“NEVER Again!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 4 Tahlequah B&B and Inns
Wichita, Kansas
“NEVER Again!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Website totally misleading. In all our travels we have never stayed in a place with so many rules (no pets, don't fill your icechests, no food in the room, no oatmeal in microwave) Certainly no fun and certainly not clean. Stingy with the breakfast, too. Never again will we stay at this place!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Zug, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

If you are on an extremely tight budget, and simply can't afford the other hotels (which was my case when we spent one night here), be sure to bring socks or slippers to wear the whole time, or the bottoms of your feet will be black.  And bring your own bug spray.  The staff will come spray if you ask them to, but why have to wait?  The breakfast was no worse than most motel breakfasts.  Rate was almost half that of the nicer chain hotels in the area

• Stayed July 2011
Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

We travel frequently and normally stay at budget hotels such as LaQuinta and Hampton Inn if we get a good deal through an offer or Priceline. We also stay at Motel 6 and Super 8, as well as some mom and pop places around the country, so we feel qualified to judge a motel/hotel accurately. All we ask for is a clean place to stay with decent beds and hot water. Other things are just icing on the cake.

First of all, we booked this motel just a few days ahead of our stay with a lady working at the front desk who also lives at the motel. She gave my husband the on-line rate, which is a lower rate than calling in, even though he called to make the reservation. It was very reasonable and we were happy that we found such a great rate for our one night stay in the area. We were there for a fishing tournament at Tenkiller Lake, which was about 25 miles away from the put in site at Chicken Creek, so not real convenient, but there are not many nice places to stay around these parts.

After being led astray by our GPS, we finally found the entrance to the motel. It actually has two entrances. It sits back behind a day care, so it's hard to see from the road, but there are signs next to the road. We went to the motel check in office. There was a lady in the breakfast area folding towels and sheets. After waiting a bit for two others to check in, the man at the counter (apparently the owner) looked unhappy that we had such a low rate and told us that we were given the wrong rate, but he would honor it just this one time. We told him we appreciated it. Well, we honestly won't have to worry about going back again, because we will never stay at this property ever again!

We received our room key, which is an actual key, to our room on the bottom floor. This is what we had asked for, so we were happy to receive that. Our room with two double beds was non-smoking, but when putting our things in the very small bathroom, we noticed cigarette ashes on the counter and around the stool area. It appears the cleaning lady must smoke while she is cleaning the room, or she just doesn't clean at all. The latter may be true since our sheets looked as if someone had slept in them. They were very old with spots and stains,and very wrinkled. The room was really disgusting (see photos). It had a terrible odor, not sure what they were trying to cover up, but it doesn't work. The beds had the old, very tired dark bed spreads that cover up stains so they and the blankets came off of the beds immediately. The mattresses had stains on them, visable when we removed the spreads (see photo). The televison was so tiny we could barely see what we were watching when we turned it on. The blinds in the window were damaged and people could see into our room at night, which made us a little uncomfortable. The air conditioner unit in the wall had duct tape around it. The microwave had burn stains in it and was disgusting. We left the room and did not come back until we were so tired we hoped to go right to sleep. We did not even take a shower there because we were afraid to use the towels, which were old, thin and felt like sand paper. We left our socks on the entire time we were there because the carpet was filthy. The flooring in the bathroom was coming up and the trim was missing. The toilet lid would not stay up for my husband, which was real frustrating for him. We could not wait to get back home to take a shower. We left very early and did not eat the free breakfast included with our stay so we cannot comment on that. One positive, they do include Farmer Brothers coffee in the room, which is my husband's favorite. However, we did not want to use the coffee maker because it did not look clean.

