“Not Impressed” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Colva
UK
“Not Impressed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2008

Its not often i'll make a point of reviewing a resort but I really felt compelled to do so in this case.

We spent 5 nights at this resort in early Feb and it was a nightmare. This resort was a big dissapointment and the list of issues it has are large.

Service - rude receptionists, incredible slow response to requests, generally unhelpful.

Cleanliness - the grounds are OK but the rooms are not clean. They get a quick once over each day by the cleaners but that is all. The bathroom was very dirty and there was mould on the walls. The door looked like no one had cleaned it since the 70's! We also had cockroach in the rooms on the first night. Twice they cleaned the room but forgot to put covers back on the bed after

Beds - may as well sleep on the ground. They are basically wooden beds with no springs and a thin, old grotty matress on top. Very uncomfortable. Unless you ask them we got a wool blanket to sleep under instead of sheets! Nice (not!)

TV - did not work

Aircon - too noisy to use at night so we used a fan instead

Pool - the pool was dirty. I went in it once all holiday. Looked like no one goes round cleaning the edges as it was very grotty. sunloungers were probably still the originals from the 1970's and there was no shade.

Breakfast - appauling. Cold Omelette, cornflakes and hard toast. There was no fresh fruit or juices and no chance of basic extras (like sausage or bacon). It was an appauling breakfast. After the first day we went to the beach shacks to eat. I noticed some people ordering breakfast extras off a menu there, perhaps this is a ploy of the resort?

Noise - this resort seems to specialise in conventions and weddings! We had a 5 day works convention there, a wedding and a birthday party. Each had a huge party and music at night and kept us awake until the early hours. The works people were rude and they even used our balcony to work on! They stared at my wife when she lay by the pool. We complained about this an got no help from the staff at all.

Staff - some of the staff were nice but some were downright creeps. One of them was caught trying to video my wife on his mobile phone when she was sunbathing and got a right telling off. I heard of another spying on someone in the shower (unconfirmed).

As I said I normally would not review somewhere but I was so annoyed by this place I felt I had to warn people. We are experienced travellers around the world and in particular Asia. We have never had an experience like this before and for a resort charging a pretty hefty price and a reasonable reputation it was shocking. I would understand if we were paying bargain basement prices but we were not. This was meant to be one of the nicer places in the area.

Unfortunately it gave the town of Colva a bad name. Its a shame as we really liked Colva, the beach is superb, there are many nice places to eat out and in general people were very nice to us. I would recommend the area but not this resort.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Wrexham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2008

My wife and I arrived at the hotel on 23rd December 2007 and stayed for 14 nights on a half board basis. The breakfast consisted of a different type of egg dish every day and toast, which was normally hard because it had been pre-cooked for speed of service, luke warm tea or coffee or some sort of curry dish with bread. We only tried the buffet one night and the 'hot food' was nearly cold. As we stood at the buffet table a large insect landed in a dish of what looked like coleslaw and proceeded to bathe in it, I called the waiter's attention to it just as it took flight, he picked up a spoon thrust it into the bowl trying to locate the bug, but as it had flown off he was unable to locate it so he stirred the contents of the bowl and walked off leaving the delicacy for the next unsuspecting diner.

We booked through an online travel agent, but over the telephone, we were given what they called a standard room for the first night, I would call it less than basic although it had A/C. It did not have any hot water until we complained, I was told somebody had forgot to switch on the immersion. The next morning we paid an extra 300 Rupees per night for the following 13 nights to upgrade to a 'superior deluxe' room, which I would call a standard room. Settled in our 'superior deluxe' room we decided to have an early night as we could not get to sleep in the original sub-standard room. It was 1030PM, the band struck up for the first of 10 wedding, anniversary or birthday parties that took place over the fortnight of our stay. Down to reception in the morning to try and get a different room as far away from the noise as possible, they did not have one for 4 nights after which we managed to secure the best room in the hotel, 'a suite' for 5 nights at a further cost of 200 Rupees per night. We enjoyed the first 3 nights even though the water was still cold and then we were told that we could not have the last 2 nights we had paid for the 'suite' as somebody else had booked it but they would refund me the 2 times 200 Rupees that I had paid, I was annoyed. As soon as we had moved back into a 'superior deluxe' room which was once again above the function lawn the band begins to play until the early hours of the morning.

To sum it up the hotel is only interested in taking money from its paying guests and not in its customer service. Weddings and parties take precedent above all else and the manageress is in my opinion incompetant given my own experience and listening to other guests, Indians included, complaining about the service they have or have not received.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — staying there
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2008

This hotel was recommended by Lonely Planet. We stayed here just after Christmas - the 'fourth season' when rates are 8 times the normal price. Despite coming armed with an email that confirmed we had paid for the room in advance and in full, the hotel reception rang our room incessantly till 11.30pm, then from 8.00am in the morning, claiming they hadn't been paid, then when we tried to speak to the manager, she was 'busy' - but only until we walked out - then miraculously she was free. After she had been rude to us, and rang various people blaming them for this, that and the other, she finally checked her records again and realised her mistake. There was no apology to us. Every evening the restaurant was taken over by wedding receptions with appalling wedding bands that deafened the entire resort until 1.00am in the morning. Reception was constantly crowded with people complaining. Threatening lists of 'rules' on the walls told you what you weren't allowed to do and the penalties if you did (impounding luggage etc.). Definitely the worst hotel service I have ever experienced (in years of travelling!).

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
ambala
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2007

the hotel is excellent right on the colva beach but the service is poor. No action was taken when I made a written complaint about food packed in horrible way given to us during our trip to sightseeing. The quality of the packed food was very poor. I had not expected this in the wildest of my dreams.Next day they served a very good lunch on the day of our departure.

Stayed November 2007
auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2007

The hotel was great! Location was perfect - just a minute walk from the beach and the room had a balcony which looked out to the sea which was perfect! Rooms were cleaned everyday by lovely, friendly staff. Reception staff were very friendly (though sometimes a little disorganised, but hey, we were on holiday and in no hurry!) :o) The pool was very nice also! Food was delicious and very reasonably priced. Only negative would be there were never any pool towels when you need them... I would recommended this place to anyone who wants a bit of timeout, relaxation, swimming and eating!! :o)

• Liked — Location right on the beach!!! :o)
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Longuinhos Beach Resort? Share your experiences!