“Great Property” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Bamburi
Kentucky
“Great Property”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Spent one night due to a flight being grounded; the grounds are beautiful, but rooms vary widely from outdated/marginal to modern/great. The primary restaurant is very nice, staff is very friendly, would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms are designated by type of view; the higher-end/ocean view rooms have been updated & mainta...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Alexandria, Egypt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

The white sand is very famous with its nice beach and lovely white sands.
However unfortunately you can only watch the lovely beach from your chaise long behind the fence.
Renovated rooms are well designed, clean and tidy with everything new. Swimming pools and beach bars are nice, restaurants are not bad.
It is a nice resort to have a tranquil vacation at.

Room Tip: Ask for the renovated rooms.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hamburg, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We just spent three wonderful nights at the Whitesands resort near Mombasa. We enjoyed a restful stay in this beachside resort that capped a 5 day safari in Kenya's gorgeous interior. We had stayed at 3 different Sarova resorts on the safari, and the Whitesands offering follows the same winning Sarova formula - wonderful, clean and modern facilities; an exceptionally attentive and professional staff; and varied and bountiful buffet meals offering quality and choice. They are currently rennovating their rooms and our first night was spent in one of the older rooms at the back of the property. However, we were moved to a lovely, modern room overlooking the beach for our second and third nights, and the quality of these rennovated rooms is truly superior. This transition was handled gracefully and efficiently - and as a result our stay at the resort was completely enjoyable.

Room Tip: Please ensure that you are staying in one of the rennovated rooms. The older ones are tired and sm...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Having spent 5 days on safari I came to this hotel and could not believe my holiday could get any better. From the second I arrived untill the minute I left 8 days later I was treated with kindness and love.
All the staff were so welcoming and friendly but that is how Kenyan people are.
The hotel was exceptionly clean and even though it is all open plan they employ a young man to frighten the weaver birds away at breakfast it is so entertaining to watch.
The food was of top quality and a wide variety to chose from.
The views from my seafront room were breathtaking and I sat and watched the sun rise every morning as I did not want to miss a single second of this amazing holiday.
I loved it that much that I am going back later in the year and it is the only holiday I have had that I did not get homesick just the opposite I did not want to leave they made me feel part of a family.
As a lady on my own I had no worries over my securuity or safety as they have 24hour securuity in the hotel and grounds(not that it is neaded as it is a very safe place to go)
If you want a dream holiday you will not be disappointed with this hotel

Room Tip: sae front or quiet pool area
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Hyderabad, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

A beautiful resort located on a splendid beach. I was very happy with the customer service but due to late booking in peak season it turned out to be a pricey affair for us. However the 2 wonderfully relaxing days I spent here made me forget about the money pretty quick!

Food: the dinner and breakfast buffets were absolutely sumptuous with the band singing songs in various languages for us.

Room: room was neat with good amenities. The bed was set well and we had a good night's sleep. However we did find two earthworms or something of the sort on the floor. We should've complained immediately but didn't !

Service: Service was prompt and people were very friendly especially at the front desk.

There were many activities on the beach and we did jet skiing and took boat rides.

Thank you Sarova whitesands for giving me a memorable vacation!

Room Tip: Ocean facing rooms offer the best views
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Johannesburg, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I have heard Nairobians talk about this hotel like it is all that and more. Our school went down to Mombasa for a national swimming meet for 3 days and had the misfortune of staying there. I say misfortune because the waiters seemed to treat the parents and kids (not the coaches as they were clearly the heading the group and they didn't want to upset them) like we were a nuisance. Can you imagine staying somewhere where you are made to feel like a nuisance? Our kids meet would start at 8am every morning meaning we would leave the hotel by 7am. We would try to be at breakfast earlier but it was not always possible so we would attempt to pack our breakfast and the waiters including the manager (whom we asked to talk to one morning out of frustration) would refuse us to do so saying if we were not having it in the dining room, we were not to have it at all! Despite paying for a half board stay we were not allowed to carry our breakfast because we were going to be late for our kids swimming meet. They would also give us bad waiter service during meals not to mention being rude to us. I have not in my many years at staying at Kenyan hotels encountered such pettiness and terrible customer service. This hotel is just a big hotel that has let its popularity get to it. Mombasa needs to get another big hotel well located to give White Sands a run for its money so they can remember that they do need to provide good customer service to the people who stay there. While I was there I could not wait to get out of there. I would not in my right mind ever stay there again.

Room Tip: Insist on a sea facing room when you pay. Apparently the more you pay does not mean you automaticall...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
nairobi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I can honestly say there is not a single thing about this hotel i disliked!. When we got there at 8 in the morning they had someone to take our bags to our room (only a small thing but i have not had this at most places) The breakfast, lunch and dinner buffets were great and the a la carte was superb. the entertainment was great and the number of pools/beach was amazing

Room Tip: any room is good to go
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Sarova Whitesands Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!