“So good not sure if I want to do the Review & Spoil a hidden Gem” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kenya Bay Beach Hotel

You added Kenya Bay Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Kenya Bay Beach Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Mombasa Malindi Road | Bamburi Beach, Bamburi, Mombasa 80100, Kenya   |
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Bamburi
London, United Kingdom
“So good not sure if I want to do the Review & Spoil a hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2008

Due to Bamburi Beach Resorts Manager not honouring their written confirmation just to earn a few more shillings IMy Kenyan wife and I checked in to the Kenya Bay Beach Hotel at about 15minutes notice, gave us the Kenyan Resident rate by makibg sure my wifes name was the lead. No problem with choosing whichever meal plan you want. We needed to have a room to put our luggage for the day due to the fact we were travelling on the train on the following evening, The Bay's solution was a late check out at no extra charge. Also saw them check in some new guests early and arrangfor breakfast at no extra charge on the Sunday. They also had no problem with visitors from town (we had to organise some things with a friend who was getting married in Shanzu). The staff were all excellent at every stage of our stay

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — The Reserving of tables for breakfast when there werent enough tables in the 1st place
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Polish first
Cardiff
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2008

My stay at Kenya Bay blew all expectations. Not only did the location meet all my needs but it felt like staying in a second home. All the staff were on hand ready to answer any questions and attend all my family's needs. It honestly was one of the best holidays of my life, watching the sun rise and set every day over the Indian Ocean. Thanks Kenya Bay for making my holiday picture perfect!

• Liked — The Staff
  • Disliked — -
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Nairobi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2008

We have just returned from a week at the Kenya Bay Beach hotel situated on probably the finest beach in Mombasa.
The service and staff are very friendly and made our stay very pleasant. Rooms are beautifully furnished,neat and clean with easy access to the beach and dining areas.The food is really out of this world and made us not to venture out to eat at othet resturants. The pool is great and large enough for adults and children. The pool attendants were wonderful, laying out towels and sun beds as we wanted. Evening entertainment is lively and fun.

Not an expensive hotel and overall we would say this is probably the best hotel we have ever stayed in Mombasa at this price range.

• Liked — beautiful rooms, excellent colour schemes
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2008

An excellent choice of hotel. Friendly service, great food, cleanliness a motto, lovely view of the beach from the room. Lucky to have stayed at Kenya Bay Beach Hotel to make our stay worthwhile in Kenya.
To add icing to the cake, all the watersport on the doorstep. Jet skiing too. Speciality restaurants a walk away and the staff most helpful. definitely coming back to Kenya Bay next summer!

• Liked — View
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
Noord-Brabant Holland/ Mombasa Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2008

In August we stayed one week at the Kenya Bay Beach Resort in Mombasa, Kenya. We had a wonderful stay, nice, clean rooms. Enough space in the room. Bathroom is small but all what you need is there, only the water coming for the showers is very low and mostly almost cold. But as Mombasa is hot, we didn't mind on this. The rooms have a large balcony and wherever your room is, you have seaview (partly or front). We stayed on bed and breakfast basis, the breakfast was good. fresh fruits, bread, toast, egg station, coffee and tea and as well fresh juices. In the afternoon we could enjoy coffee and tea for free. There is internet service available free of charge at the reception. If you see the internetsite of this accommodation, you have low expectations of this accommodation, but the reality is better. This hotel is rated as 3-star, but our experience is 4-star!
Heike, thanks for this wonderful stay! We definately come back to Kenya Bay!

• Liked — Rooms and location on the beach
  • Disliked — nothing,we had a good stay
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
sheffield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2008

My wife and I booked 5 nights at the Kenya Bay in Bamburi, Mombasa as a relaxing break after two weeks sari and camping in the bush. After flying from Nairobi to Mombasa we were picked up by a taxi arranged by the hotel and swiftly taken to the hotel Check-in was simple and we got a welcome drink and flowers for my wife. Our room was spacious and spotless overlooking the beautiful gardens. The hotel grounds had landscaped gardens, fish ponds, pool, beach bar and restaurant. We were immediately impressed by the hotel and all of its very helpful and friendly staff. Nothing was too much out of their way when it came to hospitality. The food at breakfast and dinner was buffet-style with more than enough quality food and flavours.

The hotel was positioned right on the beach alongside other hotels such as Whitesands and Travellers Beach. Having looked around Whitesands we realised that posh and expensive was not for us and the Kenya Bay fitted the bill just perfectly. Evening entertainment was usually local acrobats and dancers so it was nice to see amateurs getting a break. There is also a quiet beach bar, ping pong and pool.

Outside the hotel you have to run the gauntlet of beach boys touting boat trips, wooden animals, jewellery and whatever they can sell. This is a known annoyance of Mombasa's beaches but you get used to them and they get used to you saying "No". Outside the front gate is the main Mombasa to Malindi road alongside which you will find the Haller Park Nature Park and Bamburi Nature Trails. Go to both, they are worth seeing and you are left to your own devices which is a welcome break from the beach. If you like watersports, boat trips and snorkeling, the hotel has a watersports centre and have everything that you need.

Overall we made an excellent choice by staying at Kenya Bay and I would throughly recommend it in all ways. We love Kenya Bay.

• Liked — Friendly staff. all-round cleanliness, lovely food, quiet
  • Disliked — Beach boys (not Kenya Bay's fault, they are everywhere)
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Canada, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2008

OVERALL SATISFACTION: Above Average to Excellent
COMMENTS: I visited Kenya Bay Beach Hotel for my first trip to Kenya's coast. I thoroughly enjoyed my short stay which began with a first class train ride from Nairobi to Mombassa (recommended by Heike, the Operations Manager) and a taxi ride to Kenya Bay Beach.

In advance of my trip, Heike, provided me with useful tips to ensure a pleasant trip to the coast and to Hotel. She was also very prompt in accomodating my needs when I arrived and sought a room closer to the beach. A nice touch was that Heike provided the room with flowers when our room change was complete. This was a very welcomed gesture!

The beachfront property views are stunning and around the clock hotel security protects you from incessant hawkers on the beach. These people are mostly just trying desparately to make a living but it can be extremely irritating just to talk a walk along the beachfront during the day without being bothered when all you really want to do is browse and enjoy. I did spend time dealing with the hawkers, but when I wanted a break, I was glad to lounge on the hotel grounds. The wait staff in the dining room was absolutely fantastic as were the porters, reception desk staff and masseuse. Although the cashier could smile a bit when he takes your money, lol. The daily meals were more than ample and there was quite a variety given the small numbers of guests during my stay. This hotel is also within short matatu ride distance to a shopping centre where you have banks, travel agents, grocery store, restaurants, etc. The deluxe rooms were very spacious, had air con. ample lighting, lots of hot water, and though close to the dining room and beach, were also very private.

Alas, my stay was all too brief and some day I hope for a chance to return. I'm glad I found the hotel on line and would recommend it wholeheartedly. Since I mostly travel on budget, I found the prices somewhat high during a slack tourist season, however still better value than other places on the net. Thank you Heike and staff for making my short stay a pleasant and relaxing one.

• Liked — The beach views
  • Disliked — No elevator if you wish to stay in the main building with wonderfully renovated rooms.
  • Stayed April 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Kenya Bay Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!