“Terrible accommodation. Landlord disinterested.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sportsman Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hayfield
Sportsman Inn
You added Sportsman Inn to your Saves list
Kinder Road, Peak District National Park, Hayfield SK22 2LE , England   |
Ranked #5 of 6 Hayfield B&B and Inns
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Terrible accommodation. Landlord disinterested.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

Originally a 2 night stay, left after 1. Rooms are terrible, photos that advertise the Sportsman terribly misleading, threadbare carpets, rusty shower, cold uninvitng bedrooms. Spoke to the landlord about state of rooms, totally disinterested, couldn't give a damn. He actually asked for his £20 per room Friday supplement - a disgraceful start to a much awaited weekend away.

• Stayed March 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Derbyshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Had a meal at the Sportsman Inn on a Thursday evening. Nobody else in the pub, cold , no atmosphere. Although there were candles on the tables non of them were lit. The meal was average , portions small. Half way through our main course we were asked if we would like to order a desert as the kitchen was closing at 9pm? Felt rushed to finish our meal, they started turning the outside lights off etc whilst we were still eating. Looked a bit shabby inside , could do with some refurbishing. Prefer the pubs in the village.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Wakefield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

just stayed for two nights via groupon its a real shame because this place has potential just needs refurbishing. The room was like a 1950's hell sort of place you imagine copping for on honeymoon after the war. the bed was small and bedding thin the actual duvet itself was disgusting all stained and thin the covers were clean and the towels . We had one meal in the hotel dry chicken in bacon and my boyfriend had gammon the chips I swear had been warmed up from god knows when. We were going to leg it after one night but stayed the two avoiding both the evening meal and breakfast we ate at a lovely pub a few miles down the road called The lamb it was lovely food the Sportsman was empty and I'm not surprised there was another couple who felt the same as us she had encountered a mouldy tomato at dinner and they also defected to another place for food the royal hotel hayfield said it was lovely. with groupon some you win some you lose this was definately a loss. I cant see how it can keep going its a shame,.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

We were here as part of a groupon and its a hotel of two halves. The evening menu had a good selection and both our meals were really tasty and well cooked. The range of drinks (ales in our case) was good. Breakfast was quick and nice to set us up for day.

Sadly on arrival the male member of staff made us feel very unwelcome like we were a hindrance and did not move away from the one table that sits next to the open fire for paying guests to enjoy (we were glad for other people to show up to break the silence). The room was like staying at my grans, thread bare, aged room which was cold.

So disappointed by this place that we left a night early. Would NOT stay here again, or suggest to anybody else other than for a meal.

Room Tip: Another hotel.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

My wife and I had a 2 night kgb deal here which included breakfast. Having read some of the poor reviews we were in two minds as to whether to travel. Thinking that it couldn't be that bad we packed warm clothes and hot water bottles just in case.

All I can say is that we had a very enjoyable stay and found the staff friendly and all facilities very clean. Our room was lovely and warm, plenty of hot water in basin and shower and clean towels each day, A comfortable bed with clean linen and two pillows led to a good nights sleep. Coffee and tea was provided in room and replenished each day.

Yes, the carpet was rather worn and the en-suite old and cramped but as a 23 stone chap it was big enough for me. The view from the window of our room was just a bank of overgrown bushes but we had no intention of staying in the room all day as we wanted to enjoy the Peak District.

The pub itself had a lovely log fire and good beer and the full English breakfast was very good.

I do not normally write reviews because if I do not like it I never return. In this case I felt I had to comment because we had excellent value for money and we hope to return in the summer. My motto is 'never believe everything you read'

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Derby, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

We were here on a Groupon offer (two nights, one evening meal). Having heard of the welcoming fire that would be awaiting our arrival, we were disappointed that this was not forthcoming. The candles on the tables were unlit. It just felt a bit tired and sad and lacking in something. The meal was reasonable (but not fabulous) and my dietary requirements were sensitively catered for. We felt that the food was overpriced for what we got, and elected to eat elsewhere the following day.

The major disappointment was in the room - one lamp wasn't working and when we mentioned this we were told it wasn't the bulb it was the lamp. 'So could we have another lamp?' We don't have any spare lamps. 'Do you have any vacant rooms with a lamp we could borrow?' Oh yes that would work. Hmmmn.

The room itself was clean and the bed was comfortable, but it felt very dated. The door of the 'ensuite' at one time had a towel bar and a loo roll holder but no longer. There was nowhere to put our fluffy white towels once we'd used them. There was only a small amount of toilet paper left on the roll - we nipped down the corridor to the communal lav and found another roll to see us through our stay. The shower was a tin box affair and I kept having to adjust the temperature throughout; by the time i'd finished, the shower head no longer stayed in its holster so I had to leave it dangling.

Breakfast was reasonable, freshly cooked (sausages were rather inferior but my husband liked the bacon). Fresh fruit would have been a nice touch.

On the 2nd morning we jumped out of our skin when the fire alarm went off at 4:50 - what was that about??? No idea. Eventually it went off again so we decided we weren't going to burn down.

This place is in an idyllic setting, absolutely perfect for some stunning invigorating walks. The proprieter assured us that they are very busy in the summer season but if this is the case I really wish he would invest heavily into the accommodation to make it a more pleasant place to stay. I might have expected this sort of standard in the 60's but it doesn't seem to have been touched since then.

In short, great setting but mediocre accommodation.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Wirral, England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Have to agree with review dated 1st November. No log fire, no hot water in en suite,(although this was rectified later), however, there was no heat in the radiator in our room at any time. The bed sheet was perfectly clean, but so thin there were small holes in it and we could see the mattress underneath. We had booked a twin bedded room and had to wait 2 months for this, so were disappointed when we arrived to be told our room was a double. We were offered one upstairs, but that was not a twin either. We took the lower room (3) as we were told it was the warmer one!

The ensuite was horrid. No where to put anything except on the lavatory tank - far from desirable. I think there had been a shelf in there at some time, but now there are just two holes in the wall where I think one had been at some time. The shower was rusty and uninviting. My husband had to mend the broken flush on the toilet when we arrived, surely this should have been noted and repaired when the room was cleaned before we arrived?

The evening meal was very disappointing. We chose steak - we were told it was not available, but a mixed grill was offered instead. This consisted mainly of rather dry grilled chicken pieces, some bacon, a sausage and an egg. My mushroom stroganoff was less than impressive, a small helping of mixed mushrooms in a sauce, with two pieces of toasted ciabatta drizzled with something green.

It was a shame, the Inn is in a nice position, and some Polyfilla and a couple of pots of paint would make a big difference. Also, a log fire would have been nice, it was the end of October and outside it was windy and raining. Even a warm radiator would have helped. We were there on a two night deal, but I am afraid we left after the first night, I could not face another night with that horrid bathroom. The place gives the impression of struggling financially to survive, although when I booked I was told they were very busy and that was why we had to wait for so long to get a twin bedded room!

Room Tip: Avoid room 3
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sportsman Inn? Share your experiences!