside the cabins on the chairs and paths. The kitchen area exhibited the same issues. We stayed two nights and the rooms were not serviced. There is no air-conditioning, only fans, which was okay - just be aware. A good breakfast, kind hosts, and a fabulous view does not make up for the lack of cleanliness. Sadly, I can not recommend staying here...

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
lamisolegran, Owner at Rhodeside Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, April 22, 2012
I was very sad to read your review of Rhodeside this morning. We were so sorry not to be there for your visit to Rhodeside. I felt we were leaving you in the competent hands of our assistants. It does say on our website that we do cleaning daily, however, historically the feed back we have been given says that daily cleaning is unnecessary and interrupts the guest privacy up at the cabins. So We went to cleaning the cabins on the third day along with changing towels and sheets that day. I am sorry you were disappointed.
The mouse droppings you spoke of are NOT mouse droppings but Bat droppings that happen every night. We do provide a broom to each cabin. We had the rooms cleaned before you came and I am sorry I was not there to personally check the cleanilness before you arrive. I am trying to figure out how to be able to get away when necessary and have my guests be happy when they leave.
Thank you for your time and input. It always helps to improve our service to know what customers are thinking.
Respectfully,
Gwen Rhodes

Been to Rhodeside Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!