“Very romantic getaway, old world charm” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tenuta La Bandita

You added Tenuta La Bandita to your Saves list
Tenuta La Bandita
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Via Campagna Nord , 35 | Livorno, 57020 Sassetta, Italy   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Sassetta B&B and Inns
“Very romantic getaway, old world charm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

This is a very well maintained old country villa that is a perfect getaway for a night or two. The rooms are furnished with antiques, as is the rest of the villa. The restaurant on the premises is superb--the malfatti with porcini mushrooms were to die for--and offers a superb view over the local terrain due to its being situated atop a hill. You will definitely need a car, as the location is not within walking distance of anything. If you're looking for a place to chill out either as a solo traveler or as a couple, you will like it here. It's upscale but not fussy, with a real flavor of Old Italy. Good wifi throughout. Would happily come back.

• Stayed July 2013

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I have to admit, while researching a place to stay after arriving in Rome, the comment about the laughing donkey intrigued me. My research of its website and trip advisor cinched the deal!
Upon our arrival the Villa was a welcomed retreat, the suite upstairs was rustically inviting, the patio doors brought in a beautiful breeze and a view of a village nestled in the middle of the mountain across the way. My husband fell asleep immediately in the comfortable bed. I went downstairs and explored the inn, a classical Tuscan style. The comfortable inviting parlor,the magazines of both culinary and scenic delights awaited me. It was just begging me for a glass of local vine. I gave in, but my host suggested a table on the patio watching the sunset. Good idea. (Ok, I had two)
While experiencing the most tranquil environment high in the hills, the laid back setting, the service both attentive yet private, I heard the magic sound, the braying of the infamous laughing donkey! I felt like I was in the middle of a movie.
I can go on forever, I loved the inn, the Resturant was great,all farm grown products, intimate setting, incredible service and fabulous wines...
I have recommended this inn to my friends, my travel agent and now to you with no hesitation. I will return!

While not a luxury inn, if you are looking for upscale rustic inns in a true Tuscan style with a private romantic setting, this place is for you!

My only suggestion would be to fix railing on stairs and invest in down comforters......
Thank you for a memorable stay and making us feel special... Oh, my husband woke up for dinner and loved it..

Lyn Ambridge

K

• Stayed June 2013
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We are a young couple from Holland with a 15 week old lovely baby. We checked tripadvisor before visiting the location and, to be honest, did not book it yet on booking.com because of some negative comments besides a lot of positive ones. But the photo's where very promising to us and gave a good feeling so we decided to choose 3 locations and visit them first. Bandito was the first location. We didn't went to the other 2 anymore: We arrived at a beautifull villa and had a warm welcome by the owner Daniele (so we don't regonize the negative comments about her in other reviews). Daniele showed us 3 different rooms/apartments. All 3 a dream. One even more beautiful than the other and sometimes I was having the feeling walking into a "North and South" scene (remember that serie?). It really shows that the owners put a lot of effort, energy and money in this big but beautiful location. We choose the standard room because it was near the pool and on ground floor so easy when you have a baby. Within 30 minutes a made came in to bring fresh flowers. How cute! The main villa with breakfast and diner room + relax (living) room is just wonderful. Outside a romantic terrace where you also can choose to have your breakfast or diner. Even lunch is possible and on request they bring it even to the pool! Perfect staff! Galid is the best waiter ever! Very kind and professional and speaks fluent French, Italian and German! The food is absolutely high for Italian standards. We are from Holland, really used to good restaurants and not easy to satisfy but Villa Tenuta La Bandita is absolutely an Italian dream come true! Not 3 but for sure 4 stars!

Room Tip: Ask Daniela to show you some of the rooms before you choose. Some bathrooms and showers are bigger t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

This place is in the middle of the hills and hard to find, but we didn't have any big problems (though driving during daytime is highly recommended). We loved the place and used it as a two night stop to begin a drive through wine country. It was one of our favourites. Animals roam the property and some get eaten for dinner! The restaurant was great and the food was obviously very fresh. We will travel back here whenever we return to Tuscany.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Nordstrand, Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

We just ended two weeks vacation on a roundtrip in Tuscany. Pisa was bad, Siena was fantastic, the beach was too crowdy, San Gimignano was excellent, Lucca was great, Volterra too...but the place that we definitely will return to, is Tenuta La Bandida. We read a lot of different reviews before we decided to go there, just for one night. We ended up being there the last four nights, and then we had to return to Norway.
First of all: The food was excellent (don't let any of the other reviewers tell you different), the swimmingpool was refreshing (even tho we needed to clean it for bugs once every day), the rooms were just as majestic as you read about in the fairytales and the colourful owner made the stay a perfect ending on a perfect vacation. The last night we woke up in the middle of the night, and we were sure it was a drunk man playing saxophone in the garden. Fortunately it was just a singing donkey..

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

First of all, I have to say that our stay at La Bandita a few months ago was not too bad. The hotel itself is beautiful and the staff is very kind and welcoming.

Unfortunately though we had a negative fist impression: when we first got there, the owner was smoking in the office and she looked very insecure of herself and almost embarrassed.

As I mentioned, the staff is kind and efficient, but it is immediately clear that they do not have enough people working there, so you see the poor waitresses running around trying to do everything…one really feels sorry for them and wishes they were not so few.

Another thing that I didn’t like at all is that the owner treats her staff very badly. She picked up on a waitress in a really rude and aggressive way, something I find unjustifiable in any case, but especially in front of the clients, as it was in our case!

I also noticed that they have video cameras in some rooms, e.g. in the kitchen and in the offices. I really wonder if that’s legal in Italy. If – as I think – it isn’t legal then I think this should be brought to the attention of the appropriate authorities.

Finally, I’ve always thought of Italy as THE country for good cooking and wonderful eating…well, for sure you don’t get that at La Bandita. You can see there isn’t any care at all and that the implicit idea behind this attitude is that “anything’s good for these tourists”…very disappointing indeed.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

If you can find this place, you will recognize that it is well worth the effort. However, finding it is quite a challenge as both the car navigation system and cell phone GPS took us on an adventure. Plan to arrive during daylight hours! La Bandita is run by a very warm and charming staff who pay attention to every detail of your stay. The place is extremely clean, charming, with fresh flowers in every room. It reminded us of an upscale farmhouse with the occasional sound of donkeys outside. After a long day in the car, we had probably the best dinner so far in Italy here. I think we would come back just for the dinner. Plan for at least 2 days here if possible since it is such an amazing place and far off the beaten path.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sassetta
Relais Poggio Ai Santi
Riva degli Etruschi
#6 of 25 in San Vincenzo
4.0 of 5 stars 441 reviews
Campastrello Sport Residence Hotel
Campastrello Sport Residence Hot...
#5 of 16 in Castagneto Carducci
4.5 of 5 stars 96 reviews

Been to Tenuta La Bandita? Share your experiences!