“Great food.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 9 Dunmore East B&B and Inns
Brisbane, Australia
“Great food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012 via mobile

Had our evening meal here whilst staying over night at The Beach Guesthouse. Extensive choices on menu using locally caught and grown produce. Can recommend the beef stew with potatoes and the smoked mackeral and garlic / cheese potatoes. Friendly service.

• Stayed June 2012

172 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

Dissapointed. During my previous stay, I was really impressed with the Strand Inn I had been given a room at the top of the Hotel which was large, comfortable, clean, with a large bathroom with a bath, and with the sound of the sea audible from the window. Unfortunately, my return trip was quite different.We were given a really small bare room, overlooking the kitchen yard, from which the noises of the kitchen fan and the working kitchen could be clearly heard . The bed-spread was stained, as was a tiny table, the lights over the bed were broken and the bathroom was tiny. It was like staying in a completely different Hotel.
...the pictures of rooms on the Hotel website definitely didn't reflect this room and are misleading. " Kingsize bed" and "spacious bathrooms" it certainly did not have, nor a sea view.
We asked for a change of room, but no room was available.
Having said that the staff were all very helpful , and the restaurant is great with gorgeous food.
I had recommended this Hotel to friends following my previous stay, but unfortunately, based on my most recent stay I would have to withdraw the recommendation.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
clifdenfoyle, Owner at The Strand Inn, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
I'm Very sorry you did not enjoy your stay, We have one very small room and you happened to be in it as the hotel was full i could'nt move you. if you'd like to return i can put you in one of sea view rooms and offer you a very good rate. As Regards the light & stains this is a house keeping error and it has be dealt with. please contact me if you wish to take up my offer, regards clifden
Vestavia Hills, Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

The restaurant, pub area, was dirty. The fish pie was overseasoned with thyme, oregano with dill -- very strange flavor combination. The brown bread was good, apple crumble, very good and service friendly. The food was over priced for the quality we received.

Kilkenny, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

I am just back from a wonderful weekend away at the Strand Inn and what a gorgeous spot it is. The Strand is right on the beach and the rooms overlook the sea and you can literally pop from the beach to your room in a few minutes to grab a book or a drink and then potter back to the beach again. The food is absolutely delicious and a fantastic spot for seafood, you can sit back order your meal and enjoy it while looking out at sea - perfect! The rooms are fresh and bright and airy and all fully refurbished and the staff are very attentive. I travelled to the Strand with my son who is three and he loved it, we will be back again very soon!

Room Tip: Ask for a seaview room and try the delicious seafood
Kildare, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

I stayed in this hotel last weekend. What an amazing place. Firstly the weather was fantastic so that helped so much.

I was away with a group of girls but I have 2 small children and cannot wait to go back with them.
Rooms were perfect not luxury but very clean, modern and had everything in it that we needed. They cleaned the rooms and changed the towels every day.

The food in the Restaurant was very good and service was excellent. The Fish was great. The breakfast was basic (a small selection of fruits, cereals etc) but the full Irish was very good, cooked to order and served up to you. I have stayed in many hotels over the last few years and have found very very few hotels that cook the breakfast to order including some of the very well known 5 star hotels.

The staff was just great. Everyone we meet from the owners to the housekeeping staff and everyone in between, they could not have been nicer. It felt like a home away from home, like we had stayed there a million times before and we knew everyone. The owners which I think were brother and sister were very hands on and seemed to have been there all day and night. They were very friendly and took time to ensure all customers were happy with food, accommodation etc. Nothing seemed to have been a problem. All the girls in our group commented on how each of the staff was so friendly and helpful.

The Bars were great craic during the day and at night. They had a band on the sat evening and there were people up dancing which was great fun. While I was away with a group of girls there were also plenty of families having some food and drinks, that were also having just as much fun as we were.

The location could not be better, just amazing views and right beside the beach. So close to Waterford city too so if you wanted to do some shopping etc.

Really looking forward to going back there and would highly recommend it to my family and friends.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 18 which would sleep 4, would be a great as a family room. Fantasic views from the...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012 via mobile

I fell in love with dunmore east when I first came here last summer. The strand has an amazing location and I promised to stay here when I returned.
Unfortunately the hotel did not live up to my expectations. The room was a little tatty and had a musty smell. The food was certainly not worthy of the high prices. I would have been satisfied if I had the same meal at 65 percent of the cost, however the high price just left me feeling ripped off.
The staff were friendly but really felt like seasonals with little experience or training.
This review seems very negative so I will say the location is stunning and the Craic in the bar was great. The place is definitely seems like a great pub, just not a great hotel or restaurant.

• Stayed May 2012
Kildare
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

We booked a family room for 2 nights as we have 2 boys, one is nearly 13 and I wanted the family room with the separate room for the boys. When we arrived we were given the key for room 18. We went to the room and found that there was someone already checked into the room. Went back to reception and discovered that they had checked someone else into the room we had booked. We were then offered room 20, this was not suitable for 4 people at all. It didn't have a separate room for the boys as I had requested. We tried to find another hotel in the area but as it was a bank holiday weekend, they were fully booked. We didn't really have much choice but to take the room.

We went back downstairs to the bar and the girl who had checked us in offered to give us 2 rooms the following night, I tried to explain that I wouldn’t leave 2 children in a room on their own. She was very pleasant and helpful and I know it wasn’t her fault but I was really disappointed and it really did spoil our break.

We ordered our dinner and some drinks, I have to say the food was excellent. They gave us the meal and drinks for free to make up for the mix up.

Later on we were told that they could move us to a 3 bed house beside the hotel the next day. This was fine, we excepted the offer and moved into the house the next afternoon. The house is fabulous, plenty of room.

At checkout, the lady didn’t know how much we owed and asked me ??? I wasn’t sure and mentioned an amount and she took that. Since arriving home I have discovered that we have been overcharged. I am waiting on a reply to an email I have sent to them.

Overall the hotel is in a lovely spot right beside the beach. They do have problems, it all seems a bit disjointed, nobody on reception, you have to go looking for someone to check in and check out. Service in the bar could be better, I think they just need more staff at busy times.

I’d love to go back to stay again but I would be worried about this happening again as the accommodation side of things doesn’t seem to be run very well. The mix up in the rooms was blamed on not being able to read someone’s handwriting.

clifdenfoyle, Owner at The Strand Inn, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
I'm very sorry about the mix up with your room,
And i'm very glad you were happy with the house we offered you.
The mix up with the price was down to not knowing you had paid a booking deposit which has since been credited back to your account by the booking agent in question, this was out of our hands as we don't recieve your credit card details automatically, we have to request them.
Again i'm sorry for the mix up.
Clifden Foyle

Been to The Strand Inn? Share your experiences!