“Good trip for a school” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Chateau de Grande Romaine

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lesigny
Chateau de Grande Romaine
You added Chateau de Grande Romaine to your Saves list
77150, Lesigny, France   |
“Good trip for a school”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Although I wouldn't reccomend this for a family holiday, I would deffinitely say it is excellent for a school trip. The rooms weren't up to a massive standard however the rooms are clean and they DON'T have an infestation of ladybirds. Occasionally I saw a fly or moth flying around in our room however nothing that made me feel like I would never want to go again. The rooms are reasonable sizes for me and three others. The rooms are all in a long corridor on a different level to the boys. You don't stay in the big chateau that it says you do, instead you stay in one at the back. The food is not appauling however it isn't the nicest I have ever tasted. You do get the opportunity to try new traditional French foods such as snails which excited me. I really enjoyed them and I will have them again! If you do get to try snails don't let them go to waste. I would deffinately try them or else I am sure that someone else will almost eat the lot! There is a games room which wasn't at the best state however it was very fun to play in. We weren't allowed in the pool however we still had an excellent time climbing the Eiffel Tower, going to the French Market, going to Disneyland etc. etc. The evening activities that we did here were also amazing and I wish I could go here with the school more often. I don't understand why other people have rated it so badly because when you experience this with friends it is a really good trip (however not quite 5 star accommodation)

• Stayed June 2012
PGL_Admin, General Manager at Chateau de Grande Romaine, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback. Our aim is to provide groups with clean and comfortable accommodation and I am glad that you found this to be the case. I was also pleased to hear that you enjoyed the excursions to nearby places of interest. I hope you and your friends were able to practice your French at the local market!

As regards the food at Chateau de Grande Romaine, our management team take all guest comments very seriously and we are constantly working to provide healthy and satisfying meals with a French flavour. We have recently added sample menus to our website to give a taste of what we can offer - take a look at the 'Teacher Guide' section.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed the evening entertainment. This is included in our prices for all groups and our staff try to offer activities which are fun, as well as encouraging you and your fellow students to work as a team and learn a bit more about France.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and we hope to welcome your school back in the future.

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I am sure there are much better hotels in Paris to really experience authentic france. This hotel could be located anywhere, as nothing about it screams 'Paris'.
The facilities are good, rock climbing, absailing etc but who wants to be climbing man made walls in a field when you are in the capital city of France?!
As i said very much a place for rowdy schoolchildren who need to run off those excess amounts of energy.
However whilst the place itself looks aesthetically pleasing, the inside is plain and suited for young children rather than adults. The grounds are very nice for enjoying the Parisian sunshine.
Decent location.
The food is disgraceful, and to be honest after the stale bread offered up by this place, snails were beginning to sound rather appetizin

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your visit to Chateau de Grande Romaine. I am sorry that you felt the experience of staying in Paris was not as authentic as it could have been.

The main purpose of the Chateau is to provide a safe and secure educational base for groups of young people. It is within easy reach of the main sights of Paris and local French towns but its location (in 70 acres of its own grounds) allows us to provide facilities and services which add tremendous value to a group’s stay. These include entertainment every evening, sports facilities, activity bases and a dedicated Tour Leader to accompany groups on excursions. We believe that many teachers and group leaders choose to stay at Chateau de Grande Romaine because these extras would not be available at a city centre hotel.

Having said this, we do try to give the whole experience a French flavour by giving students the chance to try local specialities (such as snails), and offering activities which encourage them to learn French words and phrases.

I was sorry to read that the food did not meet your expectations; please accept our apologies for this. Our management team do take all guests’ comments on board and these are used to continuously improve the quality of our catering provision.

