“The best little getaway stay with great people, fresh real coffee, and the best atmosphere to relax and enjoy Costa Rica” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rhodeside Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Playa San Miguel
Rhodeside Bed and Breakfast
Playa San Miguel 48-5301, Costa Rica   |
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012 via mobile

This was the coolest adventure, flying in to the little airport where they picked us up and took us to their little piece of paradise. We stayed for four days lounging in the hamock, making fresh seafood dinners, goin to the remote beaches, surfing, fishing, swimming in the super refreshing pool...it was awesome.
Have a car so you can get around, buy your food or take off up to Samara for a delicious dinner on the beach. Use the kitchen to make lunch and head out for the beach or something Gwyen and Edmond help you set up. They know the area so can help set up the outings. And the patio area looking out over the forest to the ocean it a great place to spend hours visiting, eating, and hanging out.
We had a great time and definately recommend it.

• Stayed April 2012
lamisolegran, Owner at Rhodeside Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
Dear Alex
Thanks for the wonderful review. We sure were glad we were able to help you pick up a car so you could better acquaint yourselves with the area surrounding our little piece of paradise. Do come back again it would be great to see you again.
Ciao,
Gwen and Edmund

59 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Spring City, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

I had a wonderful time at Rhodeside B&B. It was so much more than I expected: the beautiful surroundings, the very refreshing pool, the incredible kindness and friendliness of the owners, the spacious cabins, a lovely terrace overlooking the land, and the amazing coffee, made it that more special!
Gwen makes the most amazing food! Especially sticky buns! She is so kind and is always there if something is needed. Very generous and thoughtful.
I really liked how I was in this beautiful place and able to connect with nature. The hammocks were so comfy I sat in them for hours, listening to the chirps of the birds and insects. I saw so many creatures that I had never seen before! Geckos, colorful butterflies, awesome looking birds with strange names, and more. I have to say that out of all the things there, I loved the coffee the most. It was filled with flavor and just hit the spot.
Everywhere I looked was filled with color! The mountains, the trees, the magnificent flowers, the animals, and the colorful houses. I spent hours watching the horses and even had the chance ride twice. Very cool experience!
I loved being surrounded by the 'wild'. Thats what makes this place so awesome and a must see. It isn't luxurious, but has everything you need. If you want to have a quiet, beautiful place to stay, I would definitely recommend Rhodeside.
Part of the experience for me was to see nature and all the little creatures, not to be in some highfalutin hotel or condo. Rhodeside Bed and Breakfast is sophisticated but simple. The perfect combination of the outdoors and all the comforts we are used to.
I know I haven't said all I wanted to, but this will have to do.
Thank you so much for the lovely stay Gwen and Ed!
Hannah

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
lamisolegran, Owner at Rhodeside Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
Thank you so much for the very thoughtful and sweet review Hannah. We would love for you to come back again some time to enjoy the peaceful setting and relax.
West Linn, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

On our way from Punta Coyote to Samara, we saw signs for Cappucino and Lattes...we had to stop, just out of curiosity! Ed and Gwen were wonderful host, making good iced lattes, fruit smoothies and advice on what to see and do. Now we are off to some of the adventures they recommended!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
lamisolegran, Owner at Rhodeside Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Thanks for this nice review. We had a nice time visiting with you here at Rhodeside and heard you had a great time at the Jungle Butterfly Farm! Terrific!
Durango, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