Do yourself a favor, if you can afford it, stay somewhere else. We wish we would have. We noticed the previous review is from the woman who lives and works there, so it is not accurate. She was sitting smoking a cigarette on the steps when we arrived and stayed next door to us. Hope this helps you make a decision. The only way we would ever stay at this property again would be if they completely gut the place and remodel it. We live by Trip Advisor when searching for a place to stay away from home, and try to contribute as much as possible, both good and bad places we stay. We try to be as fair as possible, but we honestly cannot say too many good things about this place.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Independence, Kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

If you stay here ...check the sheets! Got ready for bed, pulled the covers back and there was HAIR on the sheets! Called the front desk and reported this. The front desk manager said he was sorry and did bring fresh sheets and changed them for us. I understand it is not the managers fault that his housekeeping staff did not do their job, but nonetheless, that did it for me! Also, another couple that we were traveling with killed 2 spiders in their room that night. We were looking for a clean room at a reasonable rate and were extremely disappointed.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Wichita, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

Nothing fancy. Fairly clean. We brought our five kids and two friends. The swimming pool was TINY, but okay. Very free about giving out pool towels. Lady innkeeper was nice to open it up in the morning for our special needs son. She was very hospitable, the man (husband?) less so. Ice cold AC...most welcome! Jacuzzi wasn't working, disappointing. Breakfast area was nice and clean...but the food was very basic...just cereal and juice and coffee. They had "biscuits and gravy" we wouldn't touch. This was an overnight location for us about 15 minutes from the Illinois River and great float trips. Casino very close and also places to eat--both local and chains. Not BAD for the money.

Room Tip: Ask about getting a suite...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Hulbert, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

I stayed with a friend in April of 2011 but had stayed here once before.It reminds me of the Old Route 66 Motels .The Rooms were clean (Ours was a smoking room )Surpising to have a smoking room that didn't overwelm you with a" Smoke Smell" .But I smoke so a non smoker might notice more than me.They have a rule if you smoke Ask for a smoking room .If you smoke in a non smoking room you will be charged for the cleaning of that room .It is a fair rule .I smoke I ask for a room I can smoke in .The Room they put me was a 2 bed but The beds were huge and quite comfortable (The smoking Single beds were full up that night.)They gave me a double at single rates for my inconvience and I didn't even have to ask.The TV. was not giant but at least a 25" to 27" TV.The bathroom was a little small but had everything .Plenty of white towels and rags soap shampoo even a hair dryer had enough space for me to put my Toiletries on and a night bag It was clean and shiney.It had this enormous Armoire to hang your wrinkibles in and clean dressers for the rest .The Wi-Fi on my laptop came in good and was quicker then some motels I've stayed at before.You can tell these nice folks care about the bad reviews .This was my second time staying there and I can tell how hard they have worked to make the bad reviews end .When I read them I tought they weren't talking about the same Motel. Couldn't beleave how harch some of them were .This isn't a big chain hotel with lots of doe.But the man and lady running it were kind to me and mine. The Water was hot .I know cause I took a hour long shower and it never did get cold on me. I Like this place and would spend the night here again .You can be snooty and nit pick the tar out of the place ,find something wrong with everything but for the cost and the classicness of it.and the Niceness of the Lady and Man makes it worth a stay.If your extremely picky stay somewhere else .You'll pay more and still might be disappointed.Oh ,I didn't even mention the big breakfast they have .(I got donuts at a Holiday Inn Express and had to take take them back to the room to sit and eat.)Here they got a nice room with tables and a place to sit with big windows to get the morning light and recharge your batteries,and a good selection of food including biquits and gravy. I know I'm a bit wordy in the likein of this place but I wish the others places I've stayed at were like this .I haven't stayed in a place that had this much charm and class and affordability since I was a kid takein long trips cross country with my folks and stayed a Howard Johnsons on Route 66 in 1973.Give it a shot or don't give it a shot, I don't care one way or the other.If you don't the next time I'm in town .I'll get a room here much easier and I know I'll be asleep before you .Sincerly-Ty Hooten

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

We booked our room through Expedia. The motel looked great on the web. The pictures on the web must be from the suites because the room we were assigned did not look like that at all. The room did not feel safe! We could see daylight through the door. The deadbolt and door jam were very loose. We had difficulty closing the door (it had the old fashioned keys). There was no way were going to spend a night in this room. We went back to the desk and requested a different room. This room's A/C did not work and it was dirty! After a long trip from out of state, we just turned in the keys and cancelled our stay. We were still charged for the first day and for a pet. It was such a disappointment!
I’m sorry to say that this hotel was well regarded years ago but it has deteriorated to the point that it just doesn’t feel safe anymore.

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to Oak Hill Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!