“hot and cold” 4 of 5 stars
Review of M.B Restaurant

M.B Restaurant
Carretera General TF-47 Km.9 | Guía de Isora, 38687 Guia de Isora, Tenerife, Spain
922 126 000
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
York, United Kingdom
“hot and cold”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

The hot and cold reference is split between; great food and a cold restaurant; we opted for the carte menu; expensive yes; however top quality food was presented to both taste and presentation; the restaurant was very cold and spoilt the enjoyment of the evening.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

oslo, norway
“A disappointment”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

Location, service and wineselection is the only thing worthy of a star or two. But the food is not good enough. When going to a star restaurant, you should expect to be surprised by most, if not all dishes. But when only 5 out of 20 dishes makes you say "this is good", and when the price is 510eur for 2, it simply isnt worth it. A disappointment. Coming from a man who has been to about 10 other michelinstars.

Scotland, United Kingdom
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Recently visited this restaurant had not been in over a year ,and what a great change food has moved up up up !! It was delious we had the extended menu ,of nine courses loved it all , Martin certainly loves his food frozen, great flavours from small additions to the plates - Red prawn carpaccio seasoned with Espelette pepper on a raifort tofu and a their biscuit , then Emulsified raw fennel pearls in risotto, fresh and beautiful ,- Truffle gelatin on the bed of smooth foie-gras cream with sweet and salty touch an totally outstanding dish .
I love Andrew Fairlies in Gleneagles Scotland two Michelin starred, honestly Martins food is up there with him, wait and see another star may come.
A great birthday treat for me .

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, UK
“what a load of rubbish”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

So.... we were very excited about going to MB. Booked a very expensive babysitter so we could go out for a very expensive meal.
It was such a disappointment. The apetisers looked very impressive but a couple were almost inedible. My starter of Tuna Tartar WAS inedible, it tasted of soggy cat food (or what I imagine soggy catfood would taste like).

The mains were relatively pleasant, the wine was good and the staff were lovely. BUT all in all it was a massive disapointment. I really cannot understand why this place gets away with charging so much.
My advice - dont even think about it.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Moscow, Russia
“Just a bit too much for me really”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We were notified by our hotel to book this restaurant in advance and so we did. We came and decided to to the grand tasting menu. To an expert, this would be haute cuisine following all of the modern trends such as molecular gastronomy. The presentation was impeccable. So was the service. My husband commented this was more of an art installation, or a stage production than a real dinner and I have to agree. We marveled at the tastes and consistency of some of the dishes. We were really happy with the staff that had outdone itself with their courteous manner and great presentation of the food.

Why four out of five only then? Well, firstly they ran out of Lagavulin my husband and father-in-law drank and hadn't had another bottle around. Our waiter knowledgeably suggested going for Ardbeg then (another Islay single malt), but still it leaves a bitter taste in your mouth as in my humble opinion, it is inferior to Lagavulin. Also, I guess this is more a question of acquired tastes, but some things on my plate just tasted plain weird. Like the soup to go with a fish that was smoky, or the foie gras that tasted smoky and weird and I just had to pass my plate to my husband to finish it. Don't get me wrong, most of the things tasted good or interesting. But the overall design of the tasting menu made me eat these kind of weird things that when finally a proper normal meal arrived (including the best mashed potatoes I have ever eaten), I was feeling full yet without the satisfaction of eating something really really good. The whole fare lasted four hours. I found that quite outrageous. I know it may be a difference in cultures as especially in France you make the dinner quite a long affair, but even with ten courses it could have been done in a shorter amount of time. It was already a long day for me and I found myself trying not to fall asleep as the evening dragged on a on.

I found the price for the tasting menu of about 100 euros per person fair and good value, compared to other tasting menus of other top restaurants. If you're a connoisseur of fine dining then go ahead, book and enjoy, you won't be disappointed. This just wasn't really my thing.

• Visited September 2013