I am glad that you enjoyed the activities on offer and were able to benefit from good weather during your stay. Our outdoor, heated swimming pool is open from May to September (weather permitting) and provides an excellent chance for groups to escape the summer heat of Paris when they return from their excursions.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Allendale Town, null, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

This hotel is a very good hotel for a educational trip. When I went I thought you would be staying in the pink building but you were in a adjacent block. The corridors aren't 5* star but good for what your getting the rooms are ok but small and are only bunk beds the floors and surroundings are clean however underneath the bunkbeds there is writing from past people. The bathroom area is reasonably clean but quite small! However I had no problem sleeping or washing. The pink building is very dated and not as nice on the inside as the outside! However the food is good quality and I wasn't disappointed by it! Although some of the rooms upstairs such as the arcade and conference rooms were dated and felt quite bare! The activities inside the centre are very good but there are not as much as I have seen at other sites! However the staff have plentys of ideas for other games so your never really bored! However overall the centre is good for a educational trip but for families I probably wouldn't recommend it!

Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

after staying there let me tell you this, This is the worst room to stay in. My school took up about 10 rooms and out of all of them, this one had to be the worst. After seeing everyelses before ares,we thought the rooms were okay. Clean bedding, bug-free living and a tiny bit of mould in the bathrooms(which i could put up with). Thats when me and my 4 friends came to room 280. There was room 279 next to us so before exploring ours, we saw theres. Clean, spacious and they got 2 beds each. Then we unlocked the door into our room, room 280. We saw 3 bunk beds and with bedding folded up all tidy. A bathroom with a reasonable shower and toilete with a wardrobe that we could fit all our belongings into. Two bunk beds were next to eachother then there was another at the other side of the room (our room was quite long). I went to the toilete and when i came back i had been left with the choice of the two bottom beds of the bunks next to each other. I sat down on one finding out that it wasnt a mattress at all. It was made out of sponge. I never even slept in my bed, we changed beds every night when we found out room 280 had some secrets that were hiddin. I am now going to tell you about this room and what it was hiding from us... Our radiator didnt work and was dripping water so at night it was cold, we found at least 10 gigantic exotic spiders every day(and they webs filled with black ladybirds too). There was rubbish under the bathroom counter and mould everywhere, the beds and walls and deuvets were filthy(even though they "say" they get washed after eveyones stay but they have stains and toothpaste on, the beds had mobile numbers and gam and swearwords on them, there were 3 mouse traps under the beds and they werent even bunk bed they were 2 bed nailed together so that made them really unstabel. There was even toenails in the carpet! The activities and food were good though. But even that really pretty building was ran down and had mould and bugs in.Most people may think i exagerate when i say this but you try living in that room for a week. P.S if you get put in that room, bring lots of blankets as you will get cold in the night as yo will not want to use the dirty bedding. i hope pgl will read the negetive comments and build a new place for people to sleep so the next generations that go there can enjoy themselves. I LEARNED THE HARD WAY, DONT LET THEM SCREW UP YOUR HOLIDAY!!!!!! The activities are really fun though :)

Room Tip: if you get put into room 280..GOODLUCK
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
PGL_Admin, Manager at Chateau de Grande Romaine, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback following your visit to Chateau de Grande Romaine. I was very sorry to read that you were disappointed with your room. Our housekeeping staff clean all rooms prior to a group’s arrival and your room should have been as clean as all the others. We apologise that this does not seem to have been the case and would like to reassure you that this has been addressed through staff training. Our 2013 season began in January and so far, of all the groups who completed our feedback form, 100% have stated that the cleanliness of the accommodation either met or exceeded their expectations. We will take care to ensure that standards remain high for the rest of the season.

With regard to your other comments, the mattresses provided are the same in all students’ rooms. We have not received any other negative feedback about these, but we will continue to monitor the situation. The radiator in the room has been checked and is now working properly. Our housekeeping team have been reminded to remove any cobwebs as part of the cleaning process. We did have problems with ladybirds finding their way into the accommodation blocks during the autumn and we are taking professional advice as to how to prevent this from happening again this year.

I am glad that you enjoyed the activities on offer at Chateau de Grande Romaine. We find that groups appreciate the combination of fun and cultural activities which this centre can provide, as well as the enthusiasm and helpfulness of the PGL staff.

