“paradise in Bamburi” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Severin Sea Lodge

Save Saved
You added Severin Sea Lodge to your Saves list
Severin Sea Lodge
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bamburi Beach, Malindi Road, Bamburi, Mombasa 80100, Kenya   |
Ranked #3 of 14 hotels in Bamburi
Bradford, United Kingdom
“paradise in Bamburi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We've just got back from our honeymoon at the Severin sea lodge, bamburi beach, kenya and I have to say, we couldn't have chosen a better place to go! The hotel complex is magical and if you're interested in nature, this is the place to be. Every day we were visited by the monkeys who will eat out of your hand if you let them. There's a vast range of butterflies and little brightly coloured lizards that are sure to cross your path as you stroll through the well kept gardens. All of the staff, from the gardeners to the reception clerks, are very friendly and helpful and can't do enough to make your stay perfect. The food in the hotel is lovely and there's plenty to choose from, and I highly recommend the soups! The only thing I found lacking was the evening entertainment, although we were treated to the spectacle of the 'Massai Mara' dancing one evening and an African fashion show. Other than that, it's a little bit quiet in the evenings so if you're looking for disco/karaoke you will have to have a wander down the beach or a taxi into town. On the other hand, if you want to relax and have peace and quiet, this is definately the place to do it.

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely and the staff are very accomodating to your needs.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

307 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We have just returned from a week at Severin and I have to say I was so sad to leave I cried on our final night!

The staff are extremely friendly and welcoming, particularly when it comes to the activities on offer- my usually reluctant boyfriend was even persuaded to do a bit of 'water jogging' which I think he enjoyed! Mason even organised for us to have some coffee and bread and jam for breakfast at 3.15 in the morning on the day of our return (our Thomson tour guide gave us the wrong time for our pick up in the morning so we ended up being an hour early!)

Being the low season the hotel was very quiet during the day but seemed to fill with people in the evenings and morning for breakfast and dinner- no issues at all in terms of the fact that it was low season, there was usually a bit of torrential rain at some point during the day but we certainly also got plenty of sun and the temperature was perfectly tropical.

The room we stayed in was reasonable, I wouldn't say it's the nicest I've had but it definitely served our purposes and having airconditioning and a balcony is always a plus. Our room was away from the pool/bar/restaurant area which I definitely preferred- particularly as this meant we weren't constantly pestered by naughty monkeys!

The only thing which let the experience down slightly was the food, we went half board so had breakfast and dinner every day- the breakfast was very varied with lovely tropical fresh fruit, cereals, hot breakfast, pancakes, toast and pastries but the dinner was rather old fashioned cuisine, slightly like something you might have expected from a dinner party circa 1985. Everything was tasty, but some of the combinations were slightly odd, and there weren't as many veggies as I would have liked. We also had dinner at the Imani Dhow one evening which was ok, but I don't think it represents particularly good value for money and I'm sure my order wasn't actually what I asked for (piri piri prawns ended up being some kind of butterflied prawn with a creamy mushroomy sauce which was slightly odd)

I would highly recommend drinking as much coffee as possible however, it was absolutely delicious (and I'm not normally a coffee drinker!) and you get free coffee, tea and cake when you're on half board between 4 and 5 every day.

If you do go half board I would definitely recommend having a wander along the beach to try some of the restaurants further up (we went to Yul's and Il Covo and were extremely pleased with both)

All in all we had an absolutely wonderful time (although my boyfriend's experience was slightly marred by being harrassed into buying some ridiculous items from the beach boys) and we would definitely go back again next year.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Thank you once again all the staff at the Severin Sea Lodge for making our week stay superb in every way.. we were working with the Bombolulu Cultural Centre - sometimes a 10 hour day and it was so good to come home to the Severin and our lovely clean air conditioned room set amongst the palm trees. The food was tip top, the service superb and the Front of House staff so helpful... as I said last year... we will definitely be back. I cannot see any reason to stay at any of the other hotels along the strip.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Went in low season - selected by reputation and price, and had a wonderful time. The staff are endlessly helpful and friendly, always willing to go the extra mile. Restaurant very willing to help with a somewhat eccentric diet. High standards of maintenance and cleanliness, gardens and grounds kept very well, some clever design which isn't as awful a pastiche as other hotels. This is now our confirmed choice in and around Mombasa.

A few points: two pools and a beach, but the beach disappears at low tide. Monkeys in the grounds are expert thieves and not intimidated by much: open balcony doors need guarding! Reception can fix up very reliable taxis, including to Shimba Hills Reserve. ATM is walking distance away, but can easily be visited on the way to Mombasa or the nearby City Mall. Security good: I have rarely felt so safe in Kenya.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
W. Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

Can't say enough about the Severin. I've stayed at other beach hotels in MBA but Severin beats all for amenities vs value. Awesome pool and great restaurant. Try it! Even if you just use the pool, you'll see it is better value for the dollar than its more expensive neighbors. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed March 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

My review is not so much for the hotel itself but for the Front Office Manager - Mr George Oyugi. We visited in December and my daughter left a pair of trousers in her room. I contacted Severin to see if they had been found. George emailed me back immediately to say they had been kept safely. George went out of his way to help me and had the trousers delivered to a family member in Nairobi and then we were able to have them brought back to South Africa. Thank you George for outstanding and exemplary service - this is rare in today's world.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We returned to Severin Sea Lodge this year and found the standards as high as we remembered. The food is great, the staff very helpful and friendly and the rooms are a very high standard. We walked the marvellous beach every day which is miles long. The beach boys leave you pretty much alone after the first "come and see my shop" encounters. I played tennis often with their resident pro Sammy who helped me out with my serve. We went diving and snorkelling with Steve and the guys from Barracuda who also arranged for me to learn to Kite Surf, which was fantastic. We also played Golf at the Nyali Golf Club where we hired clubs; it did not feel as hot as we thought it would be but the drinks overlooking the 18 hole hole ended the day nicely. We will defiantly return to Severin as they looked after us so well..

Room Tip: The upstairs cottages are larger and have good views over the grounds, the pool and to the Sea.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Severin Sea Lodge? Share your experiences!