I'm re-reading the reviews for the Rhodeside after our stay and, frankly, scratching my head...We read the reviews before our stay and thought it would be a great choice for us. We took the whole place, as we were a party of 8, two families traveling together. We were in the Eliza cabin, the Ashley cabin and one of the lower cabins, all which have ample space. Gwen and Edmund were not there. Two very lovely young women were, but that meant that we could not tap into the experience base of the owners. It is a beautiful area, and as others have noted, not on the beach. A short drive will get you to town, restaurants, and Playa San Miguel. Breakfast was great and in a very pretty setting. Plenty of coffee and lots of variety. Internet was available at the breakfast area. The hosts even put out an Easter egg hunt for the kids...a very nice touch and much appreciated. One of our party was sick and they took time to check on her and give her something to eat and drink, while we took the kids to the beach. The pool, while not large, was quite deep and got the kids' energy out. This was not my first trip to Costa Rica, and I know this is a very remote area. While I did not expect luxury, I did expect the facilities to be clean and serviced daily. There were old cob webs in the bathroom, lots of mouse droppings on the ledges on the interior of the cabins, mouse droppings on the exterior ledges of the cabins, as well as outside the cabins on the chairs and paths. The kitchen area exhibited the same issues. We stayed two nights and the rooms were not serviced. There is no air-conditioning, only fans, which was okay - just be aware. A good breakfast, kind hosts, and a fabulous view does not make up for the lack of cleanliness. Sadly, I can not recommend staying here...

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
lamisolegran, Owner at Rhodeside Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, April 22, 2012
I was very sad to read your review of Rhodeside this morning. We were so sorry not to be there for your visit to Rhodeside. I felt we were leaving you in the competent hands of our assistants. It does say on our website that we do cleaning daily, however, historically the feed back we have been given says that daily cleaning is unnecessary and interrupts the guest privacy up at the cabins. So We went to cleaning the cabins on the third day along with changing towels and sheets that day. I am sorry you were disappointed.
The mouse droppings you spoke of are NOT mouse droppings but Bat droppings that happen every night. We do provide a broom to each cabin. We had the rooms cleaned before you came and I am sorry I was not there to personally check the cleanilness before you arrive. I am trying to figure out how to be able to get away when necessary and have my guests be happy when they leave.
Thank you for your time and input. It always helps to improve our service to know what customers are thinking.
Respectfully,
Gwen Rhodes
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

I couldn't believe it, when we found that peace of paradise, peaceful, beautiful, safe! Gwen, and Edmund were so pleasant, and nice we felt @ home immediately!!! Gwen made us most delicious ice Latte, and finger licking sticky buns!!!!Rooms were cozy, and comfy we fell asleep like a baby's! I definitely planing to go back, and visit my new friends with my children for delicious sticky buns and a pool time!!! Thank you Gwen, thank you Edmund for your hospitality, and amazing service!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
lamisolegran, Owner at Rhodeside Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, April 4, 2012
could not see the review but thanks so much for posting one. I found your name and the date...but no review? I will try again later. Hope you enjoy your stay in our area!
seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

We stumbled upon Rhodeside B&B after a long, yet exciting, day of driving and getting lost. The welcoming cappachino and expresso signs posted along the road led us up to the beautiful B&B. We were greeted with smiles and friendly conversation as we sipped our drinks looking out at the beautiful views around us.
We knew we had found a perfect place to stay and rented one of the rooms. Our room was perched on top of a hill with a perfect view of the sunset. The room was clean and comfortable.
The beach is <5 minute drive and, with recommendations from Gwen and Edmund we ate at the Flying Scorpian and had delicious fish tacos and cocktails.
We were awakened to a beautiful day and Gwen's delicious cooking.
I highly recommend this place, as it was the highlight of our trip!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
lamisolegran, Owner at Rhodeside Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, April 1, 2012
Thanks so much for the fabulous recommendation. Wonderful of you to do this for us. It is so good to have recommendations for each year...so people get that you are truly open and a good place to stop.
love
gwen
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

Coming back from camping on one of the nearby beaches we stumbled upon this place which sounded awesome to have breakfast. In the middle of nowhere a sign saying 'Latte?' 'Creamy Cappuchino?' surprised us and the warm welcome of the owners couple was definitely what we needed after a rough night.
The Lattes ARE awesome and creamy!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
lamisolegran, Owner at Rhodeside Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, March 29, 2012
Thanks for the recommendation and please come by here again if you are ever in the area!

Been to Rhodeside Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!