Once again, please accept our apologies and I hope that overall your school had a successful visit to Paris.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

I went to the chateau extremely skeptical about the place seeing as there were some bad reviews. But honestly that was by far the best holiday I have ever been on and I have been on some pretty good ones before ! I enjoyed it so much I found myself almost crying when leaving !

The rooms are basic. They are clean, have an en-suite (but nothing amazing) ! However the rooms did the job as all we needed is a bathroom and somewhere to sleep - not 5 star luxury !

The staff are well just purely amazing ! They are all so hilarious and are one of the reasons why I enjoyed my holiday so much and found myself in tears when leaving ! The activities they do are really entertaining and fun, they at extremely friendly, they act as if they've known you for 10 years, they made me laugh all the time and are such a joy ! Nick and Andy are the most funniest people I have ever met ! Nick being the hottest one ;P and Andy being the funniest one ! Andy, Nick, Tilly, Laura, Stacey and one other man (sorry I forgot your name) were the most amazing leaders ever !! Andy has HILARIOUS dance moves so make sure you get him to show you them !

On the tour to Paris, I thought I would hate it but they made me enjoy the tour so much !! Sadly, Nick wasn't there though !

The food was decent. Wasn't the best food I have had but I guess it helped with the hunger ! The packed lunch is ok, baguette sandwich with your choice of fillings, a packet of crisps and water. But food wasn't really an issue for me because somehow the food really filled me up even though it was ok-ish.

All in all, I have throughly enjoyed myself and without a doubt would love to come again ! I already miss Nick, Andy, Stacey and the rest of them and it hasn't been long since I came back to England ! Thank you so much to the staff who made my trip absolutely amazing ! I wish I could have stayed there forever or packed you guys in my suitcase but unfortunately neither are possible ! Everytime I look at the picture I have with you guys it brings back all the wonderful memories and it brings tears to my eyes ! Plz plz plz stay in that PGL centre because I will definitely be returning and expect you guys to be my leaders because I just absolutely love you guys and wish I could hop on a plane and see you guys right this second ! Amazing trip, thanks so much

• Stayed September 2012
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Like others I was dubious after reading some negative reviews. In the end I concluded that these were probably sent in by disaffected teenagers who didn't know a good thing when they found it. We went with teenage grandchildren and found the accommodation simple but clean, the food very good and the staff superb. The price made it great value for money. The only real let down was a hot August day at Disneyland, but it was included in the price! I would strongly recommend this centre.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

We were a party of Primary School children visiting CGR for 1 week on an educational visit. We arrived quite late in the evening and so we had little choice for dinner, what we had was tasty and filling. The Chateau was full and so we stayed in one of the rooms meant for the children. The room was no 5* hotel but it was spacious and relatively clean. There were two bunk beds, a chest of drawers and a wardrobe, a separate toilet and bathroom with shower. I think the rooms could do with a bit of a refurb. they weren't dirty but were a bit tatty. The bed linen was spotlessly clean !

The main building holds the dining room, activity rooms, small shop, staff room and bar and is again very clean but a little tired looking.

I found the food very nice, but I eat most things and think anyone who has specific tastes may struggle. We even got a chance to try snails (which are surprisingly nice) there was always fresh bread, salad and fruit available......there was also wine on the staff tables and again in the staff room, with some beautiful cheeses.

The staff at the Chateau are very friendly and any little niggles are quickly sorted. The activities are great, our children loved the archery, climbing wall and camp fire. On our last night there was a disco for the children which they enjoyed.

The location is very good, being relatively close to most places....leave in plenty of time to get to attractions though as the roads get very very busy and a 20 minute drive can easily turn into 90 mins if you hit traffic.

To sum up I would say this was a fantastic opportunity for the children to try some things they will never do again....I wouldn't hesitate taking another group next year. Although the place could do with a bit of a refurbishment.

Room Tip: We stayed on the ground floor and had alot of noise from upstairs
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Chateau de Grande Romaine? Share your experiences!