“Neat restaurant with interesting tapas and mains” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El Portal Taberna & Wines

El Portal Taberna & Wines
c/ Bilbao, 2., 03001 Alicante, Spain (Centro)
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with
El Portal Taberna & Wines is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 771 Restaurants in Alicante
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centro
Berlin, Germany
“Neat restaurant with interesting tapas and mains”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Nice atmosphere, great food. Amazing Mejillones tigres, fresh and local food with a changing daily menu and recommendations. Only when paying I was a little confused. My bill was about 35€ and I paid with a 50€ note but didn't get any change. So when I asked they brought me about 7€ back to the table, so I told them that I had paid 50€. The waiter left again and then I heard nothing for about 10 min and finally they came back with my change and told they had thought the 15€ were a tip that I had left for them. Seriously? A 15€ tip for 35€ dinner?

Marseille, France
“friendly stuff - hard chief”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

we had dinner tonight. The waiter was very supportive. Music was clamant. Everything wanted to be a little bit to modern. First course was excellent. Roasted bred with ham and grilled vegetables with olive oil and seasalt. Simple but so good. The second course was absolutely disapointing. We orderd rice with seaprawns. Rice and the prawns smelled odd. The friendly waiter assured us that this will be no problem and we may choose an other plate. Dessert was realy bad. This was not a "tarte tartin". This was a dry cake. My partner had a choise of three chocolate with ice cream from the supermarket. The vine was supperb. The surprise was the bill: while confirming to us that it would no problem to choose a different plate, we had to pay the rotten rice with the odd prawns. This was really not at all servive oriented.
That was a typical tourist rip off!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Preston, UK
“Stunning!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Over the years we have been travelling to Alicante I dont think we have had any bad food at all. The restaurants offer amazing traditional food at good prices. This time we tried El Portal. We are big fans of sitting in the nearby Soho Parc bar, watching the world go by & to be honest El Portal never appealed probably because, living in the usually murky northern England, we like to eat al fresco and this restaurant looked more formal.
Big mistake.... we have missed out! My husband had duck leg in pepper sauce to start, cooked wonderfully and amazing sauce. I had the goats cheese salad (when it says its to share, they really mean it!) I followed with the Fillet & mash, Oh my word! The best steak I have ever eaten. Hunny had venison which was so tender and cooked to perfection. We were given the wine list on a tablet by a very helpful waiter who helped us out, giving un-stuffy guidance.
Oh, and Man U were on the TV... situated in the cool bar area.... they got knocked out of the Champions league by Real Madrid so I would add an extra star to make it six if I could.
Carlsberg don't do nights out in Alicante, but if they did......
Thanks to all at El Portal, truly stunning food and service, cant wait to see you all again!!!!

Rugby, United Kingdom
“Disappointing...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

The restaurant design is amazing and the service is very good but I have to say, this place is defiantly over rated and overpriced.
Except of the wine that was recommended very professionally and was amazing the food was very average.
None of the dishes we had are worth mentioning or better than any other Tapas.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Could be in London”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

A sophisticated bar restaurant serving excellent spanish food. Busy place with computers filling in food and wine orders. Ipad available for wine selection. Avoid Saturday nights as very busy. Swopping traditional spanish for slick international style service. Good place for a drink and people watch before you order.

• Visited February 2013