“Great surf” 5 of 5 stars

Riga Region, Latvia
3 attraction reviews
“Great surf”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2015

Easy to get around the village. Fewer machete's and shotguns than the rest of El Salvador.

Plenty of surf shops to rent boards. Breaks in April weren't that crowded.

Visited April 2015

Guayaquil, Ecuador
“Great place in El Salvador”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2015 via mobile

I just came back from a trip to El Tunco with friends, we were there during midweek so there was no party which was great for us. During the weekdays the town was calm and with not many people. We would get up at 5am to surf and be back at 10am for a yoga session at Balancé Studio. The food was great as there were many options to choose from (which was great as we had just came back from Punta Mango which is more isolated) we would have lunch at Taco Guanaco for $5 and eat huge Pupusas nextdoor for a dollar each at dinner time. The surf was good but only early in the morning and late in the afternoon (as it got windy afterwards) so you have all day left to just explore and hang out. We really recommend our driver Mauricio Flores 78151356 .. He can take you to any surfbreak you want... There are a bunch just 10 min near El Tunco area (Punta Rocas, Playa La Paz, El Zonte, El Cocal, Km 59, etc)... If there's no swell you can always just surf in El Sunzal or la Bocana (in El Tunco), there are always waves there...
About security don't worry about it... We never felt threatened (of course we were in bed by 10pm to surf early)

Visited April 2015
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Playa El Tunco”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2015

Playa El Tunco is a well-know surf beach here in El Salvador. I visit here frequently as my family owns a home on the beach.

There are a number of small shops, restaurants and a variety of hostels, and hotels.

As a destination for many tourists outside El Salvador, the beach attracts surfers and beach-goers.

Personally, I have never been impressed by any of the restaurants on El Tunco, and find they are generally more expensive compared to others of a similar nature, provide poor quality food and service. It's been my experience of over more than four years of travel and stay here, many fall in the category of "tourist traps." I am also certain, there are exceptions to my experiences.

You may wish to avoid travel here during the weekends since traffic can be a problem from El Salvador and other locations via Porta La Libertad. Parking may also be a challenge, especially during the weekends and holidays. In addition, there are no public restrooms at the beach except within restaurants or hotels.

From my experience as well, it is also an area where one should be careful of robberies, along the beach in particular. I am aware there have been a number of such incidences over the week of Semana Santa (Easter), including muggings, break-ins and vandalism to property. These also appear to have been directed at tourists, and visitors from outside El Salvador. In my opinion as a traveler and pending resident of El Salvador, this is not a smart way to welcome anyone to this area !

There are several hotels, which receive high marks and recommendations. The beach is beautiful, and offers peace and solitude, especially if you can be here away from the weekends and "high season" periods. Sunsets are certainly spectacular. I recommend the beach to anyone, especially surfer aficiandos.

Visited March 2015
4 attraction reviews
“NIghtlife is fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2015

the nightlife here is fun if you're into dancing and drinking...food idk. I come from California and trust me I am opened to try any type of food but some of their seafood here (for me) wasn't that great. The shrimp were the size of the cup o' noodle shrimp. Other than that this place is great! There is usually a $2 cover to most of the restaurants/clubs at night.

Visited January 2015
“Day trip from San Salvador to learn surfing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2015

We live in San Salvador and oftentimes come to El Tunco so that my children can learn to surf, at Kayo Surfing School. It is a good time for good waves and before the rainy season comes. It is recommended to leave San Salvador no later than 5:45 am to catch the best waves, while Parents can have breakfast at the restaurant.